Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Alright here goes my cousin is killing me he is 13 and scared of his own shadow. We are trying to get him into hunting and in our family that is law. Well he is so scared of a rifle that he will not even hold one. So this why I am asking I need a rifle that does not have alot of recoil as well as easy to handle. PLEASE HELP!!!!

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I think you should let him get confortable with shooting a gun on his own. When I was around that age I was terified to shoot a rifle. My dad would always offer me to shoot his 7mm mag every time we would go site in the rifles. He never forced me to shoot it, but he always offered. One day I finally decided to shoot it and realized it wasn't bad at all with the boss. Just let him get confortable with holding the gun, then he will become confortable enough to shoot w/e gun yall are trying to get him to shoot. A lot of kids that age are scared to shoot rifle, but I would think a 22lr or even a pellet gun would be a good start.

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Start off right, with a BB gun and interative (ie. chaulk) targets, teaching him gun saftey and building confidence. Move him up only when he's ready, .22/.410 or some other smaller caliber, then maybe a reduced recoil load (again when he's ready). Also FWIW, sometimes kids are scarced to try/do things b/c of self confidence issues. So make sure whatever method use, it is both fun to him and something he will succeed at easily.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Yes start with a 22 cal. if possible. I started with a 16 guage while dove hunting and I was scared shi$less when it recoiled into my 15 year old shoulder!!! Some prep talk is in order when going into larger "caliber" gun's. If I was told what to expect I wouldnt of been so surprised. start small and you should be allright.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Lots of kids are scared of the noise. Skip the .22 for now. Start with an airsoft and a collection of tin cans and smaller objects (toy soldiers, bottle caps, etc.). You want something reactive. Graduate to bb guns then switch to shooting things in the field. Bugs, minnows, pine cones, etc and bring stalking into the game. Then .22 at a range with reactive targets. Keep it fun. Move up to field trips and squirrel?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Spanky said:
    How about let him grow into it himself instead of forcing him into it?
    Unless he is ready, it will never happen and might only worsen things

Lots of kids beginners are scared of the noise. Skip the .22 for now. Start with an airsoft

This, all fundamentals can be taught and practiced using a quality airsoft rifle/pistol without sound and recoil. It will allow confidence to build.

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Ok he will shoot a 22 but that is illegal to shoot deer with in MS. I saw a .223 crack barrell in a shop in Baton Rouge. It looked like a good gun and fairly cheap but will a 223 bring a full size deer say a buck 100 yards away and weighing 200lbs.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It sounds like you want to start him off with a hunting rifle . If he's that timid with a firearm , you're making a big mistake . Like everybody said , start small and work up to it . He can always hunt next year .

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Unless he is ready, it will never happen and might only worsen things

This, all fundamentals can be taught and practiced using a quality airsoft rifle/pistol without sound and recoil. It will allow confidence to build.

This is so true...I have seen this happen with a few family members.

Start small and let them make their own progression...if any.

My 2 pennies

Top Bottom