HELP-- Where can I find 100% Tung oil?????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well, I stripped a stock and want to put tung oil on it and now cannot find it locally...Anyone know where I can purchase some locally or in S. La between NOLA and BR or northshore???? Never thought I'd have problems finding this stuff.....:confused:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've seen it at Home Depot as well as Ace Hardware. Don't get the Minwax stuff, though. It's not tung oil even though it says it's a "Tung Oil Finish". It's really just varnish.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Everybody seems to have Formby's Tung oil, which is a blend of some type, or the Minwax stuff mentioned above....I got some Tru-Oil thinking it was 100% TO but was wrong and ended up stripping the crap off after one coat with Denatured Alcohol and 000 steel wool after drying overnite....Hope I didn't ruin the damn stock....

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    100% tung oil is not great for a finish. I think what you're looking for is polynerized tung oil, as this cures into a nice finish where as the straight stuff stays soft and sticky for a long time.
    I've used this finish on many pieces of furniture and it has pretty tough finish (not as tough as polyurethane), but it can easily be top coated without stripping. It's not cheap but I won't use anything else:
    http://www.waterlox.com/

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    100% tung oil is not great for a finish. I think what you're looking for is polynerized tung oil, as this cures into a nice finish where as the straight stuff stays soft and sticky for a long time.
    I've used this finish on many pieces of furniture and it has pretty tough finish (not as tough as polyurethane), but it can easily be top coated without stripping. It's not cheap but I won't use anything else:
    http://www.waterlox.com/

Agreed. Waterlox is great stuff.

We used it in my mother's home to finish the oak countertop of a kitchen island. The top had the main kitchen sink undermounted in it and has never had any moisture issues. It dries relatively fast if I remember, too.

I think some ACE stores carry it.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've done up two stocks in tung oil, one in BLO, and one in Tru Oil. The Tru oil was easy. 5 coats, and you're done. It looks great, and it's durable. It darkened the wood several shades. The BLO was fairly easy too, but it took a lot longer. I had to apply 12 or 13 coats, and I had to wait several days between coats, so the oil could thoroughly soak into the wood. It darkened the wood the least of all three finishes. The tung oil took 26 coats before the grain smoothed out completely. I had to wait almost a week between coats - specially toward the end of the process when the oil was no longer soaking into the wood, but rather was drying on the previous coat. It darkened the wood pretty seriously too.

Of all the finishes I like the tung oil the best, but when I show my two Mosin-Nagants to friends, they can't tell the difference between the tung oil and the tru oil. Can you?

Tung oil:
    mosin%20nagant%20forestock%20oiled.jpg

mosin%20nagant%20tung%20oiled%20buttstock.jpg

Tung oil on top:
    mosin%20nagant%20oiled%20gunstocks%2002.jpg

Tung oil on left:
    mosin%20nagants%20oiled.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I bought some in Breaux Bridge at the Doug Ashy there a couple years back when I was living there. Remember it being a PITA to find too. It's "Old Masters" brand. You might try looking in paint stores as well.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well, I called everybody in the BR/Ascension area and nobody has the stuff so I went with boiled linseed oil, as I've been reading about on the M14 forum. The stock I'm working on is a Springfield Armory stock and they, according to a forum member, recommend boiled linseed oil on their stocks. I just applied my first coat and am very pleased with what I'm seeing. I'm thinking maybe 3 coats of this should give me the desired look I want--don't want a gloss or even satin look. I just want the deep color of the walnut showing and still have the rifle feel like its wood instead of plastic..We'll see how this turns out in the long run and if it is unsatisfactory, I'll try something else.
    My-rifle, those things are both beautiful....Thats one thing I gotta say about the Mosins, the wood is nice and when finished nicely they are plain beautiful. Nice job for sure. I'm gonna send your pics to a buddy of mine who just bought my Mosin.....he'll go ape-caca!!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Just remember that BLO won't darken your stock as much as Tru-oil or Tung oil will, so if you want a darker stock, be prepared to use a stain.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most of the stuff you'll find locally is Chinese crap that is mainly varnish.

Google Real Milk Paint; they have the real deal. I ordered from them when I did my Garand wood. I know that's not local, but when I put my stock up against a few acquaintances that used the **** from Home Depot...

FWIW, Real Milk Paint is where I ended up ordering from, also.

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    i got a tree dropping the nuts rt now. if somebody has a press i'll split it wit them. to polymerize it iirc it just has to be heated to certain specs

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    Man, you lost me......

I have a tung oil tree in my yard, tung oil comes from the nuts of this tree, look like overgrown walnuts, when you take the shell of the nut there is a stark white meat to it. when pressed in a press, like hyraulic or screw press the oil that comes out is the tung oil. if you heat the oil for a while it polymerizes and is a faster drying oil like "true oil", or you can use it raw. If you could find a press I'd send the nuts over and you wouldn't have to buy any.

http://www.waterlox.com/uploads/docs/Tung-oil-hotlink-story-REVISED-2.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I got it now!! I didn't know we were able to grow those in S.La.! Thats why you lost me there and thanks for the explanation. I don't know anybody with a press but the offer sounds great. How big are the nuts?? How big does the tree get?? Are they good for anything else--I mean the tree or nuts? I like your avatar too--nothing like a Luger!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom