Help identifying rank

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    I always knew my grandfather served in the Navy and was active in WWII. I know he was on a sub that made it out of perl harbor but after that its lost. He never talked about the war at all until about a week before he passed. He had a hand carved sub on his wall and he told me the story of how he carved it while on the docks in Hawaii. He said he would go each day at the same time and sit on the dock. He would hold this piece of wood up against the silhouette of the sub and carve until it matched. After he passed we closed his office door and found a hidden rack of just about any WWII movie that was made and he must have watched them several times. Something to much to ever discuss i guess. That is really all I know about that time of his life. Anyway he finally got a memorial at the Jacksonville National Cemetery and I wanted some help identifying his rank and if there is anyway besides Google to find out about his time/what he did/where he was. Anything really. I have asked my Uncle but never really get much info and my mom said he never spoke of the war as long as she could remember. They always had a special place with me and always wanted to know more about his life. I have a picture of the memorial and his plaque. If anyone's google foo is strong or if there are resources I might not know about I would greatly appreciate it.

P1010384.jpgP1010388.jpgP1010389.jpg

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    You can contact the Veterans Administration and they will send you a copy of all his service records which will tell you everything he did!

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Contact your member of the U.S. House or U.S Senate. You will need to fill out some paperwork but as legal next of kin a person can request a copy of the service record book and in some cases a complete re-issue of all U.S awards and decorations. The request is sent from the congressional office to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). VA generally only maintains records for a few years after an individual is discharged then the records are sent to archives and maintained by NPRC.

Last edited:

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    I'm a former submariner also. I looked around on ancestry.com a little and found this:

John Perry Owen
    Birth 23 Sep 1913 in Hamilton, Butler, Ohio, USA
    Death 04 May 2003 in East Palatka, Putnam, Florida, USA

If that's your grandfather then also listed was this information:

1932 Oct
    Joined US Navy

Marriage to Gertrude Angelan Ricks
    1936 1 Jul
    Fruitland, Putnam Co., FL

1941 Dec
    Bombed by Japanese at Cavite, PI

Medical discharge from Navy

I highlighted the Dec 1941 info regarding "bombed by Japanese at Cavite" because I believe the only sub lost at Cavite during the bombing was the USS Sealion (SS-195).

It's possible that he could have been on the Sealion... it's also possible that I'm way off. :)

ETA - you said " I know he was on a sub that made it out of perl harbor but after that its lost."

I'm pretty sure she sailed out of Pearl Harbor. She was destroyed in the Philippine Islands at Cavite in 1941 (the first sub casualty of WWII).

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Man, I love this kind of stuff!!! Keep us posted on anything else you might find about your Grandfather..that generation was very special for too many reasons to list..Thanks for opening the thread.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Contact the WWII museum in NOLA They'll help you get his service records.

My dad was the same way. He never talked about his service during the war. All I knew was he was in the navy and lost an eye while on active duty.

Last edited:

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    This is him. You guys are awesome for helping. Ill run with the info and see if I can pull up anything else.

I'm a former submariner also. I looked around on ancestry.com a little and found this:

John Perry Owen
    Birth 23 Sep 1913 in Hamilton, Butler, Ohio, USA
    Death 04 May 2003 in East Palatka, Putnam, Florida, USA

If that's your grandfather then also listed was this information:

1932 Oct
    Joined US Navy

Marriage to Gertrude Angelan Ricks
    1936 1 Jul
    Fruitland, Putnam Co., FL

1941 Dec
    Bombed by Japanese at Cavite, PI

Medical discharge from Navy

I highlighted the Dec 1941 info regarding "bombed by Japanese at Cavite" because I believe the only sub lost at Cavite during the bombing was the USS Sealion (SS-195).

It's possible that he could have been on the Sealion... it's also possible that I'm way off. :)

ETA - you said " I know he was on a sub that made it out of perl harbor but after that its lost."

I'm pretty sure she sailed out of Pearl Harbor. She was destroyed in the Philippine Islands at Cavite in 1941 (the first sub casualty of WWII).

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    My grandfather also lost an eye while in service. That is what I believe his medical discharge was. Funny story is he used to scare the crap out of me with it. He would hold it upside down and say look at this awesome shell I found. Then when I went to look he would flip it over and it was his eye. He also used to have me put the spiky seeds. I guess gum tree seeds next to the pool and wait for a porcupine to hatch.

Contact the WWII museum in NOLA They'll help you get his service records.

My dad was the same way. He never talked about his service during the war. All I knew was he was in the navy and lost an eye while on active duty.

Top Bottom