Here we go again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    A friend of mine back in BR whose judgement and knowledge I have great respect for assures me one can go to another state and purchase firearms.

I recall reading right here on B.S that it is not allowed.

Would someone please cite the law applicable here? I assume it is federal.

I did look for it on the site but couldn't find it.

:ugh2:

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    No handguns. I think long guns vary from state to state.

This does not cover buying a gun at a shop and having it shipped to an FFL in your resident state and transferring from there.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I worded that poorly. You can't walk into a gun shop and buy a handgun and walk out it, outside of your state. I believe long guns differ.

Can you purchase a handgun out of state? Sure. No problem. Can you transfer a handgun while out of state? No. Must ship to an FFL in your home state.

deepsouthshooter

Not a Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    See ATF FAQ:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-resident

Based on a quick reading, as long as the purchaser's state of residence does not prohibit it and the state where the licensee's business is located does not prohibit it, an over the counter sale of a shotgun/rifle appears to be ok.

See 18 USC 922(b)(3)

See ALso: LA RS 40:1751 et seq.

FYI, the LA RS do not appear to blanket outlaw the sale of a rifle/shotgun by a licensed dealer to a non-Louisiana resident.

Therefore, I guess it would depend on whether or not the non-Louisiana resident's home state prohibits the sale.

This is just a 5 minute look, may require additional research and is not to be construed as legal advice. But hopefully, it will point you in the right direction.

Cheers

:cheers:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    See ATF FAQ:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-resident

Based on a quick reading, as long as the purchaser's state of residence does not prohibit it and the state where the licensee's business is located does not prohibit it, an over the counter sale of a shotgun/rifle appears to be ok.

See 18 USC 922(b)(3)

See ALso: LA RS 40:1751 et seq.

FYI, the LA RS do not appear to blanket outlaw the sale of a rifle/shotgun by a licensed dealer to a non-Louisiana resident.

Therefore, I guess it would depend on whether or not the non-Louisiana resident's home state prohibits the sale.

This is just a 5 minute look, may require additional research and is not to be construed as legal advice. But hopefully, it will point you in the right direction.

Cheers

:cheers:

This is correct.

You also no longer have the bordering state rule that we used to be limited by for long gun purchases.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom