Holster advice for the noobie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Detatnola2012

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    So I have read a lot of articles online about the "perfect" holster for conceal and carry. I was wondering if anyone has any experience as far a comfortable holster. I know that is easy for a lot of you but let's complicate things. Like a lot of Americans. I love food so I have some extra built in insulation especially in the gut area. I was wondering if any bigger guys/ girls have any advice for holsters and where to carry for bigger guys out there?

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    I'm a fan of hybrid holsters like the Crossbreed. Here's my breakdown:

Pros

Since the clips are not stacked on top of the pistol, it makes for a thinner overall profile. This makes it more comfortable and concealable. Also, the two point clip design really adds stability and keeps the pistol from rocking back and forth on your belt. To me, this also adds comfort because I don't need to adjust my pistol every time I stand up. The leather is also more comfortable against your skin than kydex.

Cons

Some of the hybrid holsters are really big. Too big in my opinion. The Crossbreed is one that's really big. It's not as easy to pop on and off your belt so if you're one of those guys who take your pistol on and off through out the day this could be a problem.

Look for a hybrid holster that the leather isn't 4 miles wide. Old Faithful Holsters are pretty good about this. Galco also makes one.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    So I have read a lot of articles online about the "perfect" holster for conceal and carry. I was wondering if anyone has any experience as far a comfortable holster. I know that is easy for a lot of you but let's complicate things. Like a lot of Americans. I love food so I have some extra built in insulation especially in the gut area. I was wondering if any bigger guys/ girls have any advice for holsters and where to carry for bigger guys out there?

If you want to take the trip to Hammond, we do stock a wide variety of IWB holsters from Comptac as well as Blackpoint Tactical.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Kinda depends on what gun you plan to carry in said holster. If I don't tuck my shirt, I like leather IWB holsters with some type of shield. I'll usually have a t-shirt between me and the gun. I wear suspenders, so that helps with any heavy gun.

Tucked shirt in or wearing overalls, a small revolver in a Desantis nemesis in the front pocket works well..... but is slower to draw.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Let us know what gun you are wanting to carry. I will say I have been carrying about a month and have a bit of a spare tire around the waist and was nervous about going inside waist. I picked up a couple of hybrid holsters (one a Galco I got from Cabela's and the other I don't recall) and they have worked well. Now, I have been carrying a S&W Bodyguard 380 which is tiny so the leather piece is pretty small and once the leather conformed to my shape it felt very comfortable. The other one is for a Glock 19 and a bigger piece of leather yet it still is comfortable. If you have the money I would go for a Crossbreed because their leather is nice but their lead times are a little long.
    Let me just say that one thing to consider is your pants. If your pants are uncomfortable then most likely whatever your holster is it will not make them more comfortable. Your going to have to make sure you do have some room in the waist of your pants to handle the width of the holster. If you do have that space then a hybrid holster will work. If your don't have any room then it is going to feel uncomfortable all day long.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Ready for it?

It doesnt matter. In a year you'l have a drawer full of various holsters. Just dive in, its the only way to start figuring out what your preference is.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Ready for it?

It doesnt matter. In a year you'l have a drawer full of various holsters. Just dive in, its the only way to start figuring out what your preference is.

Yep, I tried a bunch of holsters. Settled on some leather OWB holsters from Jason Winnie. http://www.jasonwinnie.com/

I like the Wilderness "instructor belt" http://www.gmstactical.com/wiorinbe.html I like this belt because instead of holes in the belt, it uses velcro, so you have very fine adjustments.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Ready for it?

This is so very true. And, it goes without saying that if you don't have a good belt then even the best holster won't work right.

Detatnola2012

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the input everyone. Just not a lot out there for bigger guys. I'm planning on getting the SW Shield 9mm. One of my friends recommended AlienGear holsters but they seem like they are along the same type and style as the crossbreed. Also I did think about the pants issue and do have a solid couple of belts. I like my pants not falling on the ground.

Top Bottom