High Power Rifle Rapid Fire Rule Change

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So, I'm interested in people's opinions on the NRA's announcement that they will be changing the rule for high power rifle rapid fire stages. For those of you who are not familiar, when one fires either the sitting (200 yard) or prone (300 yard) rapid fire stage, the shooter has to stand and then, when time begins, move to either the sitting or prone position to fire the stage.

The NRA announced that shooters will no longer have to stand, but instead will begin the stage from either the sitting or prone position.

My mouth is watering over the increased scores I will turn in.

BUT, will the Civilian Marksmanship Program follow, or will they continue to make shooters stand? My guess is that the CMP will still make shooters stand, so we will have two different sets of rules for high power rifle.

Do I see a different sactioning body for high power rifle on the horizon? :confused:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    CMP won't follow and NRA will lose more service rifle participation in their matches. CMP's National Matches already enjoy a 3:1 advantage in participation over the NRA Championship the following week. This is just another bonehead move by NRA to further alienate the majority of highpower shooters. If clubs decide to run their matches under CMP rules, NRA will lose $4.50 per shooter per match. If there is one thing certain about NRA, they will react when it affects their pocketbook.

In case anyone was wondering, I think the new rule sucks. But then again, I think sighting shots are for pussies. Learn your rifle; come prepared; make the first shot count.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Don't like the rule change. If it's for safety reasons I'm fine with that but just let us load after we get into position. Just taking away one of the things I like about this sport. If I wanted to plop my butt on down and take my sweet ass time doing it I'd be a benchrest shooter. If I stand and load after sitting this Sat. would I be disqualified? Hell, I'll leave my ECI if need be till I'm down.

Side note - I never got why the cross legged standing was ever allowed in the first place. I always thought that it just didn't look right. Now make us start at the 300 yd line and run to the 200 before dropping into position, then loading, now that there sounds like a challenge. :)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I think they should make it starting at port arms. :)

As the rule was before the change, you basically started in that position from the waist up. Your feet were likely to be set so that you could get into position both quickly and with the same natural point of aim as you had during prep period.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Interesting thoughts, all. Especially the "sighting shots are for pussies" thought. I remember one time when I took sighting shots and Dan didn't and I beat his ass. I guess if he ***** fits, wear it!

Anyway, I was thinking about this a bit and I have this proposal. What if NRA broke high power rifle into two different categories: any rifle (no one stands up for rapid) and service rifle (everyone stands up for rapid). If one can no longer stand for rapids, they are "forced" into the any rifle category.

Thoughts? (No pussies need post).

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I think the reasoning behind all of this as stated at nationalmatch is the inherent safety issue of moving around with a firearm that could potentially have bolt close and cause a slam fire. - ie. somebody cross-legged trips up, falls or sweeps rifle over others, bolt closes, BAM! The other problem comes in then because of those people who are waivered to be able to stay in position. You now potentionally have people who are in "front" of other shooters muzzles. I could argue that anyone could fall in any direction but I digress.

Just let us load after we get into position is all I'm asking. I suggested that standing shooters be required to keep an ECI in till down but seemed not well taken at nationalmatch because of possiblity of someone forgeting, closing bolt, breaking off a piece in the chamber/barrel and then trying to fire a shot. Now I'm leaning towards an open bolt indicator/eci that would hold the bolt open in case of an "accident" and show proof of an empty chamber that is strong enough to withstand a bolt closure ..... if such an animal exists.

// just trying to "stand-up" for myself.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    People have been standing for the rapids since 1903. Did we all of a sudden get spastic? The NRA made a rule last year that Seniors did not have to stand in order to retain older shooters. Now, due to the fact that NRA accomodated the few, they are going to change the game for everyone.

Of course, there is that other theory - David Tubb, one of the premier highpower shooters of all times (he has something like 11 national titles in across the course), had to have hip replacement surgery. He now has a medical waiver that allows him to stay in position for the rapids. So one of the best shooters in the game now has an advantage. I am sure that other top ranked individuals didn't whine at all when that happened. This couldn't be the result. Things like that do not happen. yea right.

And yes. jdhunt3 did beat me once because I chose to not shoot sighting shots in an NRA match where they were allowed. It turns out that my windage was off by 1 full revolution to the left (about 2.5 MOA) and I shot an 8 at 9:00 on my first shot because of it. My bad, I should have checked my gun better. jdhunt3 whupped my ass. How many Xs was it? I don't remember.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    People have been standing for the rapids since 1903. Did we all of a sudden get spastic?

Did they stand cross-legged in 1903? I don't know but I seriously doubt G.I.'s were allowed to "pirouet". It just seems unnatural to me. Don't get me wrong, I've tried it, I just don't feel as safe waiting to drop as standing firmly on two straight legs plus I'd hate to be the first numbnutt in NRA/CMP history to tip over and shoot somebody in the ass. If I remember correctly, I had asked Jay or Lee awhile back if it was legal to use the stool for support before going into postition and I believe the answer was yes. If you have to use support to stand then that doesn't seem safe from the get go.

It turns out that my windage was off by 1 full revolution to the left (about 2.5 MOA) and I shot an 8 at 9:00 on my first shot because of it.

Still stings??? Must seeing how you remember almost every detail. :p

I'm off to dry-fire.....

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    CMP won't follow and NRA will lose more service rifle participation in their matches. CMP's National Matches already enjoy a 3:1 advantage in participation over the NRA Championship the following week. This is just another bonehead move by NRA to further alienate the majority of highpower shooters. If clubs decide to run their matches under CMP rules, NRA will lose $4.50 per shooter per match. If there is one thing certain about NRA, they will react when it affects their pocketbook.

In case anyone was wondering, I think the new rule sucks. But then again, I think sighting shots are for pussies. Learn your rifle; come prepared; make the first shot count.

I have zero experience with High Power but:
    I like and support the NRA for their political clout on the 2nd admendment issues, But their stance (lack of active promotion) and changes to the rules on established shooting games leaves much to be desired. They took over the Bianchi Cup and attendence has dropped (they also institued a minimum trigger pull weight requirement for absolutely no valid reason other than they could, IMO).
    Bullseye is all but dead, PPC is limited to LEO only can't have civilian shooting at a humanoid target!! And it's dying as well). They have formed a committee to look into sanctioning/taking over 3-Gun. Just imagine the havoc they will wreck on that, folks running with a loaded gun and shooting at humanoid targets. :rolleyes:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    CMP sanctioned matches are growing for a number of reasons best left to an after match BS session. CMP puts on the National Matches, commonly referred to as CMP week, at Camp Perry the week before the NRA holds its National Championship Match. If you were to compare the match programs, NRA week has the most bang for the time spent. 264 rounds over 4 days. For CMP week, if you shoot the team matches, you only fire 160 rounds over 4 days. Some days have only a 30 round match that takes all day to shoot. Yet, every year CMP draws 3X the entrants that NRA does and more importantly, CMP week is expanding and NRA week is shrinking. The problem has to be the management since the basic course of fire is the same.

By the way, CMP matches are limited to service rifles and no sighters are allowed in any match. Pure rifle shooting at its best.

Top Bottom