highschooler suspended after disarming gunman on bus.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    At the risk of sounding ill-hearted, I'm going to go on a limb and say that this school and any given New Orleans public school probably have a lot in common.
    With that said, if the teen was involved in an altercation that one party decided to escalate, whether he wrestles away a pistol or not, he was still involved in an altercation.
    The only probable difference here is that instead of fist fighting for five minutes, they had to disarm the one who "one-upped" the situation.
    I know that makes me sound cold hearted, but I can't absolve a kid of his woes, when I truly believe he was just as much a part of the argument as the dummy with the pistol. Saving his own hide doesn't earn a free pass in my book.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    I hate seeing this article repeatedly posted without thorough thought. The kid refused to support the investigation. Also the policy is to allow for time to ensure that the authorities involved can find out who the actual culprit was to prevent them from returning to school and completing whatever altercation was started because the authority took someone's (likely a childs) word for it. The kid should be rewarded, but I sure as hell want the school to know without a doubt which kid the gun belonged to before letting them back on campus.

From the article "According to the mother, the school suspended her son because he refused to cooperate in the investigation. She says he was scared."

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    At the risk of sounding ill-hearted, I'm going to go on a limb and say that this school and any given New Orleans public school probably have a lot in common.
    With that said, if the teen was involved in an altercation that one party decided to escalate, whether he wrestles away a pistol or not, he was still involved in an altercation.
    The only probable difference here is that instead of fist fighting for five minutes, they had to disarm the one who "one-upped" the situation.
    I know that makes me sound cold hearted, but I can't absolve a kid of his woes, when I truly believe he was just as much a part of the argument as the dummy with the pistol. Saving his own hide doesn't earn a free pass in my book.

3 kids interceded in an argument between the gunman and another. the 3 were not involved untill the gun came out.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I hate seeing this article repeatedly posted without thorough thought. The kid refused to support the investigation. Also the policy is to allow for time to ensure that the authorities involved can find out who the actual culprit was to prevent them from returning to school and completing whatever altercation was started because the authority took someone's (likely a childs) word for it. The kid should be rewarded, but I sure as hell want the school to know without a doubt which kid the gun belonged to before letting them back on campus.

From the article "According to the mother, the school suspended her son because he refused to cooperate in the investigation. She says he was scared."

and if i were going to a school like that i would not cooperate either.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

I would agree with this.

Even in the '90s, if you were involved in any shape fashion or form, in an altercation, you received similar punishment. Perhaps not as much, or even a tenth of what the other person received. But you will be punished for being "in the fight" so to speak.

I really doubt this gunman came up, started waving a handgun and the guy tackled him from behind as being an innocent bystander. THAT would garner outrage and disbelief. The other just means he was involved in a situation that resulted in brandishing a firearm. We don't see where the principal says "good job, however that doesn't exclude you from what occurred up to that point." For all we know, this guy could have started the fight.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

Okay. So he was an innocent bystander who grabbed the gun. Good job.

But considering the amount of confusion and seriousness of the situation, especially someone who isn't cooperating?

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Okay. So he was an innocent bystander who grabbed the gun. Good job.

But considering the amount of confusion and seriousness of the situation, especially someone who isn't cooperating?

Ask ANY attorney. All of them will say, "Never talk to a cop." It might have been the smart thing for the kid to keep his peace.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Which is also why he got an 'Emergency Suspension' and not a by default 'Disciplinary Suspension' which he could have recieved for refusing to cooperate. Seems like they let him off with the Emergency one according to the articles on the story but the mom is still confused.

According to the mother, the school suspended her son because he refused to cooperate in the investigation.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ask ANY attorney. All of them will say, "Never talk to a cop." It might have been the smart thing for the kid to keep his peace.

I bet Bernie Goetz would agree with you on that one, today.

Top Bottom