HELP with 6 year old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Trying to get my son over flinching when shooting my AR. He isn't scared to shoot, and he has earmuffs, he just flinches when pulling the trigger. Trying to get him ready before letting him take a deer shot. He does know how to use the scope. any tips?

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Like the rest a 22 or even a good BB gun. You can shoot the BB in the backyard. Make it fun.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    A silencer helps too. It serves a muzzle brake and kills the flinch factor via noise reduction. Hell, it even protects hearing!

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Trying to get my son over flinching when shooting my AR. He isn't scared to shoot, and he has earmuffs, he just flinches when pulling the trigger. Trying to get him ready before letting him take a deer shot. He does know how to use the scope. any tips?

IF he really wants to shoot, do as others said and start with a .22, or use dry fire practice to get the muscle memory down with no recoil or report to worry about.

BUT, I would strongly suggest that you honestly evaluate if he is the one that wants to shoot.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I think people have gone overboard with taking very young kids out to shoot their first deer. Is this honestly what he wants, or is it the photo op that you want? If he doesn't really want it, I think you're setting him up for failure. A 6 year old is not a hunter. You can prop the rifle up in front of him, teach him to use the scope and press the trigger, but that does not make him a hunter. And he may be really excited to shoot that deer, or he may just be trying to make daddy happy. I'm not trying to give you ****-just something to think about.

An AR has minimal recoil, but it is a loud gun. If you are shooting indoors, or under an overhang, he should absolutely have double hearing protection. Foam in the ear canal and muffs on top of that. And make sure the muffs are fitting correctly, as they often push off when getting a cheek weld on a rifle or shotgun.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

How the Hell you been man! Like everyone else start with a 22, Suppressed would be ideal!
    Now if you want to meet up one day I'll be glad to let T-boy shoot one of my 22's

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    +1 on the .22 +1 On repetition +1 On making it fun. Since supprsssors aren’t exactly readily available like the other 3 are I wouldn’t put that as your go-to. if you buy one now it might get here in time for next years hunting season. I started shooting when I was 5 and my first gun was a glock 26. Scared the living #### out of me and I would constantly flinch mainly because of recoil and also because of the sound. But with enough trigger time with the gun I eventually learned to squeeze and let it surprise me. It’s not an over night kind of deal but with enough time and reps he will learn to control the urge to flinch after all he is still a young buck. .22s are always fun and can teach him a lot about fundamentals. If you have a 22 let him work with that until they’re ready to move up. When he feels confident to shoot his .223 take it slow and when he gets hits on target get excited and show him he’s doing a good job. Try to stress SLOWLY squeezing the trigger and keeping it depressed till after he knows the round makes contact this might minimize snatching the trigger. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck with your little man.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Here's some different advice...

you're trying to cure flinching. Age doesn't matter.
    Take him to a range. Bring a few mags. Put a single round in some, others empty. YOU load the gun. He doesn't know if its loaded or not. Let him shoot. After he jerks the trigger on an empty round a few times and you good naturedly pick on him a bit about it (NOT belittle him!), he will start focusing on keeping on target. I'd say one round in 5 is loaded to start, maybe even 1 in 7. LOTS of positive reinforcement for not flinching is the key.

Also, double up ear plugs with muffs. Most muffs don't fit kids very well. Kids hearing is more sensitive than ours...

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Is he really into it? If yes I’d move to a .22 and keeping it in the same platform would be helpful. If he’s not 100% into shooting just give him more time.

pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    Here's some different advice...

you're trying to cure flinching. Age doesn't matter.
    Take him to a range. Bring a few mags. Put a single round in some, others empty. YOU load the gun. He doesn't know if its loaded or not. Let him shoot. After he jerks the trigger on an empty round a few times and you good naturedly pick on him a bit about it (NOT belittle him!), he will start focusing on keeping on target. I'd say one round in 5 is loaded to start, maybe even 1 in 7. LOTS of positive reinforcement for not flinching is the key.

Also, double up ear plugs with muffs. Most muffs don't fit kids very well. Kids hearing is more sensitive than ours...

Second this cousin. Maybe snap caps set randomly in the mags. And/or let him practice with a rim fire ar gun.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    He is most definitely interested and excited with shooting. He has a gamo that he's awesome with. He does have a Cricket, but I don't care for the sights on it. I did consider letting him practice with the magazine empty. He really wants to get a deer. Although we've been hunting for two years with no luck, when the time actually comes to see one, I want to make sure he's ready. Will look into a .22 upper for him, sounds like a great idea.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    How the Hell you been man! Like everyone else start with a 22, Suppressed would be ideal!
    Now if you want to meet up one day I'll be glad to let T-boy shoot one of my 22's

Been good man, started a small business and been real busy. I appreciate The offer, we are out in the country and can shoot off of the back porch...when we have time unfortunately

Top Bottom