Hiking the West Highland Way in Scotland. Moors, dales and lochs oh my !!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife and I started planning this trip over a year ago. We had been to Ireland before and really enjoyed it, so we figured we’d probably like Scotland just as much and we were not disappointed. We picked October to make the trip as usually the weather is cool and less rainy, plus the pesky midges that are famous biting insects are just about done for the year. It was also my 60th birthday and our 20th anniversary. The West Highland Way is one of the most iconic trails to hike and is located north of Glasgow. The length is 96 miles long and starts in Milngavie ( pronounced Mill Guy) and travels north to Fort William. The trail starts out rather flat going through pastures and what they call the lowlands and eventually makes its way to the highlands. The highlands are large hills and mountains which have been described as looking like another world when hiking through them. Just think about the movie Braveheart and Lord of the Rings and you have a good picture of what it looks like. The trail also travels along Loch Lomond which is the largest loch or lake in Scotland. The trail is comprised of single track dirt trails, old military roads ( circa 1800 ‘s) and rocky mountain trails. You also hike some small country roads and larger highways which connect you to towns and keeps the trail continuous. The hike is tough with the trail along Loch Lomond being the hardest for us. Lots of ups and downs with rocks, roots, and mud. There are some pretty steep climbs such as Conic Hill and The Devils Staircase. We had trained as good as we could before we went so we made it, but not easily. It also helped that we have hiked a couple hundred mikes on the AT so we were well aquatinted with big climbs and rocky paths. We were on the trail for 8 days and stopped every night at various towns and villages to sleep each night. We stayed at a variety of small hotels and B&B’s. They were all unique in their own way with some being more upscale and others like a room at your grandmothers house. We also had some great food along the trail and really enjoyed all of the Inn Keepers and owners of the B&B’s. As usual we met some of the nicest people from all over the world who were hiking the trail just like us. We met people from England, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Netherlands, Canada, and the good ole USA. It is so interesting to see how other people live and get their view of the world. My wife calls me the “interrogator” as I tend to ask them lots of questions as we walk along the trail. Most are more than willing to answer them so I just keep asking.
    All in all, we had one of the most memorable trips and the views while hiking were incredible. If any of y’all are wanting to do a trip overseas, Ireland and Scotland are great places to start. You will inter-grate seamlessly as English is the language everyone speaks and the food is plenty good enough for chaps like us. It is also very easy to travel by train or bus, and
    57379886f59ef451c791453c39f6499b.jpg

then you can walk from there. The British pound is the currency, but you could prolly go the whole trip just using your credit card.
    Enjoy the pics and I hope everyone is doing well as we head into the holidays.
    7811591b80548bdb1b9e8bce4870d951.jpg

ed6cf42ea61d050fa068dd069966e724.jpg

78e8173b0752d64271aa8af53d427a7c.jpg

3ed36a40fd7d59a57b4ace058e25104c.jpg

7150f474ca00067427e9243bbd5e83ae.jpg

e4eef9be4104e8e19d2d76cdd00c8cb5.jpg

b87e563da0e007253366a4a627c7051c.jpg

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    Love the photos. Took the wife over in Oct 2012 for a few weeks. There is one spot we found between Aberdeen and Edinburgh, that if there wasn’t a castle on the mountain, you would swear you were on I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville

I recommend Scotland to anyone who gets the chance to go.

Loch Lomond then

IMG_7289.jpeg

Ben Glass Falls
    IMG_7291.jpeg

In the Highlands
    IMG_7290.jpeg

Loch Ness

IMG_7292.jpeg

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    Wow! That's SO cool! My mothers people came from Scotland (The Inner Hebrides and the Argyll area) and I've always wanted to visit. Good thing you were able to go. You know, with the plans for the 'great reset' people can take one trip on a plane every 3 years. Did you try any Scottish Whiskey? I enjoy talking to people who live outside of the US.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I know you are sorta joking about the reset, but that’s always in the back of my mind. I guess that’s why I’m trying to get out as much as possible. We did not try the whiskey as I’m not much of a whiskey drinker these days but if a man want to visit whiskey nirvana he truly needs to go to Scotland. We did buy some small bottles for some friends so I’ll have to get a report for you. We have been on a non alcoholic beer kick, so we did try some really good brews that were alcohol free.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Love your travelogues
    Thank you my friend. Try to give people the real scoop about my travels. I did make a trip to Nova Scotia this summer that was the trip from hell so I didn’t write about it. We had bad flight delays and I mean bad. They stuck us in New York for two days and to top things off I got Covid. I was really sick and was in bed the whole time I was in Canada. Trying to get in to see a doctor is virtually impossible short of going to the emergency room so I just suffered through it. They prolly wouldn’t have done anything anyways. I ginslly made it home snd it took me another two weeks to recover. It really made me appreciate not being sick and made me really feel for the people battle long term illness. God bless them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bro, talk about an awesome trip! Love it! How any miles did y'all log?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We completed the whole trail which is 96 miles in length. We did it in 8 days but you can easily finish it in less than that as we had two days where we basically just hiked 1/2 days. We took our time and I felt like we got to see Scotland in a way that many people don’t. You would really enjoy it.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just awesome. My family crest come from Kilkenny. My dad and sister have made the trip over the there. It’s something I strive to do one day.
    You really need to go. The Scottish people were really good to us and treated us well. The country is such a beautiful place. So much history and culture. It’s also a very easy place to travel as the train and bus system can get you anywhere you need to go.

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    There is a Whiskey Trail in Scotland that goes to several distilleries.
    I’ve been in 34 countries outside the US (been on 6 of the 7 continents) and Scotland was one of my favorites.

But for those that may never get a chance to go overseas, America has LOTS of beautiful things to see, a lot more than what is commercialized.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So true about traveling in the US. There is so much to see that you can’t do it in one lifetime. Start with the least visited national parks and go from there. Big Bend should be high on your list.

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    I know you are sorta joking about the reset, but that’s always in the back of my mind. I guess that’s why I’m trying to get out as much as possible. We did not try the whiskey as I’m not much of a whiskey drinker these days but if a man want to visit whiskey nirvana he truly needs to go to Scotland. We did buy some small bottles for some friends so I’ll have to get a report for you. We have been on a non alcoholic beer kick, so we did try some really good brews that were alcohol free.
    I wish I was joking. I did a search for some official articles on this, unsurprisingly, my search came up blank. However, James Corbett has a video on it.

Links here- https://www.corbettreport.com/travelreset/

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    My wife and I started planning this trip over a year ago. We had been to Ireland before and really enjoyed it, so we figured we’d probably like Scotland just as much and we were not disappointed. We picked October to make the trip as usually the weather is cool and less rainy, plus the pesky midges that are famous biting insects are just about done for the year. It was also my 60th birthday and our 20th anniversary. The West Highland Way is one of the most iconic trails to hike and is located north of Glasgow. The length is 96 miles long and starts in Milngavie ( pronounced Mill Guy) and travels north to Fort William. The trail starts out rather flat going through pastures and what they call the lowlands and eventually makes its way to the highlands. The highlands are large hills and mountains which have been described as looking like another world when hiking through them. Just think about the movie Braveheart and Lord of the Rings and you have a good picture of what it looks like. The trail also travels along Loch Lomond which is the largest loch or lake in Scotland. The trail is comprised of single track dirt trails, old military roads ( circa 1800 ‘s) and rocky mountain trails. You also hike some small country roads and larger highways which connect you to towns and keeps the trail continuous. The hike is tough with the trail along Loch Lomond being the hardest for us. Lots of ups and downs with rocks, roots, and mud. There are some pretty steep climbs such as Conic Hill and The Devils Staircase. We had trained as good as we could before we went so we made it, but not easily. It also helped that we have hiked a couple hundred mikes on the AT so we were well aquatinted with big climbs and rocky paths. We were on the trail for 8 days and stopped every night at various towns and villages to sleep each night. We stayed at a variety of small hotels and B&B’s. They were all unique in their own way with some being more upscale and others like a room at your grandmothers house. We also had some great food along the trail and really enjoyed all of the Inn Keepers and owners of the B&B’s. As usual we met some of the nicest people from all over the world who were hiking the trail just like us. We met people from England, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Netherlands, Canada, and the good ole USA. It is so interesting to see how other people live and get their view of the world. My wife calls me the “interrogator” as I tend to ask them lots of questions as we walk along the trail. Most are more than willing to answer them so I just keep asking.
    All in all, we had one of the most memorable trips and the views while hiking were incredible. If any of y’all are wanting to do a trip overseas, Ireland and Scotland are great places to start. You will inter-grate seamlessly as English is the language everyone speaks and the food is plenty good enough for chaps like us. It is also very easy to travel by train or bus, and
    57379886f59ef451c791453c39f6499b.jpg

then you can walk from there. The British pound is the currency, but you could prolly go the whole trip just using your credit card.
    Enjoy the pics and I hope everyone is doing well as we head into the holidays.
    7811591b80548bdb1b9e8bce4870d951.jpg

ed6cf42ea61d050fa068dd069966e724.jpg

78e8173b0752d64271aa8af53d427a7c.jpg

3ed36a40fd7d59a57b4ace058e25104c.jpg

7150f474ca00067427e9243bbd5e83ae.jpg

e4eef9be4104e8e19d2d76cdd00c8cb5.jpg

b87e563da0e007253366a4a627c7051c.jpg
    Love this. Hoping to do it soon. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom