Help me with an old PC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I just picked up an older PC to use for a little while since my laptop went out. I am on it currently and it is not too slow. It is a Dell running XP with 1.25 GB RAM and a 2 GHz PentiumR 4. It is an old work computer and I want to wipe it and start fresh. It has a lot of bloatware on it that I think is the main problem. Anyone with more knowledge please give me a hand.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    If you have the XP disc I would just format it and reinstall the programs you want after installing the OS. If you don't have it then go to the add/remove software option in the control panel and just start removing everything you don't want

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you have the XP disc I would just format it and reinstall the programs you want after installing the OS. If you don't have it then go to the add/remove software option in the control panel and just start removing everything you don't want

Just because it's something you don't want, doesn't mean you should delete it. Find someone with an XP install disc or just use it as is.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    the old thing will run muuch better if you get rid of windows entirely, but reinstalling it will help.

I recomend http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Ubuntu Linux is every bit as easy to use as windows or mac os, only it is free for everyone to use and runs a lot more stable on older systems. The only things you can't do with it are play windows based games or watch netflix. If you are wanting to use the machine strictly for browsing the web and office work, you can't do better.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    +1 on ubuntu, I have it on several of my computers and on a jump drive. You can actually run it from a cd or jump drive to test it out. My wife and kid love it too. It comes with Libre Office which does everything Microsoft Office does.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    If the guy isn't sure how to wipe the computer and start over what makes you think he'll be able to handle a Linux distro?

I'd recommend installing Windows 7 on it. It actually runs as well as XP on older hardware and I find it to be a lot more user friendly especially when it comes to installing drivers and whatnot (Windows update will contain most if not all drivers).

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Lol, my mac has been sitting in the couch cushions for over a year. I may take it out one of these days.....

Alexis

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Well here is i just wan to suggest you to purchase a new PC because the Intel and all other
    technologies are introduce many new technologies to the world and this is good if you
    will purchase a Core i5 Laptop because this is latest technology...

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Well here is i just wan to suggest you to purchase a new PC because the Intel and all other
    technologies are introduce many new technologies to the world and this is good if you
    will purchase a Core i5 Laptop because this is latest technology...

New technology is very nice for watching HD videos and playing newer video games, but if you don't do those things it's pretty much a waste of money. Speed doesn't create stability, it only helps to mask the instabilities built into windows.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    New technology is very nice for watching HD videos and playing newer video games, but if you don't do those things it's pretty much a waste of money. Speed doesn't create stability, it only helps to mask the instabilities built into windows.

You're replying to a bot :mamoru: That's not a real person just something designed to get a few posts on a message board to start spamming people's private message accounts.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge

This is definitely the most direct route to take if you just want to get the old PC up and running w/o investing anymore $ into it. You will need to have the install disks for any apps you want to re-install or your can dl free copies of 'similar' programs' (e.g. MS Office use OpenOffice or StarOffice). Expec to spend an a$$ load of time dl the bagillion MS updates that have been released for XP once you have the OS re-installed :)

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    You're replying to a bot :mamoru: That's not a real person just something designed to get a few posts on a message board to start spamming people's private message accounts.

I had just woken up. I didn't even notice the bad syntax.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom