Homemade AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    A couple of weeks ago I decided to build an AR type firearm, starting with an 80% receiver and only using shop tools that I already have. It took me a few days to get started on the project, and I've got about 5 hours total time. Although it would be nice if the receiver was pretty, that wasn't a requirement that I set for my self. I just wanted a functional homemade firearm. The receiver didn't come with any instructions and I didn't buy a jig. I already have an AR so it was easy to just set them up side by side to mark the holes.

IMAG0074.jpg
    This is the side view, I've already installed the magazine catch. The plan was to use put the magazine in a vise to hold the piece while I worked on it. I didn't do that.

IMAG0076.jpg
    This is the pivot pin on my old receiver. If you ever have to take one off, there's a little hole where you can use a punch to press the detent pin and rotate the pivot pin to pull it completely out. Be careful because the spring will fly.

IMAG0077.jpg
    Using some 1/4" drill bits, I was able to line them up side by side for marking.

IMAG0079.jpg
    Yeah, that's pretty ugly, but that's about the best I can do with a dremel tool.

IMAG0081.jpg
    But the fire control fits and works.

I'm having problems getting more pictures loaded so that it on the pics.

I pinned all the fire control in place and put my 7.62 upper on the new lower. I fired about three rounds then a fail to fire. Fired another few rounds then a fail to fire and then a short stroke. Well, not quite a short stroke, just a failure of the bolt to return fully forward. It's doing this when the charging handle is pulled back as well. I put the upper back on the old receiver and it's doing the same thing, so It's not the new homemade lower. Later today I'll pull it apart and give it a good cleaning, it's possible that some trash got in there.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    OMG .... I'll stick with 100% recievers. I understand your desire to create something more then store bought but just be careful.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    looks like you need a mill. Props on trying something new. I wouldnt have the guts to do it without the proper tools though.

Yeah, next time I'll be using an end mill and at least a drill press. The main point of making it was from arguing with some anti-rights bigots about banning firearms. I kept telling them that it not that hard to make a firearm. I was speaking about one shot zip guns and such. I thought about trying to do an AR receiver with just the shop tools that I have to see how hard it would be. I wasn't hard at all and the outside of the receiver looks just like a store bought one except there are no serial numbers or manufacturer markings, yet. I think I'll mark my safe/fire as "stop" and "Hammer Time"

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, next time I'll be using an end mill and at least a drill press. The main point of making it was from arguing with some anti-rights bigots about banning firearms. I kept telling them that it not that hard to make a firearm. I was speaking about one shot zip guns and such. I thought about trying to do an AR receiver with just the shop tools that I have to see how hard it would be. I wasn't hard at all and the outside of the receiver looks just like a store bought one except there are no serial numbers or manufacturer markings, yet. I think I'll mark my safe/fire as "stop" and "Hammer Time"

Ah, so you were going for a "Pandora's already out the box" kinda thing. I can respect wanting to make your own thing. Keep posting pics.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.ar15plus.com/ is where I got the 80% receiver, it's a TX company and they shipped it pretty quick.

I saw the plastic one, too, pretty neat. I wonder if you can rent a 3d printer for a week.

I think there are places that have them for "rent". I believe you just bring in your design file and they print it out, like if you went to a Kinko's or something for copies. Don't ask me where around here but someone might know.

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Can someone please explain to me how a 3D printer works? Im very familiar with all types of machining as well as injection molded polymers, but I can't see how a printer can make a receiver. I think printer and I think computer paper.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Can someone please explain to me how a 3D printer works? Im very familiar with all types of machining as well as injection molded polymers, but I can't see how a printer can make a receiver. I think printer and I think computer paper.

Stereo lithography, it uses a media with a bonding material and then usually has to be cured.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Stereo lithography, it uses a media with a bonding material and then usually has to be cured.

In other words...

A nozzle squirts out some material onto a surface in a pattern (a cross section of the part you are making). Each time the nozzle passes over the cross section, it adds a little more of the material on top, eventually building up many layers. Once everything is hardened you have your part.

A video should be the most help.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I don't know all of the options but basically it creates the product in thin layers. Imagine slicing the part into many thin layers. If you slice them thin enough they cease to be 3D pieces and become 2D layers, for all intents and purposes. The printer extrudes these thin 2D layers to build up a 3D part. Something like this.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html

Top Bottom