Hiking La/MS ? Tunica Hills or Clear Creek?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    The wife and I are planning a hike next weekend. We are trying to decide on Tunics Hills or Clear Creek ? Obviously going to one of these two for the waterfalls and because we understand they are both beautiful. We have never been to either so my questions are which one should we go to and are you allowed to hike with a firearm on either? Also will we be good to go on water if we filter out there so that we're not carrying a couple gallons of water?

Any help, other advice or information as far as what to bring and all that is much appreciated. Thank you.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Add Clark Creek near Woodville, MS to that list. Haven't been yet, but it is on my list of day trips during hunting season.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Don’t get Tunica Hills Wma confused with Clark creek. It happens allot and hunting season has started on tunica hills. I’ve been hunting there and crossed paths with some young hippies who thought they were at Clark creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Since you've never been to either... just so you know these aren't waterfalls like you see in TN or AR. There's a 2" deep stream that drops over a 10' ledge... It is a nice place to hike though... and yes, watch for wma hunters. Blaze orange isn't a bad idea this time of year.
    Also, be careful if you bring any alcoholic beverages. Some of the MS counties are dry...

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    Clark's creek is an awesome place for hiking. My son and I go there often, you will need to bring $4 cash to drop in the box (no ATM in the woods) and put a tag on your rearview mirror so you dont get a ticket. Trails are a few miles. AT&T and Verizon don't work much past the main park entry. Only restroom is at the main entry. I'm unsure if open carry is allowed but I do CCW.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Clark's creek is an awesome place for hiking. My son and I go there often, you will need to bring $4 cash to drop in the box (no ATM in the woods) and put a tag on your rearview mirror so you dont get a ticket. Trails are a few miles. AT&T and Verizon don't work much past the main park entry. Only restroom is at the main entry. I'm unsure if open carry is allowed but I do CCW.

This^^^
    Great place to go if you are looking for a day hike

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Clark Creek is a great place to hike. I call it a mini Smokey Mountains. Before it became a state park we would overnight camp there. Set up camp near a waterfall and fall asleep to the sound of falling water. I much rather hike the creek bed than use the man made trails.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Last time I went out to Tunica, there were a bunch of idiots smoking weed and drinking out by the waterfall. If you go out there, get off the main trail ASAP to get away from the masses of stupid people. I'm fairly certain that weapons are prohibited out there, but I also haven't seen anyone getting patted down. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

As for the water, I'd recommend just bringing a CamalBak for a day hike. The exit isn't too far during most of the hike as it kind of goes in a circle.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    What your calling Clear Creek, is it possible you mean Clear Springs in Bude, MS?
    There are many miles of trail, a close Mecca for the mountain bike crowd, but still usable for hiking. Research the trail maps before going out there. With hunting season rapidly approaching, I will suggest multiple pieces of hunter orange.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    Yes I absolutely do mean Clark Creek not clear creek. Sounds like I'm going to Clark creek dude to hunting season on the WMA I don't think hunting is allowed in Clark Creek but I'm sure there are non law abiding citizens out there too. I've heard stories of hippies and people out there messing around rather than hiking and that's the main reason I'm asking about the firearms thing. Wish I had a clear answer as to wether they are allowed in Clark Creek, I do realize I can always just CCW but I'd still feel better knowing I'm ok in case for some crazy reason I run into the law out there.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    263977360a5609c0dc4575a1c0bdc0b2.png

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member