holsters that allow for tlr-1?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Guys, i am a "plain clothes" LEO, and i currently use a blackhawk cqc paddle with "serpa" retention. This holster serves my purpose fairly well, but i'm looking for a bit more.

I would like to hear what ya'll recommend as far as a concealable paddle or belt mounted holster that allows me to keep my tlr-1 attached to my glock. I work alot at night, and it is a P.I.T.A. to carry a flashlight, or worry about putting the tlr-1 on in a hurry.

Im a fairly thin build (6'1- 190lb), so my current set-up dosen't hide too well. I'm affraid i can't do much better in that department, but this is still a very important part of selection.

It is also VERY important to have a decent retention system, because i'm usually the one who actually chases the bad guy.

thanks in advance for any feedback!

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Carry a Flashlight. Learn to use it with your firearm. There are a lot of things I want to see but don't wish to be pointing a gun at. What model Glock are you using?

Trying to help, sorry if it's a little too blunt. It's late.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Check with raven concealment systems (google them). I have a phantom holster that allows me to keep a full size px4 with an x300 on it under a t-shirt. They don't have a retention level, but I have never lost mine. They are not cheap, and it takes a couple of weeks for them to make a holster, but they are worth it.

Hope this helps,

JR1572

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    One of the companies makes a kydex belt/paddle holster that allows for the light, possibly Bianchi. Its not very concealable though. I typically just have a Fenix PD20 in my pocket for plain clothes since my G26 doesnt have a rail anyway.

I've tried it every which way (which I know you have as well), but a weapon mounted light is THE way to go for LEO work, and if your going to have a light, have a holster that allows it to stay on the gun.

A lot of the naysayers to weapon lights (as above) maybe don't realize, the weapon light is dedicated to the deployment of that weapon. If your just looking around, you use a flashlight. If the situation is to the point that you are deploying your weapon, you need to be able to see, and you need to be able to shoot what you see if need be, best way to do that and still have a proper two handed firing grip is with a weapon light. The light also allows for manipulation of doors and other items while still keeping illumination and security on a possible threat area.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    the TLR's mounting system is a little slow, but on a dedicated light it shouldnt matter. While it is slow, its secure. The only time mine comes off of my G17 is for competition use, and I'm not really in a hurry.

My main issue with the TLR is, compared to my Fenix PD30 duty belt light my TLR looks like its half dead even with full batteries. It needs MORE POWER

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Blade-tech makes great holsters, but I prefer the way the RCS phantom conceals on my person. Either one are good quality holsters. Another issue I have is that RCS is the only company that makes a concealable holster for my weapon/light combo.

I have 2 X300's and 2 TLR-1's. The X300 is built better than the TLR. However, the TLR is still a good light.

Some people here know that weaponlights are used as weaponlights only, not to shine on someone's ticket at night. But with that being said, there are a bunch of "others" that do not. You should have 3 lights, one on the gun, one on your belt, and a backup in your pocket. Most of you know that already.

JR1572

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I guess i should have been a little more descriptive, but my waife was "waiting" ....uhum, for me to come to bed.

Anyway, i usually do carry a surelight in my pocket and a full size maglight in the truck, but on occasion, i need to get out in a hurry, or i may be riding with another agent. Im a narcotics detective btw... If there is one thing i have noticed about narcotics vs other divisions, things tend to be less organized, and happen a bit faster.... atleast lately.

Basicly, the holster needs to be concealed by a large shirt, because this is my primary, which means it is always carried on my hip.

The weapon i carry is the glock 17

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Guys, i am a "plain clothes" LEO, and i currently use a blackhawk cqc paddle with "serpa" retention. This holster serves my purpose fairly well, but i'm looking for a bit more.

I would like to hear what ya'll recommend as far as a concealable paddle or belt mounted holster that allows me to keep my tlr-1 attached to my glock. I work alot at night, and it is a P.I.T.A. to carry a flashlight, or worry about putting the tlr-1 on in a hurry.

Im a fairly thin build (6'1- 190lb), so my current set-up dosen't hide too well. I'm affraid i can't do much better in that department, but this is still a very important part of selection.

It is also VERY important to have a decent retention system, because i'm usually the one who actually chases the bad guy.

thanks in advance for any feedback!

If you get a chance, drop by my shop, on Hooper Rd. I'll be glad to address your situation and maybe make a suggestion or two. Like Steve said, I'm not a big proponent of weapons mounted lights, but we're all different and some may have a use for them. I have taught defensive handgun, for my department and others, for years and may have a trick or two to help you hide that Glock.

BTW, there's a lot to be said for the proper use of the right flashlight. Amazing what you can do with a Scorpion and a good Harries technique...

You working for BRPD, EBRSO, or LSP? You know James Salsbury, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    i remember 1 particluar person who did that..... and told the story about a .45 in the thigh.

umm.... yeah. that was never really my style.... especially since im the "in-shape" guy who gets to chase on foot. besides, i carry my personal weapon.... no issue.

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you get a chance, drop by my shop, on Hooper Rd. I'll be glad to address your situation and maybe make a suggestion or two. Like Steve said, I'm not a big proponent of weapons mounted lights, but we're all different and some may have a use for them. I have taught defensive handgun, for my department and others, for years and may have a trick or two to help you hide that Glock.

BTW, there's a lot to be said for the proper use of the right flashlight. Amazing what you can do with a Scorpion and a good Harries technique...

You working for BRPD, EBRSO, or LSP? You know James Salsbury, right?

ebrso.... the name sounds familiar, but i would be lieing if i said yes. where are you on hooper?

btw- i ordered a holster from raven concealment, but it is on backorder.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    You can take any duty holster from Safariland and mount it on a paddle instead of the belt shank. No holster is going to conceal a G17/TLR-1 perfectly, but you need to get as close to that as possible. I would recommend a Safariland 6280-8321-131 and mount it on a paddle.

Top Bottom