Hog Leg Traps & Snares

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I've never trapped before but am about to start trying. I've purchased two Hold-a-Hog #4 offset leg traps which throw up a spring loaded leg snare when activated. These are designed for leg trapping/snaring hogs and seem nice, but at $100 each I'm not creating an inventory of them. I purchased a Fremont leg snare thrower for $15 and will try to get them to work for hogs.

Do you have any suggestions for cost effective snare throwers or leg traps to be used with hogs?

Also, I plan to lay corn down near/on their normal paths to attract the hogs, but I'm worried about snaring a deer. I contacted FnT (http://www.fntpost.com) but they don't have a hog scent. Ideally I'd like to find a scent that attracts hogs and deters other critters especially deer.

Do you have any hog-only scent suggestions?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    use diesel engine motor oil from oil changes, it works like a fly dip of sorts and they already go towards creosote stuff for the same purpose.. use it on scrap carpet to hold it, stapled to the tree and set the trap or snare , with the hoop head high.. if you are worried about deer or dogs, use a deer stop so they can get out..

No need to buy special hog snares, just buy the size you want.. if you want to get creative, use a small length of loop longer to sit towards middle of loop attached to trigger so the scruff of of kneck will pull loop closed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom