Hope for Humanity Restored

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    faith-in-humanity-restored-3.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-4.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-10.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-2.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    the-power-of-forgivess.jpg

The father of a car accident victim hugging Takunda Mavima, a drunk-driving teen who caused a crash. His son, Tim See, was friends with Takunda and chose to ride in the car with him.
    In a moving address to the court, both the sister and the father of victim Tim See spoke on behalf of Mavima, urging the judge to give him a light sentence.
    *I am begging you to let Takunda make something of himself in the real world — don’t send him to prison and get hard and bitter, that boy has learned his lesson a thousand times over and he’ll never make the same mistake again,* Lauren See said in court.

michael-goodman.jpg

Michael Goodman (right) apologised to his victim Claude Soffel (Picture: Facebook)
    facebook.png

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Gregory Kloehn isn’t homeless. In fact, he is an artist from Oakland that is trying to help the homeless and develop his craft at the same time. Instead of building sculptures that he would sell to rich people to add to their massive homes, he decided to focus his efforts on helping house the homeless population in California. Gregory digs through illegally dumped trash and goes dumpster diving…
    greg.jpg

He uses what he collects to build small, one room shelters for the homeless.
    greg2.jpg

And his homelessness project is getting attention.
    greg4.jpg

Not only from the media, but from the people he helps as well.
    greg5.jpg

The *little homeless homes* are about the size of the sofa.
    greg6.jpg

But, something that small can mean the world to someone living on the streets.
    greg7.jpg

Each of the homes are built with a pitched roof, so rain will run right off of them.
    greg8.jpg

They also have wheels, so their owners will be able to wheel them around if they need to.
    greg9.jpg

The foundation he usually uses are discarded wooden pallets.
    greg10.jpg

At first, as an artist, he made sculptures. Now he makes homes for those in need.
    greg11.jpg

When nine people died due to the unusual low temperatures in Sao Paulo, Brazil, this group of friends decided they could do something.
    coats.png

They created the wall of coats (but you can also find pants (trousers) and blankets there) in the middle of the street.
    Anybody can hang a coat on the wall and anybody can grab one. There are no rules.
    The project is a success, and many people (mostly homeless people) are a little warmer.
    The goal was to keep the wall full of coats for the whole winter and when it’s Children’s Day in Brazil, the idea is to turn the wall of coats into a wall of toys.

A proud mother had to endure the pain from a cruel comment about her special little boy on Instagram. This was her beautiful response…
    proud-mother1.jpg

Dear @JusesCrustHD,

Since I started blogging about my son Quinn and his disability, I knew this day would come. There’s no shortage of trolls on the Internet who hide behind the anonymity of a screen name with the intent to be cruel, and I’ve seen their hostility many times before. In fact, in the wake of a recent robbery at the Down Syndrome Association of Houston’s headquarters, in which $10,000 worth of technology was stolen, there was no shortage of ignorant comments on the news story reporting the incident. One user asked, *how will they learn to count to potato?* Another claimed that wasting computers on *retards* was stupid anyway and that the organization deserved to be robbed. These comments, while offensive, simply serve to showcase people’s hate-fueled ignorance and aren’t worth my time. I grimace when I read them, but realize there’s little to be done about such stupidity. But last Saturday, you targeted my son personally and instead of being angry, I’d like to give you some advice: Don’t be a d*ck. It will come back to haunt you.

I don’t want to make assumptions about you, but I can only guess that you know little about the helplessness that parents feel when caring for a sick infant with respiratory issues. Quinn was sick last week, but was feeling much better by Friday. We decided to sit in the backyard and soak up the sun after school. There aren’t many things in this world more beautiful than seeing your recently-ill child light up in a smile, and I snapped a few photos to celebrate his recovery, then posted them on Instagram with the hashtag *#downsyndrome.* I love to look through those photos myself in my spare time, because damn if those kiddos aren’t adorable. Of course, you feel differently because you, JusesCrustHD, found this photo and left a comment with one simple word:

Ugly.

proud-mother2.jpg

The fact that you find my child ugly is one thing. You are entitled to your opinion. But the fact that you intentionally search #downsyndrome to find pictures to insult (sadly, Quinn is not the only victim of your behavior; I came across many other inflammatory responses) is both childish and sad. Your profile is also full of offensive posts and crude statements. In one such photo, featuring two kids with Down syndrome and the word *wiitard,* you get bent out of shape because many, MANY people called you on your prejudice. You claim it was a joke and that people should lighten up. But what about purposefully seeking out pictures of our children? What about the fact that a beautiful photograph of my son was tarnished by your hatred? That’s not a joke. That’s cyberbullying. Needless to say, I reported your profile.

