Hodgdon BLC-2

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    is H335 good for .308? Maybe it is NOT s good idea, but I am looking for 1 powder to use for both .223 and .308.

However, I dont know if by using a dual purpose powder, I will lose performance in both rounds. If this is the case. I dont mind use 2 different powders.

So hey yall what do you think is the best .223 and/or .308 powder(s).

1)accuracy
    2) economical

????

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I'm assuming you are looking for a Varget alternative? I've been using the Accurate 2230 for the .223 with good luck in the accuracy department, and it meters extremely well. I have not tried it out in .308, yet.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I'm assuming you are looking for a Varget alternative? I've been using the Accurate 2230 for the .223 with good luck in the accuracy department, and it meters extremely well. I have not tried it out in .308, yet.

Yes i am looking for a Varget alternative.

It's military 308 powder and will work fine for both calibers.

Thanks. I think i am going to pick up some soon.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I've used it for many years from time to time. It's a very good, versatile ball powder. Meters very well. I would never claim that it is the most accurate for your intended calibers, but it should do fine. I did load some last year to try in .223 just for S&G's. It did better than I expected accuracy wise. I've used it in the past for .308 plinking loads and it does very well, especially loaded on the hot end of the table. For me anyway. More years ago than I care to divulge, I used to use it a lot, since it could be had as a surplus canister powder. Was very cheap in comparison back then and gave very good performance. Not so cheap these days, hence it has lost it's popularity with reloaders. Best of luck.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You looking for something cheaper than Varget or just another powder to use? La. Gun on Jefferson has a bunch of Varget and I think they also have Relaoder-15. Give Fred a call at 225-291-2942 to ask.

Beauxdog :)

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Thanks guys... I think Ill buy 1# of each, and see which performs better. I currenly use varget, but it is on the expensive side. and It is getting very hard to find, Plus it doesnt meter very well the shape of the powder is a pain in the ass (when i am trying to make "matched" rounds).

does Reloader 15 meter well? is it as accurate as Varget?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks guys... I think Ill buy 1# of each, and see which performs better. I currenly use varget, but it is on the expensive side. and It is getting very hard to find, Plus it doesnt meter very well the shape of the powder is a pain in the ass (when i am trying to make "matched" rounds).

I load my short range (out to 300 yards) .223 match ammo on a Dillon using RL15. It groups around .6" at 100 yards for 10 shot groups. The juniors load their 600 yard ammo on the Dillon using RL15 and shoot some very impressive scores (high 190s). It meters better than Varget. Also gets a bit better velocity. Nothing will meter as well as a ball powder, but ball powders have their own issues. I have also used RL15 in the .308 with excellent results.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    In checking most websites, retail stores in the area, and at the gunshows, most people tend to be on short supply on the Varget and sell out quick, the H335 is really hard to find, but I can always find Accurate 2230, Richard in LA seems to settle on this powder as well, it works fine for me with the .223 with the AR, but have no experience with .308, just saying its always easier to find, and its a little cheaper

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

I have found RE-15 to be more accurate than Varget in my .308 at higher velocities but it is much more temperature sensitive. What some guns like may be a good bit different than from what loads yours shoots best with though......just keep that in mind.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You want temperature sensitivity, load a ball powder. :)

2230 may be a bit fast for the heavier .223 bullets. Don't know about it in .308.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom