How deep are the wells (water) on the northshore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmyzshack

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Houma
    Anyone know? i asked the guy that came out and worked on ours last time but he didn't know and guessed 125'? They sell manual pumps that can be used along side (in line)with the electric ones.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    I seen a rig where they had a handstyle like you use for fuel connected to a T by the faucet at the tank with a valve to shut it off when not used.

380450Lg.jpg

http://www.qcsupply.com/qcsupply/br..._pla=Tools&cm_ite=Rotary+Hand+Style+Fuel+Pump

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The typical home well is around 450 ft. or so. In some areas of St. Tammany drinkable water can be gotten at 50 feet. My father had a guy hand drill a well (pounded by sledge) which was 80-90 feet and the water was drinkable but had a strong iron taste. This can be removed by filtering.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Most of the wells drilled were around the 300'-350' foot deep but the water table has dropped over the years with these wells, mine is at 470' my water table is about 8' making pump lift fairly easy. There are wells that we drilled at 800',1200' 1900' depending where you are and if you want it to flow naturally.

In Slidell the City well is set around 2600' in about 120' of sand strada.

Yes it is possible to still hand drive a well but the water can be contaminated very easily and during dry periods they loose prime easily due to the watertable dropping below the pick up or the capabilites of the pump!

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I had a question about this too. I am not trying to hi-jack the thread, but it might be good information for other people too.

I have a well that was dug at about 150' in the Denham Springs area. It was dug for the purpose of aeriation of an existing pond and for watering gardens and fruit trees. I think in my area if you want drinking water you are supposed to go deeper. In an emergency couldn't this well be used for drinking water after filtered or purified? So do they make hand pumps that tee off before you get to the main electric one?

THanks in advance.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    im not positive since it was drilled out about 12 years ago but i believe the one at my house in slidell is between 1200 and 1300 feet.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Anyone know? i asked the guy that came out and worked on ours last time but he didn't know and guessed 125'? They sell manual pumps that can be used along side (in line)with the electric ones.

How old is your well? Was it on the property when you bought it? 125' is very shallow for a drinking well. It may be fine for irrigation/livestock watering though.

I was thinking of having a water well drilled on my property for irrigating the garden and to help keep the pond full. I talked to a few neighbors; who have lived in the area since it was busted up in the late 80's, they told me it would be pointless because the water comes out the ground at 120 degrees+. more than 5 minutes of running will melt regular non hot rated PVC.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Wow.. Ours at 150' comes out very cold.

I live on the edge of a old sulfur mine that was mined with the Frasch method where they pumped superheated water and compressed air through separate pipes to dissolve the sulfur and carry it back up another pipe for collection. The mine was depleted in the early 1900's and the ground is still cooling.

Last edited:

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I live on the edge of a old sulfur mine that was mined with the Frasch method where they pumped superheated steam through the drill pipe to dissolve the sulfur and carry it back up the casing for collection. The mine was depleted in the early 1900's and the ground is still cooling.

Whew...glad you 'splained that. I thought maybe ya'll had drilled into Hell.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    jimmyzshack, water wells on the Northshore range from less than 100 to over 2,500 feet in depth depending on location. In general, water quality is better in the deeper aquifers (zones that produce water) unless you are in an area that is south of the Baton Rouge fault where you have salt water in the deeper aquifers. Also, in general, water levels in wells will be higher in the very shallow and deeper aquifers unless you are in an area where there is a lot of pumpage lowering water levels in those aquifers. Hand pumps can be used if the water level is high enough, but are limited in lift capacity.

Mrmojo, if the well is in good condition, is properly constructed, and has not been contaminated from some surface source, there should be nothing wrong with using the water for drinking in an emergency. Most of the problems with water from the shallower aquifers come from high hardness, iron, manganese, color, etc., none of which will hurt you if you drink it. It may also have a "rotten egg" smell, which is just a small amount of dissolved hydrogen sulfide gas. This is naturally occurring and harmless.

drumz2129, your neighbor is pulling your leg. Most of the wells in the Sulfur area are less than 600 feet deep. The average temperature gradient in the subsurface in Louisiana is about 1 degree F per 100 feet of depth starting with the mean annual surface temperature which is about 65 degrees. This means that you'd have to drill a well over 5000 feet deep to get 120 degree water, and at that depth it is all salty. If the shallow groundwater is coming out at 120 + degrees, you may have a problem:confused:

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I live on the edge of a old sulfur mine that was mined with the Frasch method where they pumped superheated water and compressed air through separate pipes to dissolve the sulfur and carry it back up another pipe for collection. The mine was depleted in the early 1900's and the ground is still cooling.

Wow, 100 years of cooling and still 120 degrees! I haven't run into that one before.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    In LaPlace, we get our water from 2 wells in Ruddock. They are 3600' deep. Before we had a new water tower in our neighbohood, the water came directly from Ruddock at a temp of 85-89 degrees. Didn't have to use hot water much to take showers then, now with the water tower the temp is a lot cooler.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Wow, 100 years of cooling and still 120 degrees! I haven't run into that one before.

I have been told that by several in the neighbor hood, all whom I have no reason to doubt. My uncle told me of a place that he was looking at buying in the early '90s that is less than 1/2 a mile from my place and the seller told him the same thing and even let him feel the water out of the well that was still set up even though they had public water from Houston River Waterworks. My property is old mines property and my back property line is less than 1/4 mile from the top of the dome.

Top Bottom