This will not be the last time someone discounts my son because he is different. It will not be the last time someone makes a joke at his expense, but to actively seek out actual people to tease goes beyond cruel. It’s inhuman.

I recognize that you want to see me get worked up about your little *joke.* I’ll be honest; it’s hard not to be angry about it, but I can’t allow myself to carry that weight on my shoulders. I can’t allow myself to feel anything but sorry for an individual with so little tact. Because in end, you will be the one to face the consequences of your choices someday. There are few people in this world who tolerate that kind of backwards thinking, and you’ll eventually mouth off to the wrong person. My guess is that you already have, which is why you hide behind a screen name.
    proud-mother3.jpg

God knows there were plenty of cruel adolescent boys in my time: boys who took pleasure in pranks and jokes at others’ expense. There were even a few of them that were directed at me, but it gave me tough skin and I grew from the experience of facing such mistreatment. Maybe that’s why I’m willing to let this one go; I know where most of those boys ended up, and it’s nowhere I’d want to be. And as a teacher, I’ve seen kids like you crash and burn. Go outside. Read a book. Compliment someone. Most importantly, enlighten yourself; there’s already enough cruelty in this world, and anyone worth their salt should be striving to make this place better, not worse.

I simply hope my own children learn to look past ignorant comments and actions and treat others with respect and dignity. We all deserve it, even you.

Sincerely,

A Proud Mama

d56c5_doughnuts_4659400623_286b7628c6_o.jpg

One customer’s random act of kindness spurred a heartfelt chain reaction at a local donut shop – appropriately named Heav’nly Donuts – in Amesbury, Mass. When Eileen Taylor had gone through the drive-thru at the shop on Friday, she was surprised as she drove up to pay for her order.

*There was a woman ahead of me and she paid for my drinks, and I thought that was really cool. I thought it was really nice, it was unexpected,* Taylor told CBS affiliate WBZ.

When she came back on Saturday, she did the same and what happened next was nothing short of a miracle.

*After that, it was like, oh we’re three cars deep, four cars deep, and after about the 15th car I started letting the customers know, ‘Hey, we’re 17 cars in, you can either keep it going or you can take your coffee and go. Either way, it’s your choice,’* the clerk told WBZ.

The shop’s employees, used to seeing this act of kindness once in a while, were shocked at customers’ willingness to pay for each other’s orders. Prices ranged anywhere from $5 to $20.

Taylor, admitting that she had recently lost her job and money was tight, never expected that response.

*Fifty-five cars consecutively — it just kept going. And I thought that was just really something,* Taylor told the local CBS affiliate. *It was wild, crazy! Crazy at Heav’nly Donuts.*

Customers and employees alike hope that this chain of good deeds happens again. The 55-car chain was finally broken – only when the customer had no cars to pay for.

*I hope it happens every single weekend because it just put everybody in a good mood,* said Wendy Clement, the shop’s manager, told WBZ.

Taylor will no longer hesitate to pay it forward.

*This was really nice. It was worth it,* she told the station. *It was the best $12 I ever spent.*

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    They found this stray and took it home.
    88394472edff0b4635057fb4be50b596844a079326672a4fb27f41363c16b1e4_1.gif

bench.jpg

jerryevans.jpg

Jerry Evans, 72, would watch as kids and moms waited for the city bus in front of his home on a tiny strip of sidewalk in front of his Brooklyn Center home on Brooklyn Boulevard, a street known for its busy traffic. He couldn’t believe how dangerous it was to be so close to cars whizzing by, so Evans, a retired landscape designer, built a bus stop for the public on his front lawn, which included benches, a retaining wall and landscaping.
    This past October, Evans was nominated and chosen for Brooklyn Center’s Random Act of Kindness award because of his creation of the bus stop.
    *Thanks to Jerry’s kind and generous gift of his time, talent and treasures, those who catch the bus in front of his house have an attractive, safe place to sit while waiting for the bus,* said City Council member Lin Myszkowski, who nominated Evans after noticing the bus stop.

