Hot Shot Truckers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Any one hot shot on the forum? I have a brother in law looking to get into hot shot trucking. He has no experience doing it. He has no clue as to costs. From my limited internet searches he needs at least a F350 size truck. A goose neck trailer 20+ feet long, and insurance of 1M liability plus 100K cargo minimum. I figured bare bones a new truck would be 40K. Trailer should run 5K to 8K. Insurance should run around $800 - 1K per month. Any other incidentals other than gas, maintenance, tires, etc?
    Thanks

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    Will need a cdl and apportion tag. I ran hot shots 13 years ago when I was 21 had an f350 and 32' dual tandem goose neck, I got out because for me insurance was w too much 11k a year if I remember correctly(keep in mind this was for a 21yo) I think I paid about 7500 for my trailer brand new. He will have to keep a log book also. I had my truck tagged for 32k lbs I could load 18k on my trailer and be right on the edge of legal.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Depends on what he wants to haul.
    I have hot shot drivers from company's that we use running 3/4 tons with no problem. Whatever they can't handle normally needs a big rig anyway.
    Go with a used truck for sure. If he is just starting out he wants to keep his depreciation on equipment at a decreased rate than a new one and he doesn't need to get a new truck his first go.
    Same thing with the trailer. Get a god used trailer. Things depreciate in value fastest the first year/s.
    the lower his startup cost and monthly cost the better off he will be.

I can see what else he may need to worry about, I can ask a guy at work who does some runs for me and see what he says.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Like everyone said; CDL, run Log Book, Etc. Does he plan on leasing his truck to a Trucking Company or does he want to get his own authority? I would suggest leasing on to someone & running under their authority. If he has no experience it may be tough to get into. Insurance rates are crazy.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Not hard to get into at all, I did it for about 6 yrs....worked for a local company in B.R., made damn good money at it too !! Bought new truck and new trailer 98.5 dodge flatbed, 35' tandem gooseneck trailer with dovetail and 3 ramps !! Good dependable equipment is what he wants, with 8 or 10 3/8's chains and ratchet binders !! Can get apportioned for 48 states, with class A combination CDL or get all of his certification on his license that way he can haul whatever he wants....usually the owner of the company will cover the cargo insurance....this may have changed, just depends on who he leases too !! AND ABOVE ALL CIRCUMSTANCES NEVER TURN A RUN DOWN FOR ANY REASON WHAT SO EVER.....the owner and dispatcher will punish you until he absolutely needs you to run !!! Sky is the limit when it comes to trucks, a flatbed with a good heavy duty pipe wrack is a real good start to get your feet wet !!! He could double up on truck runs , flatbed runs and pipe rack runs !!! Insurance shouldn't be a problem but wont be cheap, especially for a youngster !!! Good luck hope this helps !!!

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I know of a 2003 f250 with the 7.3 long bed crew cab for sale that's set up for pulling. :)
    This would be the way to go. Buy this truck if it's in good shape and throw a 40' goose neck trailer on it. The mini-floats always stay busy. This is not a good job if you want to spend time with family or go out drinking since 90% of the time you're running nights. Be punctual and a go-getter and you can make alot of money, but keep in mind, the oilfield is feast or famine so make hay while the sun is shining.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Is there enough work to be had? With the Economy I'm seeing Road Truckers yank Log Trailers all over this State b/c they can't find/afford to haul road loads.

An old friend of mine said, a sign of a bad economy is when you see sleeper trucks hauling logs.

:dunno:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This would be the way to go. Buy this truck if it's in good shape and throw a 40' goose neck trailer on it. The mini-floats always stay busy. This is not a good job if you want to spend time with family or go out drinking since 90% of the time you're running nights. Be punctual and a go-getter and you can make alot of money, but keep in mind, the oilfield is feast or famine so make hay while the sun is shining.

Thanks for all of the input. Alpine please PM me with info on the truck and I will pass along.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I would look for a used truck that doesn't require DEF, and I towed a 27' enclosed trailer with a car, tools and air compressor with a Cummins and got way better mpg than the the f-350 diesel. It was ridiculous how often the ford had to stop compared to the dodge. But I did like the ford better on the inside.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    dont forget personel transport.
    ive been picked up by guys in ford rangers, f150's, minivans, even an early 90's Cadillac.

just need a chauffeur license(25 questions) and insurance.

lots of the big companies(acme, coastal, etc..) are always hiring. a great way to get experience.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    dont forget personel transport.
    ive been picked up by guys in ford rangers, f150's, minivans, even an early 90's Cadillac.

just need a chauffeur license(25 questions) and insurance.

lots of the big companies(acme, coastal, etc..) are always hiring. a great way to get experience.
    Yeah definately get a crew cab for the personnel transport. Some of my best paying runs, until one of them decides to light up a cigarette because he figures he can since his company is paying for the ride. So I would usually turn off the truck and get out with the keys until it clears up. They don't like that since they usually want to get home fast. Just a suggestion.

Top Bottom