Help with finding mount and rings for a Remington 700 and 30mm scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    My scope should be coming in sometime in the next week or so and I was hoping for some advice on ordering a 20MOA mount and 30mm rings. I just looked at Badger Ordnance and was shocked at how much they were. I don’t think Jessica Simpson her self in a itty bitty bikini could talk me into paying over $300.00 for rings and mounts! I can’t help but feel they are way over priced, especially, when you can get regular mounts for under $50.00. With today’s automation in production, I’m sure I can find something for a much better price with great quality. Anyway, I was hoping someone would have some suggestions at a more affordable price with good quality.

Thanks!

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    what barney said. i recently went through the same thing and in the end i went with the seekins and egw rail. when you get them and put them in your hand or start installing them you will realize why you spent the extra money on them. ive used several different brands of rings leupold, millet, weaver, simmons pretty much all the regular store bought stuff. none compare to the fit and finish of a good quality set of machined rings.

you know how when you unmount a scope and you have those ring marks on your expensive scope. well thats because there was some difference between the 2 rings. you can fix that by aligning and lapping the cheap rings or just save the money on those tools and buy a good set of rings that are machined in a match pair.

think of it this way would you go buy a lamborgini and take it to walmart to get tires? for me just the assurance that i know my scope isn't going to move makes it worth it. ive put 100 rounds through my 270wsm since mid summer when i put my new scope/rings on. ive hunted with it all this season banged it around in the woods, on the fourwheeler, in the stand and when it came time to shoot i had no doubt it was gonna go where i wanted it and it did all the way out at 340 yards. before ive never been able to go from one year to the next without having to re-zero i would check/zero before hunting season and then hunt all year only shooting at dear when i got the oppertunity then put the gun up till next year. it never failed i would have to make some adjustment. i don't think ill be doing that next year unless i change my load.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    You can get an EGW 20 MOA (aluminum) base rail for about $40 (I have NF on my two guns and would not hesitate to use Seekins). Good 30mm rings for under a $100 I don't have a clue if they exist. I have used Seekins, Badger, NightForce and Leupold Mark 4 series rings. I like Seekins the best as they have the torx head cross bolt that bottoms out inside the ring so the rings are fulsh and you do not have a 7/16" nut hanging on the side of the ring that could get caught on something like the Badger, NightForce and Leupold offer. They all work but if I am buying it would be Seekins.

I know $250 that is a lot of cheese for rings and bases but.....rifles come and go, good glass and good mounts you hold on to. Remember you are putting together a rifle that you want to shoot a dime at 100. Not your daddys deer rifle. Little things matter at distance and if you have a GREAT rifle and scope but they are not held securely to one another the gun simply wont group. I found this out the hard way by chasing my ass for about 3 months, countless trips to the range, my zero would wonder, it would be here one day and another place the next. I was about to throw my whole rig into the field one day. I finally had enough and pulled the rings off the base and sure enough loose base screws were the problem all along. They only were out by about 1/4 turn but it was enough. The gun immedately held zero again and it consistantly shoots 1/2 MOA. (I had checked the ring screws and cross bolts more than once but could not get to the base screws as they were under the rings).

FWIW: I use 65 inch-pounds on the cross bolts and 15 inch pounds on the ring bolts so you do not crush the scope tube. 15 inch pounds on the base screws with some BLUE loctite. Remember INCH pounds not FOOT pounds.

Next time you head to your office in N. Lafayette PM me and we can see if we can get together and shoot a few.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I'm a dealer for Seekins. I've used their products so extensively in the past that they were one of the first manufactures I lined up to carry. I have 30mm Med. rings in stock and have some 20moa 700 s/a rails on order.

Barney88PDC can vouch that probably 70% of the rifles at the Predator Tactical Lone Start Challenge we shot in Texas with some of the best snipers in the country were using his rings. Rifles are carried by the scopes, thrown in the mud, laid on concrete pilings and then trusted to shoot 1100yds all while being soaking wet in competitions like that. You get what you pay for, but Seekins are cheaper than other good mounting systems and perform at the top with them.

wetuso2.jpg

p1010789.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom