How are you carrying a backup mag for your CCW?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    lol let me know if you ever have to use that extra mag of yours, i pray you never even have to use the first one.
    but in the event you do. ill be the first to say i should have carried that extra mag

But you agree "Based on all responses, there are a lot of bad asses here that have seen their share of gun battles.".

For you to advise against people carrying a spare mag. I'd think you would have real life experiences to back up your advice?

Newbie21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    i never advised anyone not to carry that extra spare mag, if i somehow did, that was not my intentions

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    LEO will more than likely find themselves in a more stickier situation than I ever intend. but by goign offf of that we all should start wearing body armor and helmets. but to each their own.

I am just going to say, do as you wish. Myself, I carry 2 spare mags. If I do down, it will not be because I ran out of ammo. ;)
    And also, a lot of good body armor and a helmet does when the "bad guy" is using a rifle. ;)
    Me paranoid, not in the least. I live in the "real world".

Newbie21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    I am just going to say, do as you wish. Myself, I carry 2 spare mags. If I do down, it will not be because I ran out of ammo. ;)
    And also, a lot of good body armor and a helmet does when the "bad guy" is using a rifle. ;)
    Me paranoid, not in the least. I live in the "real world".

lol all im saying from the beginning if my first 17 rounds werent effective i better make a run for it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    lol all im saying from the beginning if my first 17 rounds werent effective i better make a run for it.

I am done here since you are not getting the point of if you have issues such as a malfunction with the 1 17 rd mag that will not feed all rds for you to fire. You have 1 mag, it screws the pooch, it fails to feed the first or first couple of rds, you toss the handgun, run, and hope you dont get shot in the bunghole leaving the area. Stuff happens. Planning for the unexpected separates the men from the boys. ;)

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    i guess ill reverse course and say screw the extra mag. wear a vest full of them lol

I don't judge people for carrying or not carrying a spare mag I could care less. I do however have reasons why I care spares.

You made a statement against people who do carry a spare with no personal experience to back it up. Then you say screw it you will carry a vest full. I get the feeling you just feel the need to disagree with others.

You may benefit by being open minded and taking a couple classes with a qualified instructor.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    "if I carry a 1911" I always use a bianchi iwb mag holder.. If I carry my glock 23,19,30s I feel more than confident with no spare mag 90% of the time... I do keep spare mags in my truck so if I feel the need for one I can throw one in my pocket. But for typical runs to the gas station, to a friends house, local mom and pop grocery store im good with the 1 mag

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    haha you and me both. if i cant get the job done with 15-17 rounds then im doing something wrong

This sounds like great gun store counter advice.
    While we're at it,
    'Don't modify your gun because if you have to use it the prosecution will use that against you'
    'I carry a .45 cuz they don't make a .46'
    and
    'If you shoot someone outside your house, you better drag them back inside' <<My personal fave :rofl:

If you listen to people who know what they're talking about, they'll tell you that it's not just about having a bunch of ammo. Common to many failure drills is the removal and replacement of the magazine. Also, common to many failures is a mag-related problem. They get dirty, the feed lips get bent. You think you have 15 rounds but you may only get 1 if you have a mag problem. Is 1 round enuff?
    'Aw hell, if ya can't get the job done with 1 round, either ya shouldn't'a been there or ya need more training'

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Alright girls, you're all pretty. Now can we get back on topic. I didn't ask if you carry or don't carry. I was asking how do you carry a spare mag. If you don't then that's cool. Please move on to the next thread.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    9b8db5392c07e4956f23ac59c790aa69.jpg

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Alright girls, you're all pretty. Now can we get back on topic. I didn't ask if you carry or don't carry. I was asking how do you carry a spare mag. If you don't then that's cool. Please move on to the next thread.
    :love::love::love:

I use Desantis MagPacker in my left front pocket. I find it way more comfortable than the belt mounted ones I've tried and almost as fast. I'd like to know if anyone has used Snag-mag or Neo-mag with a double-stack and how that worked.

Skipr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    :love::love::love:

I use Desantis MagPacker in my left front pocket. I find it way more comfortable than the belt mounted ones I've tried and almost as fast. I'd like to know if anyone has used Snag-mag or Neo-mag with a double-stack and how that worked.

I just got the Neo-mag but only practiced dry so far. It is a little slower reloading being that it is deeper in my pocket than a typical mag holder on my belt (at least for me).

Top Bottom