Hole-y cases, Batman! "SOLVED"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Allrighty guys. I need your help.
    Years ago I found this casing among a bunch of turned in range brass. (Army installation)
    I have never found out what in the heck it was used for. What it shot. What shot it, etc. Shoot, I can't find out anything at all about it. Pretty sure it was not a "blank" of any kind. Maybe one of you holds the key.

It appears to be a standard NATO 7.62x51 case except that it has six evenly spaced (manufactured that way) holes on top of the shoulder. It is headstamped LC 82. There, now you know exactly what I know about it. :confused:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks in advance for you help and or interest.
    Al

Last edited:

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    It might be a round used in "live fire" training. It could be a blank but the holes allow the gases to exit at the neck and operate the action. Just my $.02.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    It's a thought. I do believe it was loaded with a projectile though. Maybe a "Frangible Ball" projectile. I just don't know.

Thanks for your input. Always worth 2 cents to me.
    Al

M160 Frangible Ball projectile for use 7.62x51 Nato. I have never seen one of these "loaded" in a case. It might be the answer to the strange case.
    picture.php

Last edited:

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

Every frangible round I fired in the service was the standard cartridge, only the projectile was different. I don't see how these holes could assist the action, as the M16 uses the pressure between the chamber and projectile that has advanced beyond the gas block to blow the bolt back. The holes I see in the picture would allow pressure to escape towards the rear of the chamber.

Only thing I can think of would be that someone had de-milled this case for some strange reason.

Again, not an expert.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

Every frangible round I fired in the service was the standard cartridge, only the projectile was different. I don't see how these holes could assist the action, as the M16 uses the pressure between the chamber and projectile that has advanced beyond the gas block to blow the bolt back. The holes I see in the picture would allow pressure to escape towards the rear of the chamber.

Only thing I can think of would be that someone had de-milled this case for some strange reason.

Again, not an expert.

Every .30 cal. Frangible Ball I have seen is in fact loaded in a standard case, I agree.
    I assure you that this is not a de-mil. but, made this way.
    In the Army when you complete range operations all residue (brass, clips, ammo boxes etc.) must be turned in and accounted for (+/- "Field loss").

When I went to turn in the residue from a range that I had ran we were told to put all brass in this bin and all clips (M60) in that bin etc. An Aviation unit was ahead of me (not saying that the rounds have anything to do with Army Aviation, I don't know) and had just dumped a heck of a lot of these in the bin and left before I could ask them any questions about it. I am certain that this case was maunufactured with the holes and was fired with the holes.

The civilian that worked at the turn in point knew nothing about them. He only knew that brass went in this bin, clips went in that bin etc.

Thank you for your input.
    Al

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    That is a 7.62 round that was fired in a sub-caliber device for an M-67 90mm recoilless rifle.

The sub-caliber device is the same size and shape as a live HEAT round, but has a rifled barrel in it.

The six oval holes punched out of the shoulder are for lowering the velocity of the bullet BEFORE is exits the device and travels dowen the tube.

What THAT does is make the bullet travel the same trajectory as the full-scale warhead, for cheap practice and improvised zeroing of the weapon's sight.

We used to bounce .308 rounds off of an M-60 tank that they would drive back and forth for us. And there was always a track head (armor crewman) there to make sure no live HEAT ammo was anywhere around... :D

Thank you so much LSP972. And now I know. Now we all know.
    It looks like the holes are "OVAL" because they might have been punched into case prior to the necking and that caused the hole to oval.

We still had 90mm's at 7th ID in the early 80's. All makes sense now. Thanks again and be well.
    Al

p.s. I will try to find another weird one in amongst my goodies.:D

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    FM 23-11 States:

b. The M49A1 subcaliber device (fig. 16.1)
    consists of a long, cylindrical sleeve, a barrel, a
    bushing with an integral hinge, a locknut housing,
    a firing pin: and attaching hardware. The device
    utilizes a case blow-out principle through
    six equally spaced holes in the chamber shoulder
    section of the barrel. These holes permit the
    cartridge case to be blown out, and limit the pressure
    which in turn lowers the velocity to match
    ballistically the major caliber round.

c. The trajectory of the 7.62mm subcaliber cartridge
    is about the same as the major caliber
    cartridge; however, there is a telescopic reticle
    mismatch. When firing tables III and IV to
    zero the M49A1 subcaliber device, the system
    should be zeroed at approximately 80 percent
    of the maximum range of the targets to be engaged
    in order to minimize absolute mismatch at
    any point in the trajectory.

Not hard to find when you know what you are looking for. Appearantly the holes happened at the time the round is fired and not during manufacture. LSP972, can you verify this? Anyway..........

Thanks to everyone for their help, especially LSP972.
    Be well all
    Al

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Man, I'm gonna have nightmares about that monster tonight. It was/is a BAD mama-jammer, but boy did it get heavy on a hump. It weighs 37 pounds without the sight; live HEAT rounds are nine pounds each, the sight is another two pounds or so.

You were in the wrong outfit. All 90mm's I seen in the 7th ID were mounted on M151A1s with trailers for the "Rifle Food". I was an FO and I had plenty to hump with all of my comms and crap. But, the CO always thought it was a good idea that I carry a mortar bullet or two along with that. I have felt he pain. Thanks again.
    Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom