Hlep choosing son a 20 gauge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    My step son just turned 13 and he is small for his size and doesnt handle my 12 gauge as well as id like to let him hunt with it. Just seems a little too long for him to be steady. Thinking about getting him a 20 gauge for some squirrel and rabbit fun. Any suggestions on a paticular model to look at?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He's still too young to appreciate a major brand name like Beretta, but whatever you do; please don't get him a crack barrel, shingle shot mule kicker!

Single shot crack barrels really have overstayed their usefulness in life.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Thanks for the advice. guess ill have to go look around tommorow when Im off. Didnt want anything too expensive but not worth buying complete crap either.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I like the Mossberg 500. The youth model turned out to be a good gun. It does what you need a shotgun to do. And the price is right for a starter gun. Not to be contrary but I also still hunt with my 12 ga crack barrel. Go to WMart and handle the gun to see for yourself. It was money well spent for me.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Mossberg SA-20 Bantam

I bought one of these for my 11 yr old daughter, she and I love it, light soft shooting reliable with birdshot. Functionally it appears to be a Turkish copy of the Beretta gas system. I paid 375$ at Academy.

Gauge 20
    Chamber Size 3"
    Capacity 5
    Barrel 24" Vent Rib
    Sights Front Bead
    Chokes Sport Set (5 Total)
    Overall Length 43.5"
    Length Of Pull 13"
    Barrel Finish Matte Blue
    Stock Synthetic (Black)
    Weight 5.5 lb

Features

3" Chambered Models in 20 Gauge, 5+1 Capacity
    New Mossy Oak® Turkey THUGS™ Series Model
    Free Gun Lock/1-Year Limited Warranty Included

http://www.gunreports.com/gow/long_guns/20-Gauge-Semiautos-SA-20-mossberg-75771_1557-1.html

They redesigned the loading after this report was written it is much better now.

Last edited:

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Both my boys, then my daughter used the Mossberg 500 and/or a Remington Wingmaster 20ga youth. Either one will work well. My oldest boy always gravitated to the Mossberg, my younger son the Remington. Daughter liked the Remington as it was a bit shorter.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Invest a little money in his first shotgun. He'll probably have it for the rest of his life and pass it down to his kids.
    I still have my first youth model 20 gauge and it's a great lightweight bird gun. I bought the adult stock later on.
    I can't wait for that first hunting trip w my little man.

Browning 20 Gauge Micro BPS @ Bass Pro for $579. 13" length of pull, and 22" barrel and it's lighter than the Mossberg.

2211872_01_browning_bps_20_ga_3_pump_shot_640.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=225

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    He's still too young to appreciate a major brand name like Beretta, but whatever you do; please don't get him a crack barrel, shingle shot mule kicker!

Single shot crack barrels really have overstayed their usefulness in life.

Well, true- they do have a nice kick to them.:D

However, folks can now use the NE Pardner-style crack barrel shotguns to deer hunt with in LA during the primitive weapons season, Emp.... So I wouldn't be surprised to see them selling a little better because of it....perhaps, anyway. :)

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    The day my son was born in 1988 I was able to escape the hospital for a shower and a stop at Puglia's. I bought him a Browning BPS youth model 20 ga. When I went back to the hospital and was sitting there in the hospital room holding him I pulled out a picture of the gun and showed it to him. Great little shotgun! And it's a beautiful one too.

\If you can find one at a gun show a youth model Ithaca 37 is another great gun.

Last edited:

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, 20ga is the way to go. I still have the Wingmaster that Dad gave me when I was 14--long way past that--and I have brought home whatever game I was after, from birds to deer. If you would really like to start him with the single shot to teach him to make it count, start him with trap loads, higher power is not necessarily the answer. And let me say that "high brass" and "low brass" means NOTHING with modern ammo. There are shells with heavy loads and a short metal part, there are even all plastic shells. You have to read on the box what's in the shells, amount of powder and the shot payload. If he starts with trap level loads he will quickly forget about the recoil. GW

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blackhawk, I will speak from a gunsmith's point of view. I wouldn't recommend a C. Daly auto to my worst enemy. They are made in Turkey and they seem to have a metallurgy problem, the guns don't malfunction, they break parts, and the parts seem to be made of unobtainium. Granted, when you have a good one they are as good as any. The importer went out of business and essential parts are not available anywhere unless you want to try to figure out which factory made it and deal direct with the Turks. I won't allow one in the door of my shop. GW

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Depending on your budget you can get a Mossberg Maverick 20ga shotgun at walmart for around $177 or the Mossberg 500 Bantam youth for around $209. The Maverick is basically a 500. The Remington 870 Express 20ga youth model is a better gun in the $275 price range. I've seen them for around $200 at pawnshops in exc. cond. All are great guns with choke tubes.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    The Maverick is basically a 500 that fails twice as often....:thumbsdown:
    Maverick - parts made in Mexico, assembled in a Texas border town....
    If you get one, polish the chamber so it doesn't hang up as often.
    Nothing will aggravate you more than a locked up gun in the middle of a duck hunt.

Top Bottom