hmmmm need some input guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoulife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So im looking at two .270 rifles and need some input on if anyone has had experience with either or if you can suggest one or the other. The two rifles are the Tikka .270 T3 and the Savage WSM in .270 weather warrior. Need some advice

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    So im looking at two .270 rifles and need some input on if anyone has had experience with either or if you can suggest one or the other. The two rifles are the Tikka .270 T3 and the Savage WSM in .270 weather warrior. Need some advice

You do realize those are two different calibers right?

Are you asking about the difference in the rifles or the calibers? How about putting down what you intend to use it for, do you reload, what distance you plan to shoot. If you want good advice for an application, then you need to say what you plan to apply it to.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    .270 Winchester (not WSM) is plenty of rifle for most anything in North America (except maybe the Big Bears... it'll still do the job though). The magnum calibers are a bit overkill for most anything and will be harder on the shooter. The one reason to go for it is if you want a flatter shooting - longer range cartridge. Still, .270 can go a long ways.

The WSM will be more expensive to shoot, harder to get ammo for, harder on the shooter...... I see no reason to go with a gun in this caliber unless you had special reason too. If you did, you would already know it. Go for the .270 Winchester and not the WSM.

IMO of course.

Last edited:

bayoulife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am using it for deer hunting purposes, no i do not reload as i do not have the luxury of extra time to do so. I do understand the difference in calibers hence the reason for the question because im wondering if anyone prefers the wsm over .270 win. The distances i shoot range from 50 yards to 350 yards depending on what area of the morganza floodway im in. Im confortable shooting long distances just need a rifle capable of it. Im shooting a 7mm mag right now and it does the job but i want something lighter and with less recoil as i do more stalking than still hunting.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i had a 270win i now shoot a wsm. neither are bad but i prefer the wsm. in my opinion the advantage is i can shoot a 150g bullet at the same speed a win can shoot a 130g bullet. i like and shoot the nosler ballistic tips. winchester offers these bullets loaded in both chamberings and before i started reloading i had good success with them. i did prefer the performance of the heavier bullets over the lighter. as for recoil i have a winchester model 70 that was in a lightweight stock with blind mag. i had a remington 270 win and the wsm to me kicked less in stock form than the remington i had. thats kind of apples to oranges comparison but thats all i have. i now have mine in a hogue stock and the recoil is nearly non existant. my wifes 7-08 actually has more recoil than my wsm shooting handloaded 150 nbt's.

bayoulife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thats what im leaning towards as my dad has the .270 win and it has done flawless for most of his applications just was curious as to just how much better the wsm would be or if it is any better thank you for the advice!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As far as the rifle itself goes--

My buddy has the Tikka T3 Lite in your chosen caliber and it's a pretty slick little rifle. It does shoulder a tiny bit funky due to the weight reduction, but nothing to really concern yourself with. It ain't particularly pretty, but he's put it to some use the past two seasons and it's definitely holding up well. Accuracy with even cheap factory stuff was what you'd expect out of a rifle of said design and quality-- which is to say quite good.

mudmixers9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    labadieville la
    I had a 270 win. ,but sold it and got the 270 wsm. I rather the 270 wsm because you have more power and it's a short action. Ammo isn't that hard to find I mean they don't have it at walmart, but academy, cabelas,and your hunting store usually have it.The ammo is more expensive if you are just shooting like core-lokts, but if you get a good 270 bullet the price of the wsm isn't that much more. That's just my opinion though

G

gunguy11

I do not have a .270 wsm but I do have a tikka t3 lite in .300 wsm. It has just as much recoil as my 7mm-08 browning a-bolt. I prefer the ballistics of the magnum rounds and like the short action of my .300. They do have sayings around stating the short mags use a faster burning powder so it harms the barrel.... Fact or
    Myth? I dont know.
    I know based on the science of the rounds the short mags are meant to produce a more consistent ignition.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom