How can you tell if shrimp are fresh when buying

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    So I guess it's safe to say that you aren't an industry leader in crawfish then.

Chemicals and heavy metals in seafood is nothing new... there's also plenty of chemicals and heavy metals found in freshwater fish too.

If anyone's concerned with Gulf seafood, they should stop eating anything that comes out of the water altogether.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Chemicals and heavy metals in seafood is nothing new... there's also plenty of chemicals and heavy metals found in freshwater fish too.

If anyone's concerned with Gulf seafood, they should stop eating anything that comes out of the water altogether.

That is true! Most people don't care. And small trace amounts are no big deal unless you are obsessed with those elements to begin with. The Hepatopancreas or what most people refer to as fat in crawfish, are storehouses of these contaminants in crawfish. And though negligible, some folks eat tons of these things over long periods of time. Will it harm this person or that? Who really knows?

My advice and my practice of sucking less of these things' heads comes on the heels of a study by Tulane University many years ago, where I provided samples of live crawfish from several different areas of Louisiana. I will try to find the article and post it.

But it is a littel scary.

Masonmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, well I guess I will chime in on my .02 worth......personally if it looks good,smells good taste good and there are no "valid" warning out Im eating it.Sorry to say that in 5,10,20 years from now when/if it "catches" up up to my health I wont know what it was anyhow.With the chemicals,preservatives,pesticides etc in all EVERYDAY food we eat everyone is at sometime of heath "risk".So if you dont grow it,you dont know it!As for me I'll deal with it and hope for ther best.....BUT BUT BUT what I will say is that I do not believe the validity of goverment testing and people REPORTING results to the government testing.Why?Because when they had the fish kill in the Pearl River a while back and everything past the tests it was simply unbelievable after seeing the kill and chemicals personally.Just my opinion....

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    You would be wrong! That's twice in the same thread for you. Are you trying to make a point?

I guess so. It just seemed to me you went batshit crazy when someone suggested something was wrong with Vermillion Bay shrimp then later brought up the heavy metal content in crawfish.

However, the point I was trying to make turned out to be a stupid one. You were just being honest and genuine in your post. My apologies, carry on.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I guess so. It just seemed to me you went batshit crazy when someone suggested something was wrong with Vermillion Bay shrimp then later brought up the heavy metal content in crawfish.

However, the point I was trying to make turned out to be a stupid one. You were just being honest and genuine in your post. My apologies, carry on.

It takes a good bit of class to do what you just did, Sir! Kudos to you.

Again, I am a very harsh critic of my own industry. But it is for the good of it and the people we feed, not the nefarious purposes that many seem to have. Trust me, we have alot of ne'er-do-wells in my industry. It is a tough battle from the inside.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I'm looking forward to many a Gulf Seafood dinner!

Emperor, I know that you have a vast knowledge of gulf seafood. I also know that you will dispel any rumor that is untrue related to seafood even if it were pro-seafood. For that I tip my hat and thank you Sir.

d61wfklgb3uhq164m3c.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm looking forward to many a Gulf Seafood dinner!

Emperor, I know that you have a vast knowledge of gulf seafood. I also know that you will dispel any rumor that is untrue related to seafood even if it were pro-seafood. For that I tip my hat and thank you Sir.

d61wfklgb3uhq164m3c.jpg

Paintball, just so you know, those two shrimp are not previously frozen. Their whiskers are still intact. :D

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sorry folks, I cannot reduce the size of the PDF below the limit to get the Tulane Crawfish study file on here. I will try something different.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Unfortunately, a person that exhibits such terrible grammar and misuse of the language loses alot of credibility with me whe it comes to science. I now know where Sir Isaac got his opinion about her.

You are talking about a housewife that rose to the occasion when her family and way of life were threatened, she never claimed to be anything different, from what I saw she was just not willing to be swept under the rug by the likes of big money interest in the GOM, people ready to sell shrimp oil and corexit in the same gumbo pot. She was liason with BP until she started to call their hand, then she became an activist and the negative started.

I'm sure everyone involved were not underhanded moneygrubbing industrialist...but the people affected had no way to know who was for them or against them so they fought to preserve themselves best way they could.

Still there exist several several samplings that directly contradicts government findings...there will never be a resolution. Too much money at stake, this is a fedral government that believes some business 's are too big to let fail. Seafood is one of them.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Unfortunately, a person that exhibits such terrible grammar and misuse of the language loses alot of credibility with me whe it comes to science. I now know where Sir Isaac got his opinion about her.

Look at Erin Brockovich and you might change your mind as to what one who is not a Scientist can accomplish with common sense, a driving work ethic, and a desire to search for the truth, if they are given a chance to pursue and reveal the truth, especially when the truth and data are covered up and hidden from the public.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You are talking about a housewife that rose to the occasion when her family and way of life were threatened, she never claimed to be anything different, from what I saw she was just not willing to be swept under the rug by the likes of big money interest in the GOM, people ready to sell shrimp oil and corexit in the same gumbo pot. She was liason with BP until she started to call their hand, then she became an activist and the negative started.

I'm sure everyone involved were not underhanded moneygrubbing industrialist...but the people affected had no way to know who was for them or against them so they fought to preserve themselves best way they could.

Still there exist several several samplings that directly contradicts government findings...there will never be a resolution. Too much money at stake, this is a fedral government that believes some business 's are too big to let fail. Seafood is one of them.

And that is why they crippled the oil industry here in Louisiana?!? Come on man. Seafood is a fly on ticks ass compared to other industry here. The feds couldn't give two shits about the seafood industry.

And if you want to play with conspiracy theory, why wouldn't the feds want to show that BP has screwed up seafood in the Gulf so they can fine them even more than they are already?

I will grant you that there are alot of questions still out, but the current safety of the seafood directly resulting form the BP oil spill is not one of them.

As for this woman, you have to understand what was at stake just between BP, Transocean, Haliburton, and all the other plaintiffs/defendants in this thing. I can promise you the first thing the lawyers told them ALL to do, was keep your mouths open only to the facts that are already known in the public record. She may think she knows something, but she knows what she thought she needed to know; not what the big dogs really knew.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Look at Erin Brockovich and you might change your mind as to what one who is not a Scientist can accomplish with common sense, a driving work ethic, and a desire to search for the truth, if they are given a chance to pursue and reveal the truth, especially when the truth and data are covered up and hidden from the public.

Refer to response to Yrdawg.

dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011

Erin Brockovich was a white trash scam artist who personally profited hugely off a dubious claim against a company that chose to settle instead of spending the money on a legal battle.

Top Bottom