High Standard AR's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I checked out some High Standard AR-15's at 10-8 Tactical in Harahan and wanted to get some feedback on them. I hope this turns out good, because I purchased the gun yesterday. It was my first AR and I have told myself since the first time I saw one that I would not purchase one. BUUUTTT...I shot one or two too many at the range and was hooked. The guy running the place (Maurey, I think was his name) was excellent to deal with. He patiently answered my dozens of questions on things and not only did he answer them, he explained them too. He let me get the feel for quite a few models and after I explained what I wanted it for, he suggested a few to me and I walked out with a HS with a 16 inch barrel. This is my first purchase of anything other than a rifle for hunting and I wanted to buy one that would be good for a beginner and I did not need all the tacticool stuff to add to it and he said this one would be good to learn with. Besides, once I get back from Army basic training, I would have a pretty penny if I choose to decide to build a new one.

To cut off the story, are the HS considered good quality? I know it was dumb of me to go out and buy that particular one without looking into it, but I hear a lot of the quality of the gun is put on the owner and the guy seems like he can be trusted. I am a stickler to cleaning my guns and whether they are shot or not, they get a monthly cleaning and an all out clean every 3 months. I also read a lot of good feedback on this shop from others on here who are more knowledgeable then myself so I had no problem walking in and listening to what he had to say.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Thanks for the welcome! I did a search here but both words were so common and I only came across one person who said they had one and they even bought it from the same guy/place.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    my agency has issued out several dozen of the High Standard AR's, as far as I know the only problems have been a few imporperly staked gas keys, i'm sure someone on here will post up what exactly that means within the next few hours. Other than that (which happens with many other AR manufacturers), they appear to be solid rifles. A member here, LSP972, is one of our armorers so I'm sure he has more knowledge on them than I. I dont have one issued as I carry my personal Rock River AR.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Good for you Tim.

Just shoot it and enjoy it. I know nothing about that specific weapon but their isn't IMHOP much difference between most of them.

Key's being staked right or wrong is very much a matter of opinion. It's like one of those INTERNET legends that everyone hears about but nobody's seen.
    Not to say you should not look at yours to make sure

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I didn't know High Standard made AR's... They made high quality .22 target pistols back in the '60's. (I read recently that some of those old guns were still in use by the navy SEALs equipped with silencers.) Anyway, if your gun is made by High Standard I'd say odds are its pretty well made. Second of all, if Maurey is willing to carry it and recommend it, that's another good reason to think its a worthy purchase.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    HS introduced "mil-spec" ARs about two years ago, if I remember correctly. They do a 16" Carbine A2 and A3 and a 20" A2 and A3 style. We have sold several rifles and experienced nothing but positive feedback. The only shortfall, in my opinion, is the A3 guns don't come with a carrying handle.

Here is a link to the sight and a link to a GUNBLAST.COM review.

High Standard AR Rifles

Gunblast.com Review

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I have the HSA-15 CARBINE A2 HSTX6501. He had some with the rails but for my first one I want to learn the basic stuff first. The only things that I PLAN(and we know how plans go when you are building something) on adding is a light and possibly a scope mounted on top of the handle.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    High Standard has been getting good reviews across there whole line. If I have the story correct, it is an older name that has been sold. New company sort of thing.

The best bet gun is often the gun you have. Don't second guess it, enjoy it & see for yourself. AR's are a beautiful thing.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I don't know. I went to their website and looked at their .22 pistols. They don't look any different than they did in the '60s.

Well the "I don't know" part is correct:

In the spring of 1993, High Standard Manufacturing Company, Inc. of Houston, Texas acquired the Company assets and trademarks, as well as the .22 Target Pistols. These original assets were transferred from Connecticut to Houston, Texas in July of 1993. The first shipments of Houston manufactured pistols began in March, 1994.

The company is now housed in a modern building in an industrial park in Houston. However, its Connecticut roots are continued with our National Parts Distributor, G.W. Elliott Inc., located in East Hartford; and Bob Shea from North Haven, working with our Custom Gun Shop.

Many civilian and military shooting teams have already acquired these fine pistols for the National and International Competitions! In fact, at the 1995 National Matches at Camp Perry, the number one pistol brand on the .22 caliber firing line was High Standard. The High Standard Manufacturing Company, Inc., Houston, Texas is continuing the traditions of this fine American company!

You can now find a supply of new pistols, repair parts and qualified repairs for your favorite High Standard pistols.

High Standard's are once again, the "Choice of the Champions!™"

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I have a High Standard 1911 and I have very few problems with it. Most of the issues I experience are magazine problems, as I buy the cheapest ones I can find, and buy a lot of them.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Key's being staked right or wrong is very much a matter of opinion. It's like one of those INTERNET legends that everyone hears about but nobody's seen.
    Not to say you should not look at yours to make sure

I agree people get all crazy about it, but during my 3 day rifle class we did have one of the HSA-15's start short stroking because it worked loose, after that they started double checking them and they all checked out ok. They dont need to be gorilla staked to be fine, but they do need to be there.

Top Bottom