Help with ordering a Krieger barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I want to order a barrel and I don't want to bother the smith until next week. I'm want to get the heavy varmint 1.250 X .900 with a 1 in 10 twist and I'm curious about the following:

1. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but the barrels are offered in 27", 29", 31" & 33". I think I want to end up with a 24" barrel on the rifle and I'm guessing when you purchase a barrel blank, the length includes threads. Which barrel would I want to order to wind up with a 24" barrel on the rifle? Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy is my main concern and I'll mostly target shoot with some occasional hunting. I welcome any suggestions on barrel length, but my main concern is which length to order. I'm guessing the 29" is the barrel to be used for a 24" rifle. I think the barrel I want to order is the Krieger 30cal 1 in 10" twist #17 HV 5-R 29" 1.250 x .900

2. 5-R vs. regular rifling. Please feel free to let me know your experiences with both riflings as I welcome all comments to help me to decide.

Thanks

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Might help if you list the caliber. If you want a 24" barrel then the 27" blank will be plenty long enough. The smith will lop off about 1" on either end (some just take it off the muzzle end) before threading, chambering and crowning. Barrel blank length doesn't include threads because there are no threads......it's a blank.

If you're building a .308 then what bullet do you plan to shoot? A 1:11.25" will throw up to 190's just fine and you'll probably get a little more speed from the slower twist. The only way I'd go with a 1:10 .308 is if you plan to shoot sub-sonics or 200+ grain bullets. Your bullet choice should determine your barrel particulars.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ohh, and the 5R vs. conventional rifling is a widely opinionated and discussed topic. Most consider 5R rifling to be superior...especially in the .30 calibers, but there are some conventional rifled barrels that just plain shoot. I like 5R because I believe it gives an smoother and more uniform shape for the bullet to mold to thus creating a better seal while traveling down the barrel and a more uniform exit when leaving the crown.

Think of how hard it is to get a broom into a corner, but open the angle up to greater than 90 degrees and it's much easier.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I've got a Kreiger 1:10 that is finished at 19". I ordered a 29" barrel blank. I went 1:10 because I wanted to stabalize 180gr sub sonics, Hornady RN work great! The consensus opinion on the best trade off in length vs portability in a .308Win is 22". I went short because my suppressor is 10" long and wanted a short barrel. If I didn't have a suppressor I would have gone 22". I can still get out to 1000 with it. I shoot 175 SMK's but plan to try out some 155 Lapua Scenar's. I went #18 LV and think it is still plent stiff enough. The gun consistently shoots 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups and usually closer to 1/2 MOA.

Brunoshooters.com stock a bunch of Kreiger barrels and may have what you need in stock.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Also thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com stocks Kriegers.

I hear Ritten Precision will be stocking them soon as well, but you don't want to deal with those bastards anyway.

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Sorry about that. It’s .308win.

I’m more partial to 168 grain SMK, Hornady A-Max or Berger VLD hunting or target bullets because of the slightly higher velocities with less bullet drop at the longer distances.

My main goal is to be able to make shots at long distances out to 800 and some day, 1000 yards.

Ritten, When you mentioned the 5R would probably give me a little more velocity, I assume this will also give me more foot pounds and also increase the effective range. Is this correct?

It may decide on a 22” barrel instead of the 24” barrel because of weight and portability.

It seems I can’t find anyone who carries the 1 in 11.25” twist barrels. Is this a special order from someone? If so, where can I find it? I checked Bruno’s and ThirdGeneration and it looks like neither carries it. According to Krieger’s website they do make the 11.25” with 5R in either SS or CM. Which would be my better choice?

I’m sorry for all the questions, but I’m trying to do my homework so, hopefully, I don’t have any regrets.

Thanks

BTW!! I just got my Jewell trigger in the mail today and I’m leaning toward getting the SWFA SSHD 5-20x50 scope. After looking at every possible available scope, I think the SWFA offers +100MOA of adjustment that is in my affordable range. I really like the Vortex HD’s but they are way out of my price range.

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I don't know why, but my post wound up posting twice and is the only reason this one exists. I didn't see where I could delete it so I edited it to this.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If you're going to shoot past 600yds then don't build a rifle around the 168's. Look to use either the 155's or the 175's or another bullet with a G7 BC higher than .500. 168's don't do well in wind out that far. Concentrating on bullet drop is like picking out a car because of it's color. All bullets drop. If you want a flat shooter out to 1000yds then build a 6mm. In .308 you want the most accurate and efficient projectile for the distance you're shooting. 168's are great at 300, but they're the wiffle ball of the .30 caliber bullets.

Every barrel manufacture offers a .308 caliber barrel in 1:11.25" or 1:11.27" twist. The stocking dealers may not have any in at the time, but you can order it straight from the barrel company. I didn't say the 5R would give you more velocity, I said a slower twist (compared to the 1:10) would. But yes, more velocity from the same bullet = more effective range.

Top Bottom