Last edited:

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ^^^Pretty sure that's the guy in Los Angeles who combs the streets searching for lost four legged souls. He's got a bunch of vids on yt showing his rescues. His vids are like your thread, tissues are a must.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    *alexthegreat90″ wrote: *I took this picture this morning:
    mcdonalds-lady.jpg

*Ever been somewhere and seen something that amazed you? I’m at the east side McDonald’s and this lady was sitting in front of me sleeping. She has everything she owns in a small backpack. Curled up with her blanket she sleeps not knowing what is going on around her. While she is sleeping everyone is getting their money out and putting it on the table so it’s there when she wakes up.*

‘ryclectic’ wrote:

*My buddy witnessed an act of utter kindness. Props to this girls humanity.
    manandgirl.jpg

*While he was standing on the corner waiting for the crosswalk he saw this woman buy two meals at a street vender and go sit down beside this man and give him one of the meals. She proceeded to introduce herself and talk to him about his life and just shot the [breeze] with him. She wasn’t acting superior, she was his equal, she just wanted to talk to and express inclusion to a fellow human being.*

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    A Bronx man is being hailed a hero for saving a teenage girl from the tracks at the Union Square subway station Wednesday night.

As WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond reported, Joshua Garcia, 34, sprung into action despite having no medical training.

13.jpg

Hero dad: Father of three Joshua Garcia saved the life of a young girl who fainted onto New York subway track.

Garcia said he saw the girl, identified as 16-year-old Stephanie Xue, swaying at the edge of the platform before she toppled over around 7 p.m. Wednesday, 1010 WINS’ Al Jones reported.

*How she hit the track was so loud it sounded like a gunshot,* Garcia said.

*I have kids so maybe it was just the father instinct that jumped into me but what’s sad to say is that I was the only one that actually moved to help her,* he said. *Real eye-opener. How can people be so cruel in this world, this is a young girl.*

Garcia, a father of three, said other commuters took out their cellphones to take pictures of the incident.

Xue fell to the tracks unconscious and split her head open.

21.jpg

*I mean, the skull you could see the skeleton part of her head,* Garcia said. *No thought, no hesitation, no second. I just went, jumped into the track and picked her up and put her on the platform.*

He said he could see the lights of the approaching 4 train after he jumped onto the tracks.

*The train was 2 minutes away, you could actually see the light on the railing,* said Garcia.

A fellow straphanger gave Garcia a hand to get back onto the platform after he lifted Xue up to safety. The train came barreling through about 40 seconds later, CBS 2′s Alice Gainer reported.

A nursing student and Garcia stayed with the teen until paramedics arrived.

Garcia said during the ordeal, Xue slipped in and out of consciousness. When he asked her if she had taken any medication that would’ve caused her to faint, she said no.

*It was tragic that it happened to her. When she came to, she asked me a couple questions and she was like ‘thank you, thank you’ after I answered her. I was just like, ‘no, you don’t have to thank me, I’m just glad I was here to help you,’* said Garcia.

31.jpg

Crowded platform: Out of hundreds waiting at Union Square for the uptown subway, Garcia and Justine Omilig, 23, a nursing student at Philips Beth Israel were the only people to help Xue

Xue was taken to Bellevue Hospital. She required 50 stitches to close up the wound on her head and was released Thursday.

The Bronx man is downplaying his actions, saying he’s no hero.

*I was just a pawn in the game of life that God put me in this situation because I normally would’ve left work at 5 instead of 6:45,* said Garcia.

Garcia said he hopes to have a reunion with the teen who, he’s been told, is doing fine thanks to his selfless actions.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It's sad to me how often that happens. as hundreds of on-lookers take photos and stand there terrified, only one guy has the guts to save a teenagers life. As great a story as that is, the fact that only 1/100+ acted kind of makes me feel embarrassed for humanity.

Bravo Garcia, Bravo.

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    A Drive-By Act of Kindness

by John Robinson

My wife and I are in our 60s, and we were traveling a couple of summers ago on a sparsely populated stretch of dirt road in rural S. E. Ohio when we got a flat tire. My mind raced into worst-case-scenario mode. If I couldn’t change the tire, even if we had access to cell-phone service (unlikely), we didn’t know where we were, so we would have a hard time telling the road-service tow truck where to find us. It could take hours to be rescued.

