Honey Island, questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am going to head out to honey island for some shooting today. Do I have to sign in at the front gate (like I do when hunting)? Do I have to unload and encase my carry weapon before entering property?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I believe so and I don't know.

The thing about signing is that it is how they figure out out how many visitors frequent that management area annually which reflects how much funding they get for the following year.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    This is a great range. I love having the steel plates down range. The range officers were really nice and great to deal with. I will be going back here.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I went there for the first time last weekend and love it. Leaps and bounds better than Tallow Creek. Like Sound said, the range officers were very thorough and safe, yet friendly and great to work with. If it's your first time out, let them know and they'll spend time with you explaining the range, rules, etc.

And yes, have your weapons unloaded, cased and actions open when entering.

It was pretty damn crowded last Sunday, but we still got into a rifle lane within 30 minutes. One of the regulars said Friday is the day to go if possible. No more than 3 or 4 people in the whole place.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Go on Fridays if you can. I've been able to stop shooting, head out to the 50yd line, do a few coffee grinders and a little shuffle-ball-change, proceed to the 100yd line for a target change, pause, look up to the sky for an answer to the question why, and saunter back to the bench while scanning for 4 leaf clovers.

Nary-a-soul. Range was hot or cold at my will. And, yes, the range officers aren't jumpy, nerve-frayed, PTSS grumps. All I've meet and dealt with were very personable.

Last edited:

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    I need to get out there soon. One of the range officers comes into the cigar shop I go to and gave me a free pass.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I bet you can still purchase the WMA stamp at $5 or whatever it is. That is all you need in order to go to the range. The range officers will never ask, but if you use the range, it is only a matter of time before you run into a Game Warden out there that will check that you have it.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    All you need is some license issued by them so get a cane pole license for $3 I think. Anybody want to try to meet out there tomorrow around 3 ish??

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    All you need is some license issued by them so get a cane pole license for $3 I think. Anybody want to try to meet out there tomorrow around 3 ish??

I might be up for that. Depends on how fast I can finish work. I want to sight in my 6.8 BUIS. Send me a PM if you want to meet up. I may have a free pass.

do i have to live in la to go to this range? i live in ms
    thnx

Out of state people can get a Wild LA Stamp for $5.50. That is cheapest way to go. If you already have a LA fishing or hunting Lic. then there is no need.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I bet no one on this site has ever been asked for their hunting/fishing license. The range officer WILL NOT ask you. It's not their rule. Take a look at the "State Requires" part:

http://www.honeyisland.org/info.htm

But a game warden will. I got popped a few years back on a WMA w/o a wma permit and ANY offense on a WMA is a mandatory court date btw.

If it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Yep, bad communication on my part. I meant the range officers. (That's why I linked the site)

I'm sure being from MS, you'd be hauled off to Gitmo if caught. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom