Homemade deer attractant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    I'm not doing this but a buddy of mine takes his wife's used tampons and keeps them in film containers. He will hang them in trees about waist height like a tinks scent bomb

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I'm not doing this but a buddy of mine takes his wife's used tampons and keeps them in film containers. He will hang them in trees about waist height like a tinks scent bomb

I will never be that desperate!!!

I agree with the Doe urine. Kill ya one and cut out the tinkle bag.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    A buddy of mine told me about this. I'm about to try it out today! Nail the lid of a peanut butter jar to a tree, cut off the very bottom of the PB jar and screw it back onto the lid. He said that the deer will go crazy for it, but I would think it would disturb them. Ever seen what a dog does if you give him peanut butter? I also heard about punching holes in a bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and putting a bunch of apples in there to let them ferment. I will try both and let you know the results.

D-Ray86

Tiger Eyed Bandit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Goodbee, LA
    No, my brother in law told me about it last year. He showed me a picture of a deer that still had purple powder on his nose when he got shot. I usually sprinkle it over a pile of corn. If you get the non brand name, it cheaper. I'm sure any flavor will work, but I get grape.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is probably the most unconventional suggestion I have heard of; and I have heard some doozies!

I will humor your brother-in-law in my test lab. I have the quintessential test subjects where I hunt. This should be interesting.

I will report back my findings.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    A buddy of mine told me about this. I'm about to try it out today! Nail the lid of a peanut butter jar to a tree, cut off the very bottom of the PB jar and screw it back onto the lid. He said that the deer will go crazy for it, but I would think it would disturb them. Ever seen what a dog does if you give him peanut butter? I also heard about punching holes in a bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and putting a bunch of apples in there to let them ferment. I will try both and let you know the results.

Yep, the peanut butter trick works pretty well. And cheap at that. It is amazing how clean they will get a container.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I know a guy that was using big red and corn, tagged out and had a few people tagged out on it after. Plus he was killin hogs like crazy on it.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I've had good success with plain old vanilla extract when bow hunting..

I put some on the laces of my boots before I walk to my stand, then pour some in the middle of my shooting lane.

When a deer cuts your trail, they get really curious. I've even had them track me all the way to my tree, and then mill around directly under me for a time....

<<There is a better than average chance this post contains sarcasm>>

cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    I have a food plot that is not hunted very much that will be my test area. There's not a whole lot of deer in area, so it may take a while. In one corner regular corn feeder. Next corner, corn with some grape cool-aid. Next corner peanut butter. One more corner open to ideas. Maybe just plain rice bran, or another recipe? I will report back with conclusion. I do know the vanilla mixed with water makes a good scent cover also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom