How did you become interested in Firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    A Red rider 200 shot Range model air rifle at 8 years old and never did shoot my eye out. My father taught me firearm safety with it and the natural progression of gun wants grew from there.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Grew up on The Lone Ranger and the myriad of cop shows in the 70s and 80s, and always had toy/cap guns. Lots of interest in the military as well, especially Marines as my paternal grandfather had served in WWII (never met him, though, just heard stories and looked at his unit history book "The Spearhead", 5th Division). When we moved out to "the country" in Lacombe, I convinced my mom to get me a BB gun for my birthday since every other kid out there had a BB gun or even .22s and .410s. That first was a Daisy lever action one-cock, but I also eventually got a pneumatic Crossman that shot BBs and pellets.

First real gun shooting, however, was in Brookhaven, MS with my step grandfather, also a WWII Marine veteran (6th Division). On their weekend property there he had built his own range, you sat at the hilltop where the trailer was and shot at targets going up the next hill, out to 150 yds. Started with a bolt action .22 with a scope, also shot a lot with a Remington 66, Ruger Mk II, a Colt .357 (I don't remember the model), and a Luger. He owned lots more, but those were the ones I really remember shooting.

First I owned had been my dad's pistols, he passed from cancer shortly after I returned from MOS school, and my stepmother gave me his Mk II and a Virginian Arms Dragoon .44Mag. At the Kenner gun show, I purchased an MAK-90 over an M-4 OR AR-15 because I had shot M-16s in boot/MCT, and figured I'd try something different. I wish at the time I had been more politically aware, as this was right before the AWB, and the Colt ARs that were going for $495 in any configuration (full or collapsible stock, 20 or 16 inch barrel, A1 or A2 uppers) tripled in price overnight, I could have invested most of the life insurance money I got after my dad passed and made a hefty profit. I just slowly added a few guns here and there after that, but it really took off after I became a LEO.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The earliest memory I have of shooting a gun is when I used to sink my dad's shotgun shells (by filling them up with BB's) that were floating in the water around the duck blind in a rice field in Whiteville. I think I might have been around 6. Not long after that I let a Crack-Back 20 Ga. knock the **** out of my shoulder and never looked back.

I've fired almost every gun the Modern Day Infantry uses, to include the .50 Sniper Rifle. (Amazing) and the good old blooper guns we carried in fallujah.

The only gun I never got to fire, but did carry for a few patrols was this dude,

This SOB was HEAVY TOO!

rbg64ar0.jpg

We did carry a few of these as well and I used it plenty.

This one was also HEAVY and would defintely knock the crap out of you after shooting doors all day with it.

Striker-12-guage-shotgun,%2Bknown-as-the-Street_Sweeper.jpg

lytur9

"Damn it!"
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gretna,La.
    My father is from the little town of Cottonport,La. and as far back as I can remember we were hunting and fishing. He never would buy my brother and I a BB gun because he thought they were too dangerous but when I was 6yrs old in 1958 he bought my brother and I a 22 rifle and 410 shot gun to hunt with. I remember in the early 60's after we moved to N.O. my father putting us on a train with our rifle,shotgun and fishing poles in tow to visit our grandfolks in Cottonport. No one ever gave us any trouble man the good old days I sure miss them dearly.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The earliest memory I have of shooting a gun is when I used to sink my dad's shotgun shells (by filling them up with BB's) that were floating in the water around the duck blind in a rice field in Whiteville. I think I might have been around 6. Not long after that I let a Crack-Back 20 Ga. knock the **** out of my shoulder and never looked back.

I've fired almost every gun the Modern Day Infantry uses, to include the .50 Sniper Rifle. (Amazing) and the good old blooper guns we carried in fallujah.

The only gun I never got to fire, but did carry for a few patrols was this dude,

This SOB was HEAVY TOO!

rbg64ar0.jpg

Found the photo last night while celebrating the Marine Corps Birthday.

mglbw.jpg

simplyorange

None Other Than.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Dutchtown
    back in the day my dad and his 2 brothersall had ak's,sk's,ak's, tech 9's and a misc array of handguns and small rifles, every other weekend we would go to the back of my dads property and target shoot and it was a blast, i started with 22 handguns and rifles and moved my way to the larger ones over time,it slowly fizzled and about the time i turned 18 everybody sold thier guns, when i turned 21, i decided to buy my own, now me, my girlfriend and my younger brother started doing it agian and when my son is old enough i will let him move up from his red ryder.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I guess it started with cork guns as a small child, BB guns a little older, then a .22 and 20 gauge when I was a little older. Where I was brought up, if you couldn't shoot, your familiy wasn't going to eat very well.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    My earliest memory is plinking soup cans (most beer was still in bottles then) with a 3-days-older-than-God .22 my dad owned and squirrel hunting with it also.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Too close to a shooting.

I was in school in N.O. in the 1980's and there was a armed robbery that turned into a murder in the parking lot of the school I was attending about 5 minute before I walked to my car. I went out and bought a handgun the next day. Been shooting ever since.

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    As a kid my Dad taught me firearms safety with the perfunctory Daisy BB gun. I never really touched firearms much at all after that. In 2006, I went to visit a good friend in Connecticut, he was very much into the whole “handgun thing” and participated in IDPA style matches. While I was there he talked me into participating in one of the matches, he set me up with a Glock 9mm (can’t remember what model, at that time all I knew was that it was a firearm) and as they say, “the rest is history”. I can’t really say that I have a firearms addiction, but I definitely have an addiction to competing with firearms.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Squirrel hunting with my Uncle's .22 pump. He gave me two shells. If I got the Squirrel he gave a replacement. If I missed, I was down to one shell. He taught me the right way early. Be sure of your shot, and don't miss!

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    +1 for Dads.

My first gun was a cork gun, within a few minutes I figured out that it would actually shoot the cork if did away with the string. I was probably somewhere between 3 and 4.

I have been hooked ever since

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    I honest can not remember being with out a toy gun, growing up. the cap guns that use the paper caps, or guns that had the suction cup darts. even a real nice cork gun. Then one Christmas I got a BB gun. My first real gun was a single shot bolt action 410. Over The years I acquired quite a collection but most drowned in Katrina.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Obviously when I was kid. I cant say my dad as he wasnt really around. So it was all the toy guns that i got as gifts in the early 80's. Then I joined the military and realized that I had a natural act for shooting. I pretty much got to shot everything you can imagine in the military arsenal. So now that I have been overseas working for awhile I have stashed enough money away where I will be bale to get a safe full when I go home to Lake Chuck in less than 5 months. Cant wait to get home for good and get into some matches and knock the rust off of my trigger finger.

Top Bottom