I could see that just ahead the dirt road merged with a paved two-lane road, so we drove that far so we could pull onto the berm to change the tire. The problem was that we were pulled off onto a sharp bend in the road, and it was going to be dangerous for me to change the tire, because I would be crouched out in the lane where an oncoming car might not see me as it came around the bend.

Resigned to having a terrible day, I didn’t even have time to get out of the car before a fellow in a pick-up truck pulled off the road across from us, came over to the car, and said, *Can I change that tire for you?* (Notice that he didn’t ask if he could HELP me change the tire.)

He was still getting the jack and spare tire out of the trunk when ANOTHER fellow pulled over and came over to help. The two of them knew each other and caught up on things while they quickly changed our tire. In only about 20 minutes after we had pulled off to the side of that paved road, we were on our way. It was the shortest terrible day I had ever had.

I told the two men that they were like Guardian Angels, and said that we couldn’t thank them enough. They said it was nothing and went on their way.

When I got back into the car I said this silent prayer: *God, grant each of them an extra-special blessing this week.*

–John Robinson

changing_tires_1.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Illinois twin sisters Chloe and Claire Gruenke were competing at a regional track-and-field meet this weekend, where they both participated in the 800-meter race.

During the run about 400 meters, 13-year-old Chloe felt something *pull and pop* in her thigh, eventually crumpling to the ground.

tumblr_inline_n5mumeral61qj1i2p.jpg

Claire, who was behind, came up and hoisted her sister on her back and powered the remaining 400 meters to finish the race.

*The energy from the crowd made me stronger,* Claire told KTVI later.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    A family in Carlsbad that lost their dream home in the San Diego area fires this week found something in the rubble that they never expected: a letter of hope left by a total stranger encouraging the family not to give up and to rise from the ashes.

The piece of paper – 189 words signed only with the letters *GB* – was anonymously left behind, taped to a shovel standing in the charred front yard of a home reduced to rubble.

fire-letter-2.jpg

*We cannot escape the tragedies that arise in our lives,* the letter begins.

The words that follow get more poignant with each sentence.

That simple letter, left in the wake of so much destruction, meant the world to the owner of that home, Bob Payne, and his family.

His daughter, Anya Bannish, was so emotional upon seeing the note she had trouble reading it out loud.

*Somebody left this beautiful letter. I don’t know if I can read this. It makes me so – there are so many amazing people out there that help,* Bannish told NBC 7.

Bannish’s wedding reception was held at her parents’ home less than a week ago. Now, her parents’ dream house is gone.

Though the loss is unbelievably difficult, Payne said he’s grateful his family evacuated in time.

*This is all stuff, even though it was a lot of stuff, but it’s just stuff. We’ll get it back,* he said.

Payne is also grateful for the words left behind by a stranger.

*It made you just tear up, it was just so well written,* he said. *It gives you hope.*

The anonymous letter has also deeply resonated with neighbors returning to the scorched area.

*I don’t know who left it, but that sums up everything that has happened,* said one resident

The words seem appropriate for residents just over the hill in San Marcos as well for an entire county still tallying the damage from nine fires.

Bannish said the note puts everything into perspective.

*There are some parts that are good, you know, to know that there are such good people out there and to know that we have such amazing friends and amazing family,* she said, holding back tears.

Here’s full letter, left by *GB*:

We cannot escape the tragedies that arise in our lives. We can search for a reason and ask – why? Maybe we could hold others at fault or imagine what life would be had this not happened, but perhaps what defines our character is not our struggles but how well we meet them and rise up after getting knocked down.

Faith will overcome fears, doubt and insecurities. Sometimes in life we don’t recognize how strong we actually are until we are faced with a great tragedy in our life. This calamity we face today will help develop the strength and fortitude we need for tomorrow.

Losing everything we own is sad, but the things we own do not diminish who we are inside. Sometimes the worst situation brings out the best in us and others.

When you put together a jigsaw puzzle made of hundreds of pieces, you put it together one piece at a time. No one can go back and change what has happened, but we can all start today and make a new tomorrow, one shovel at a time, one day at a time.

GB

fire-letter.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at Mocambo because of her race. Then, one of Ella’s biggest fans made a telephone call that quite possibly changed the path of her career for good. Here, Ella tells the story of how Marilyn Monroe changed her life:
    ella-fitzgerald-marilyn-monroe.png

*I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt… she personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him – and it was true, due to Marilyn’s superstar status – that the press would go wild. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it.*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom