HELP! w/outboard

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I bought a used MERCURY 2.5hp 4-stroke outboard recently...

I laid it down for three days on the proper side. When I picked it up, the towel it was on was soaked with gasoline. When I got it upright, lots of oil spilled out.

The only thing I notice is that the red gasoline on/off valve moves up and down a little. You can see the red valve in the up position in one photo and in the down position in the other. Of course, you can see the oil level window is almost empty.

I guess it is NOT supposed to do that.

What went wrong and how can I keep it from happening again?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_2128.jpgIMG_2132.jpgIMG_2133.jpg

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    May not have been the right side? You have likely filled the cylinders with oil. Just take out the plug(s) and purge the oil. Refill oil to proper level.

Pull it several times, clean/replace the plug and put it back in.... it should start, but likely smoke like a chimney for a bit.

The gas may have come from several different places. I wouldn't be concerned with it, but wouldn't lay it down again with fluids in it. Watch out for other problems if you still had water in it too.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    May not have been the right side? You have likely filled the cylinders with oil. Just take out the plug(s) and purge the oil. Refill oil to proper level.

Pull it several times, clean/replace the plug and put it back in.... it should start, but likely smoke like a chimney for a bit.

The gas may have come from several different places. I wouldn't be concerned with it, but wouldn't lay it down again with fluids in it. Watch out for other problems if you still had water in it too.

Thank you. I'll try that oil clean out method.

There is a sticker showing which side to lay it on and it was in the back of my pickup.

Would driving around cause the oil and gas to leak out even though it is on the proper side?

If so, I may have to rig something to keep it more upright while in the pickup bed.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    what side did you lay it on? I had a Briggs 5hp that I layed on the wrong side(back side) and it did the same thing. I was supposed to lay it face forward. Maybe look at the owner's manual or get one online to make sure the sticker wasn't placed on the wrong side. Maybe drain the tank before transport also. I make it a point to drain the gas and run it out before storing it also to keep the carb from gumming up.

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    what side did you lay it on? I had a Briggs 5hp that I layed on the wrong side(back side) and it did the same thing. I was supposed to lay it face forward. Maybe look at the owner's manual or get one online to make sure the sticker wasn't placed on the wrong side. Maybe drain the tank before transport also. I make it a point to drain the gas and run it out before storing it also to keep the carb from gumming up.

Thanks, Hunter

You can see in the first photo I posted that the sticker says to lay it with the tiller handle side up. I did that but maybe the movement of the truck as I made turns caused the oil to come out...???

As far as manuals go, I looked online but all I found was to buy one from Mercury or Amazon for +/- $20
    I downloaded the service manual for free but not the owners guide/manual.

I'd like to keep transporting it in the back of my pickup but don't like it sticking up out of the bed. Out of sight / out of mind, you know...

If I can't be SURE of transporting it on its side, I'll just have to deal with transporting and storing it vertically.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Though it can be laid down on one side, may want to invest in a couple pieces of 2x4's and screws and build you a motor stand for it?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Clean it all up it should run fine. If over filled with oil and laid on the proper side you will still get drainage. It is very hard to get the exact right amount of oil in. The fuel cap is vented it has to be to run proper if you close the vent and leave it in the sun the expanding fuel will find a way out guaranteed. Store it with out fuel on the side as instructed, if you have to store it with fuel in it keep it out of the heat. I would drain all the oil, refer to the owners manual for the exact amount of oil needed put that in, no more. These motors with the sight glasses get overfilled almost every time even at the dealership level.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Clean it all up it should run fine. If over filled with oil and laid on the proper side you will still get drainage. It is very hard to get the exact right amount of oil in. The fuel cap is vented it has to be to run proper if you close the vent and leave it in the sun the expanding fuel will find a way out guaranteed. Store it with out fuel on the side as instructed, if you have to store it with fuel in it keep it out of the heat. I would drain all the oil, refer to the owners manual for the exact amount of oil needed put that in, no more. These motors with the sight glasses get overfilled almost every time even at the dealership level.

Thanks! See you on the water.

Top Bottom