Hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I just got back. Love the woods at night. Saw some activity but the only thing that came close enough to shoot was some Deer. I'm not going to jail so needless to say I came back empty handed, but I've got 3 more nights.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I use lots of things for bait. I have a friend that give me table scraps from his restaurant the hogs love it, but so does everything else but it's free.

Corn works very well, Rasberry and cherry jello mix on the ground works VERY well. Corn soaked in Diesel works very well for just hogs as nothing else will eat it. A rug soaked in diesel tied to a tree will draw the hogs to rub on. Salt licks work. I use all of it.

As far as hunting them I like to bait them where they come to a bait site with a tent or house on it so you can relax and keep the bugs off this time of year and then unload on them with shotguns with #4 buckshot an no plug. I also carry a rifle that I can shoot out to 500 yds with if they come out in a different location. Rifles are good but for the most part you are going to kill 1-2 hogs like that. To be effective when a group comes out you need to kill over half the group to put a dent in them.Silencers aren't slient enough, hogs still run off afterwards.

The problem is EVERYONE wants to show up and shoot hogs. MOST people make the false assumption they can show up with a gun, bullets and walk through the woods and shoot them. That just doesn't happen on a consistent basis, they are SO smart, much smarter than a deer. You can shoot them maybe once a week but really better so once every two weeks to not make them totally nocturnal. Put too much scent in the woods and you won't see a hog during the day only at night and never at bait sites.

So anyway someone asks the normal question anyone have hogs they want to get rid of?? I have seen it for years on forums, most have no idea what they are getting into. To have someone comes out and actually kill hogs it takes bait and preparation not just I'm going to show up with a gun, bullets and beer and have fun.

If someone has better ideas, I'm open to it, but that's what I have found so far it can be fun, and I plan on having a lot of it Sat and Sun night with the full moon, but that's why posted. Instead of thanks for the offer I get for the most part "you should pay us to come shoot your hogs..." I don't think so.

So, what are you paying for corn?

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    Where I work sometimes we get in bulk corn and grain that needs to be disposed of... usually we try to find a farmer that may want it. Sometimes this stuff is nasty but farmers still love it for feeding their hogs.

If I come across any of this stuff in the future would you guys be interested in picking it up?

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    zguinness if you get spare corn, yes please let me know the more it's rotten the better for bait for hogs. I would be happy to come get it.

Emperor, I buy corn by the ton. Last I bought it was $260/ton.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Where I work sometimes we get in bulk corn and grain that needs to be disposed of... usually we try to find a farmer that may want it. Sometimes this stuff is nasty but farmers still love it for feeding their hogs.

If this is grain ship corn, deer freakin go ape **** over it. They love the powder that shakes off of it the most.

zguinness if you get spare corn, yes please let me know the more it's rotten the better for bait for hogs. I would be happy to come get it.

Emperor, I buy corn by the ton. Last I bought it was $260/ton.

Cobs or kernals?

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    This is stuff that sits in a hopper car for a while getting all nasty and smells like ****... and sometimes we get quite a bit of it.

We haven't seen any in a couple of months... but I'll try to remember to start a thread here the next time we get some in.

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    The stuff I get is kernels... nasty stuff... you guys would love it.

What about grain? I know some of the hog farmers around here like the nasty grain we give them too.

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    Well figured this thread was as good as any to post results...

Had a good weekend we killed several hogs, these are the two I killed last night, ended up with a lot of hogs dead and this boar was on the top of my list for the weekend, he was my big breeder.

BigBoarpiglet.jpg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom