Help finding military records ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    My grandfather and hero growing up passed away in 2007. He was a Sgt. In the Marine Corps and served in the Korean War I know he was pretty well "decorated" and was part of major battles including Chosin Reservoir. I know for sure he had a Purple Heart but am almost positive he was awarded other medals because I remember reading about it when I was younger at my grandparents house...I have been trying for a while now to find any records I can on him but have not been successful...is there any way in as a civilian can gain access to his military records? Any info appreciated. Only pic I have of him from back then.
    qaqequty.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Yes to all above. It may take awhile but the DoD stores records even back to the revolutionary war. Computer records are much easier to locate. "Any" information you can provide such as SSN, dog tag/service num, approximate dates of service, rank, units served in, make the search go that much quicker. He might have kept his DD214, "Report of Separation from Active Duty." If you can find that it's gold for helping expedite the search. It would have been a document he kept safe. Good luck and be patient.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. I'm sure they have a web site. I was able to request both my father and father-in-laws awards and decorations from WWII. They also sent me my medals from Vietnam.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I ordered my grandpas records through the VA several years ago with no problem. The only issue with older records is many were destroyed by a fire at a records center many years ago. The links and comments listed above should be able to help you obtain whats available. Good luck.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    The center in St Louis had a fire years ago and lost many records. I tried to get my Dad's WWII records, but they were destroyed. If you do ask for them, be prepared for a long wait. I waited almost a year.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I ordered my grandpas records through the VA several years ago with no problem. The only issue with older records is many were destroyed by a fire at a records center many years ago. The links and comments listed above should be able to help you obtain whats available. Good luck.

This^. Some old war Vet records are gone for good! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom