How Do You CCW?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have a Glock 23 and a Sub Compact XD that I use for CCW depending on the situation. I have a IWB for my Glock and an ankle holster for the XD. Neither of these guns fit my defenition of having a safety (A mechanical device, lever, or button that has to be mechanicaly manuplated to a Fire position before depressing the trigger while normally gripping the gun will cause the gun to fire). Therefore I do not carry with one in the chamber. Now before anyone says seconds count and the time it may take you to chamber a round could be the difference blah blah....you may be right but I am not willing to take a chance of putting a round down my leg or into my foot carrying a gun with out my defenition of a safety. I'll gamble on the time to chamber. I do love both guns and they suit my desires for a CCW before anyone starts screaming 1911 has a mechanical safety.

So I guess the question is how do you carry your CCW. And also I know alot of members are LEO's. How are you trained to carry your duty gun on your belt. With or Without one chambered? Is it model Specific ie. if it has a manual safety then chambered. If not then w/o one chambered?

Edited Mexican style. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure "mexican style" is defined as in the waistband with no holster.
    Furthermore, as long as your holster has something covering the trigger guard, imo there shouldn't be any concerns about having a loaded chamber.

To answer the question, I carry my G19 IWB in condition 1.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Ummm, I'm pretty sure "mexican carry" is just jamming the pistol in your waistband. And not carrying "hot", (one in the pipe), pretty much relegates CC to uselessness, IMHO. I have never seen anybody draw,rackslide,aim,press. Always draw,aim,press. ;) Again, just my opinion, everybody needs to be comfortable with how they decide to carry.

DAMN, Spanky types faster than me!:mad::rofl:

Whoops forgot to answer the OP question.
    Hk P2000SK in a Galco Skyops IWB ready hot. (the way LEM pistols are designed to be carried)
    And sometimes the P2kSK in a SERPA paddle.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I carry all of my pistols "Mexican Style" with one in the chamber. G19, 1911, PPK, 229.

Oh, and they are right - Mexican Style is IWB without a holster.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    IWB Condition 1 G19. G34 Condition 1 in duty holster. A unloaded gun is a paper weight.

Again this comes down to training and mindset, from your post you feel that you need to carry, but do no want to carry "ready".. This alone is a problem due to the fact that the precious second(s) could give your attacker a chance to disarm you.

We were doing drills the other night and I think my fastest from IWB was 1.3 with double tap, split time to mag change with 1 more shot was 3.2.. Granted I haven't "trained" in about 5 months, it has opened my eyes that I need to shoot alot more.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    According to Massad Ayoob, the reason it's called Mexican Style is because being caught in Mexico with a holster is just as bad as being caught with a gun. So soldiers traveling across the border for fun would carry their pistols sans holster so they could dump it easily if needed. Dunno if that's true or just folklore.

I carry a HK P7 IWB with two reloads and a Keltec P3-AT with one reload in my pocket.

If you aren't confident enough to carry with one in the pipe you probably shouldn't be carrying a pistol and should seek professional training.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    When I do carry; either Glock, S&W or Sig, it is ALWAYS in a holster and ALWAYS one in the pipe.

You do what you want, but anyone who doesn't protect the trigger on a loaded gun (one in the pipe) is asking for trouble. I don't care how long you've been carrying without issues. I just make it a habit of carrying properly so I will not have issues later on and suggest other try their best to do this. Ask any certified CC instructor and they will tell you the importance of this. Not trying to offend anyone, but I just want to be as responsible as I can when dealing with something that can blow my nuts off. :ugh:
    freak.gif

DC.Com is a good site that has many FAQ's already answered.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    off duty I normally care my g27 IWB in a cheap safariland holster. sometimes I carry my g23 in the same holster.

both guns are loaded with one in the pipe at all times. you will not find a single gun I own unloaded except the shotgun in my unit, and that is by policy only.

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    I carry a Glock 19 in a Don Hume H715 IWB holster.
    If I didn't want one in the pipe I would just leave at the office for a paper weight.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Desantis Nemesis is a nice holster, I don't use it in my pocket but I use it to wedge my G19 between the console and the seat. When I had my car, leather seats, it held it's position well enough for me to unholster and reholster the weapon without any issues. I have cloth seats now and gave that G19 & Nemesis to someone as a gift, so I have to replace both.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    first off: any properly made holster will protect the trigger from being hit by anything so there is no danger in keeping a round chambered.
    I carry a G26 IWB with a Galco USA, always one in the pipe
    I don't conceal my G19, I carry it open when at the deer camp. Take that back, when I'm out there and run in to town I'll throw my untucked shirt over it so it is concealed.... the holster is a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster, it's more of a casual "concealed", but I could care less if someone figures it out or not.

Top Bottom