Home circumcision = bad idea

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Have y'all seen that new movement that claims that circumcision has NO medical use, and that its actually one of the reassons for males to become impotent?

Aparently they claim that the skin has an X amount of nerves, and when the extra skin is taken out all the sensitivity goes away with it, yada yada yada.

I was watching a show the other day on Discovery Health about it, they even have a new "device" that re grows the skin hehe ...........

Crazy how people make money this days

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I wouldn't say there is NO medical benefit.

What are the benefits of circumcision?
    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
    Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean. source

The risk of having a health issue, with an infant getting circumcised within 8 days of being born is slim to none.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If you would have watched the show all those are NON proven facts according to the study, I dont want to say yes or no as I am NOT in the medical field I'm just explaining what the show was about.

:)

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    From the same WebMD article...

Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit.

Most of the benefits are theoretical only....there is very little evidence to support them....

Yes there are "reduced" and "decreased" risks of contracting certain diseases and infections, but I believe these decreases are marginal at best....

Little Evidence of Circumcision's Benefit, Says Pediatric Group

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Either way it's complete personal preference and there are benefits. I don’t see a reason not to and all my sons will have it done. There’s a cultural aspect that can play into the decision too.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From the same WebMD article...

Most of the benefits are theoretical only....there is very little evidence to support them....

Yes there are "reduced" and "decreased" risks of contracting certain diseases and infections, but I believe these decreases are marginal at best....

Little Evidence of Circumcision's Benefit, Says Pediatric Group

This. There is also a chance the doctor can botch the circumcision by removing too much foreskin, which can limit penis growth and even create painful conditions such as skin bridges and can also contribute to or cause hidden/buried penis.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Either way it's complete personal preference and there are benefits. I don’t see a reason not to and all my sons will have it done. There’s a cultural aspect that can play into the decision too.

I agree..I think this decision is influenced heavily by cultural and religious aspects...

And while research is showing little medical benefit now, in 10 years the findings may be reversed....That's the thing about medicine, it's dynamic and always changing...What's bad for you today, may be found to be good for you tomorrow...

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    We went through this decision last year regarding our new little boy. In the end between our research and our pediatrician's opinion stating that it was mainly cosmetic, we opted to spare him the pain of chopping off the end of his peter.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    This. There is also a chance the doctor can botch the circumcision by removing too much foreskin, which can limit penis growth and even create painful conditions such as skin bridges and can also contribute to or cause hidden/buried penis.

Which is why you should always have a good, Jewish doctor - 5,000 years of practice comes in handy sometimes. :)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    We went through this decision last year regarding our new little boy. In the end between our research and our pediatrician's opinion stating that it was mainly cosmetic, we opted to spare him the pain of chopping off the end of his peter.

The same. We went back and forth for *months* over this issue. We even told the pediatrician the day he was born "No". And to be fair he didn't push us on it at all. He was equally comfortable not performing a circumcision as much as he was performing one.

However at the end of the day, literally, and a great deal of thought we came to the decision to circumcise our son.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Was never a question for us. It's simply part of our culture for one reason, if my son wants to start something new with his sons then so be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom