help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenner70065

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    kenner
    I sold a shotgun last winter. I was the original buyer. Jpso just came by with 2 deputies aaking about it. I did not get the guys id number. Whats going to happen next

kenner70065

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    kenner
    I posted on bayou shooter. I unsure if he was a member or if he called my phone directly. It was a 870 20 ga. he was over 18 . Arent the main requirements for a sale the persons age and if you knowingly sold a felon a firearm ? They said it was recovered in a crime. Likely drug related. Unsure from our talk if it was used in a violent crime or if it was iust in a guys trunk or closet when a searh occured

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    As long as you made a legal sale, I don't see why it would be an issue for you. Hell, you might get your gun back.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious how jpso knew to talk to you? Maybe someone gave your name?

He probably purchased it from a gun store.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As long as you made a legal sale, I don't see why it would be an issue for you. Hell, you might get your gun back.

- - - Updated - - -

He probably purchased it from a gun store.

Jack, please educate me here. Wouldn't that assume a gun registry? To my knowledge there is no national or state gun registry.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    They keep those 4473s around, they don't just get burned or something. That wouldn't be a complete registry, as it only is FFL transfers.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They keep those 4473s around, they don't just get burned or something. That wouldn't be a complete registry, as it only is FFL transfers.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. To my knowledge a 4473 does not include serial numbers or specific description of firearm ie Remington 870 20 gauge. I know the FFL will tell the ATF person longarm or handgun, but that's it. Not looking for a confrontation here. Just thought you might know something I don't.

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    The atf contacts manufacturer they say we sold it to FFl ( insert name here) that FFL then says they sold it to ( ) so on and so forth till they get to a 4473.
    Yes when a 4473 is called in all they say is long gun handgun or other if remember correctly, but the form is then completed by the ffl to include manufacturer model s/n and cal. all kept by the ffl. and goes no further unless a trace is done or unless multiple handguns
    Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. To my knowledge a 4473 does not include serial numbers or specific description of firearm ie Remington 870 20 gauge. I know the FFL will tell the ATF person longarm or handgun, but that's it. Not looking for a confrontation here. Just thought you might know something I don't.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    4473 requires a serial number, but it's not reported to the ATF during the background check.

There's no national database, but as you can see they can still track them down pretty well. It typically ends at the original owner though. If they knock on your door and you inform them "I sold it at a gunshow to some guy I don't know", then that's where the story ends. It's just an easy lead for them to follow up on, but no you have nothing to worry about.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The atf contacts manufacturer they say we sold it to FFl ( insert name here) that FFL then says they sold it to ( ) so on and so forth till they get to a 4473.
    Yes when a 4473 is called in all they say is long gun handgun or other if remember correctly, but the form is then completed by the ffl to include manufacturer model s/n and cal. all kept by the ffl. and goes no further unless a trace is done or unless multiple handguns

This is the way I understand it also.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Because some people missed it in the OP, he SOLD the shotgun, it wasn't stolen, so he won't get it back.

A trace does not always end with the single original retail buyer. Anytime a weapon goes through the hands of a licensed dealer as part of his business, the same type of transaction with a form occurs, and ATF can apparently find such records. I've received trace requests back where aside from the original buyer, pawn shops have been listed as having acquired and resold the weapon. Somehow those gaps were filled in between original retail buyer and later pawnshop transactions, how I don't know. I've also received back notification of previous trace requests by different agencies where the weapon has been encountered and a trace requested, so once they run a trace and compile data in that manner, they file it away for their own purposes. I can understand that to destroy records of a trace and have to duplicate it later would be foolish, but the fact remains that some data does accumulate in "their" files.

Top Bottom