Home Fried Chicken and Boudin Balls

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    It had been a while since I did some frying in the outdoor fryer so I decided to fry some chicken today. I bought a couple of whole chickens, cut them up, seasoned them with my homemade Cajun Seasoning and put them to marinate in some buttermilk and about a half cup of Tabsaco sauce.
    While that was doing it's thing I made a little homemade mayo for some potato salad.

DSC01354.jpg

I almost forgot that I juiced a couple of blood oranges and diced up half of a large jalapeno pepper and put that to simmer for making a glaze for the fried chicken for those that wanted it. Also added some diced tasso to give it a bit of smokiness to it and then some honey to sweeten the spiciness.

Of course it was about time to have a nice cold beer.
    DSC01353.jpg

Potato salad tasting delicious!
    DSC01365.jpg

Something else I wanted to make and today was boudin balls and since I had the fryer going I did.
    DSC01359.jpg

Well, Just as well batter up some pickle slices and toss them in the hot oil too.
    DSC01357-1.jpg

Some of the chicken in the fryer.
    DSC01367.jpg

You know what else would be good? Some fresh cut sweet potato fries.
    DSC01376.jpg

Biscuits would go really well with this meal so I whipped up a quick batch and did them a little differently and quick.
    DSC01377.jpg

When all was said and done this was a pretty darn good meal!
    DSC01378.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Awesome! Hard to beat "Home-Fried" yardbird. And yes- potato salad has to be yellow.

Looks very good.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    What's your freaking cholesterol level!

Below normal! I have a check up soon and don't expect it to be any different.

What did you use to bread the boudin balls?

Roll them in flour then dip in egg wash(with a little milk)then into Cajun seasoned panko bread crumbs. These came out great!

What is your breading recipe for the chicken?

I breaded 20 pieces of chicken so you can adjust to the amount you cook.

Wet

2 cups flour
    1 Tbsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp garlic powder
    Optional... i tsp. savory(herb)
    mixed with 1 1/2 beer(12 oz, bottles)
    3 eggs beaten
    Mix well, you may need to add a little more to get thinner and smooth.

Dry

4 cups flour,
    1 Tbsp paprika
    1 1/2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
    1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    1 1/2 Tbsp Black pepper

I had my chicken soaking(seasoned first with Cajun Seasoning then placed in buttermilk with 1/2 cup Tabasco Sauce. Dip chicken in wet batter shake off excess and into dry mixture. Coat well, shake off excess set aside and repeat with the rest of the chicken. Fry in 350* oil about 15 mins. Larger pieces(these chicken were 5 lbs. each. Couldn't find smaller birds)may need to be placed in hot oven 275* till done. Nothing worse than bloody fried chicken.

Egg yolks smushed up with the mayo and then just a little yellow mustard to give it a little tang = yellowish potato salad.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks guys! Sorry no rooms available at this time but if you like cutting grass and want to do home upkeep I'll still feed you well. LOl....

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Any chance you would post or pm me that boudin ball recipe? I would love to make some at the house.

I used store bought boudin, and egg and a little milk for egg wash and Panko bread crumbs seasoned with a Cajun seasoning I make.
    Roll ball(these were a liitle bigger than golf balls), dredge in seasoned flour, egg wash and then roll in the panko bread crumbs. Deep fry at 350*. Done when golden brown.

Top Bottom