Help from the AR experts.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am itching for a new toy, last year I bought myself an Arsenal AK clone for my birthday, and this Friday its coming around again.

I like KISS rifles more than tacticool rifles. I am currently thinking 16" barrel, A2 stock, mid length gas system, flat top upper, flat front gas block, 2 stage trigger. I am only running into trouble with having too many options! Seems like when you are trying to research everyone has a horse in the race. The less expensive guys say your wasting money on Noveske, LMT, BCM, Spikes, Etc. and the high end guys are saying Delton, CMMG, DPMS, Rock River, etc. are crap.

I already have a kit from Delton, and it functions fine, I was just thinking I would get something nicer, but I don't want to spend more than I have too for a quality rifle.

So who knows best, whats decent out there? I have EA lowers already for the build.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    this has been beat to death.. find one you like that is in your price range..

go with something that means something to you, like essential arms.. since they are local..

or spikes since they are gator fans.. whatever..

the machining finish.. is good on both.. that is the lower..

the upper is a whole different monster..

I suggest getting either a carbine or rifle length.. middy lengths are sometimes wonky to troubleshoot gas wise and sometimes wonky with low pressure powders or cheap ammo like wolf.

but as a rule.. this month bravo company is good.. pk firearms, stag, LMT, and dennys will always be great..

find one you want.. and that is significant to you ..

the 2 stage trigger is not needed and you can get as good a feel with the 15 min trigger job.. save some cash..

here is a thread on everything you need..
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=223495

I prefer , stag LPK, and essential or spikes lowers but cmt and lmt are great..

as far as uppers, pick one already together and the way you want it, its usually cheaper and you wont have to assemble it and worry if you got it right..

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I already have Essential arm lowers available.

I was leaning towards spikes or BCM. I was looking at LMT, but they seemed kind of indifferent on the phone. Seemed like they could care less if i bought a rifle and seemed annoyed I wanted to order a rifle over the phone, i would probably have an LMT kit on the way if they would have had better service on the phone. I could care less which football team they are a fan of.

I just don't want to spend $800 if I only need to spend $500, but it looks like a $450-$500 upper with LPK and stock of my choice should get me a dependable kiss rifle.

FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    I know where you can get a complete rifle like you're wanting for $650 with a nice little twist to it that would make it very interesting. Brand new of course, CMMG upper, PlumCrazy lower. ;)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd recommend the BCM lightweight midlength upper and build your own lower with a Geissele SSA trigger. Simple but quality, similiar to my midlength minus the tacticoolness.

bcm_2.jpg

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    I like KISS rifles more than tacticool rifles.

What is your definition of keeping it simple?

To me, a stock A1 or A2 configuration is pretty simple & functional without all the gadgetry. When you go with the flat top upper & railed gas block, then you have to add optics or other detachable sights which is not very KISS.

Same goes for fancy nancy triggers. Unless you are competing, stick with the stock trigger. It is a proven design and will save you +/- $100 on the build.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    What is your definition of keeping it simple?

To me, a stock A1 or A2 configuration is pretty simple & functional without all the gadgetry. When you go with the flat top upper & railed gas block, then you have to add optics or other detachable sights which is not very KISS.

Same goes for fancy nancy triggers. Unless you are competing, stick with the stock trigger. It is a proven design and will save you +/- $100 on the build.

I want a2 buttstock with irons, I just want something with a lower profile than carry handle/a2 front sight. There are some simple lower profile options out there. It really is an aesthetic choice.

jps1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Cypress Island
    I just got this one in on Friday and I LOVE IT! It has all the items I wanted on it and it came with a nice bag and a sweet azz knife. If your looking for a gift for yourself this ones hard to beat (pic is .22 mine is a 5.56). And its a Spikes!
    zhxjyj99minxd18uhnms.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

The OP never said he was trying to build the cheapest rifle possible. ;)

I do agree the adjustable triggers have no real place on a KISS rifle, the SSA trigger is built like a tank (I'd bet it holds up much longer than standard kit triggers) and allows for more accurate shots. Other than the $, there's no reason not to upgrade if desired.

As for the sights, a flattop upper with Daniel Defense fixed rear is considerably lighter and more versatile than the A2 setup. I prefer a standard front sight as they weigh about the same as a railed gas block with attached front sight anyway, minus the potential issues. A pinned FSB is the most sturdy, reliable method of getting gas back where it needs to be.

Top Bottom