Hog Hunting Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    To my knowledge, and I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if I'm wrong, shotguns are the only firearm with a limit.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    I am interested in knowing where that reg is..... Only limit I have ever seen is the federal waterfowl regs that limit capacity

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Page 17 of the hunting pamphlet under "Methods of Taking Quadrupeds & Resident Game Birds"

"Shotguns larger than 10 ga or capable of holding more than 3 shells shall be prohibited. Plugs used in shotguns must be incapable of being removed without disassembly"

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am interested in knowing where that reg is..... Only limit I have ever seen is the federal waterfowl regs that limit capacity

Louisiana Administrative Code
    Title 76 (Wildlife and Fisheries) (The below is found on page 184)
    Part XIX. Hunting and WMA Regulations
    D. Hunting-General Provisions..
    5. Methods of Taking Resident Game Birds and Quadrupeds.
    c. Still hunting is defined as stalking or stationary stand hunting without the use of dog(s). Pursuing, driving or hunting deer with dogs is prohibited when or where a still hunting season or area is designated, and will be strictly enforced. Shotguns larger than 10 gauge or capable of holding more than three shells shall be prohibited. Plugs used in shotguns must be incapable of being removed without disassembly. Refer to game schedules contained within these regulations for specific restrictions on the use of firearms and other devices.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    They adopted the 3 round limit to make it easier to enforce the limit for migratory game birds. It was too easy for someone to claim rabbit or squirrel hunting without a plug while actually hunting mgb's

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    O.K., this tread had me scared off from using my riot gun with attatched light for the night hog hunting season which starts 30 min after sunset today. I finally got a chance to talk to a few green shirts today and asked them if the 3 round limit applied to night hog hunting. They said "NO". They told me just what the regs say about any legal weapon. I can bolt lights, lasers, night vision, and a silencer (if I am in possession of it legally) to what ever I want and get after it. In fact they told me repeatedly "kill them all". This only applies to the night hog hunting, and it makes sense since all of the other seasons are closed right now.

I now have the letter from the land owner with his contact information in my possession and Friday I will notify the S.O. dispatch where I will be going and what I will be doing Saturday after dark.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    O.K., this tread had me scared off from using my riot gun with attatched light for the night hog hunting season which starts 30 min after sunset today. I finally got a chance to talk to a few green shirts today and asked them if the 3 round limit applied to night hog hunting. They said "NO". They told me just what the regs say about any legal weapon. I can bolt lights, lasers, night vision, and a silencer (if I am in possession of it legally) to what ever I want and get after it. In fact they told me repeatedly "kill them all". This only applies to the night hog hunting, and it makes sense since all of the other seasons are closed right now.

I now have the letter from the land owner with his contact information in my possession and Friday I will notify the S.O. dispatch where I will be going and what I will be doing Saturday after dark.

Good luck! sounds like a hell of a good time to me.
    Aim well! .... don't want to spoil the bacon :rockon:

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier

This is the result from last night. I actually took him with Ruger Scout Rifle right at 6:30 PM. I had a Surefire mounted on the gun, but did not need it. He did run out into the cutover and I traded the Scout for my 870 with a Scorpion mounted on it to go into the cutover and find him. It sure felt good to have my heavy shotgun in the thick stuff.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Private land. The SOB knocked my OnTime feeder loose on the 25th of Feb, and dumped 200lb of corn on the ground. EVERYBODY ate goode until the morning of the 3rd, including him, as seen on the game cam. Funny thing is he had no smell. When we were eating his pork chops tonight, we wondered if it was because he had been corn fed the last week. Here is a pic of him at the feeder.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I've had them knock over my standing feeders also and break the timer off. A hanging feeder is better in my estimation. Try some sweet feed mixed in the corn. They love that stuff but it will clump up and clog up the feeder if not mixed with corn.

Top Bottom