How does one become an instructor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Since Cat brought me up, just for the record I don't intend to offer classes. My reason for getting an instructor certification is so I can be a bit more qualified to train some of the clueless actors from Hollywood I have been working with. Bad gun handling in movies probably bugs all of us. I feel I am pretty well qualified to teach that sort of thing and have been doing it anyway so I might as well get a bit more training in instructing.

I kind of figured that's what you were looking at. I was just grappling for an example. Not sure if it was sensible or not.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I didn't say that. Hunh Bruh has nothing to do it. Why are you bringing him into a conversation when he's been banned?
    You said he probably wasn't qualified, all based on him not knowing where to get certificaion. As far as hunh bruh, I guess you missed the joke. Those fake certificates were made as a joke, showing how little pieces of paper don't compare to actual knowledge.

I don't disagree with that statement at all. But it is not a "good ol boy" network. To be a good instructor, you have to be a good student. Dawg has invested hundreds if not thousands of hours attending training seminars all over the nation. He's brought what he learned from a variety of instructors to his own classroom. It's my own opinion, you may disagree. That's certainly your prerogative but I believe it's just as vital to know how a class runs and operates before waltzing into a classroom as a proficient instructor. Over time relationships are formed. If not with particular people, at least in the instructional community.

Case in point: Martial arts. You've spent 20 years taking classes. You've helped your instructor. You've even instructed the junior classes under your instructor's watchful eye. You want to move on and open your own place.

Do you go to a martial arts forum and ask how to stand on your own… Or do you sit down with your mentor?
    Here is the issue with all of this. He didn't say he was planning on becoming an instructor in the original post. He asked a question out of curiosity. He got a direct answer from a few people, thanked them, and that should have been the end of the thread. Instead, dawg posted a rather sarcastic and juvenile response. As stated above, this is part of why people are leaving here. Rather than a quick question and answer constructive thread, we have a sarcastic waste of server space.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    You said he probably wasn't qualified, all based on him not knowing where to get certificaion. As far as hunh bruh, I guess you missed the joke. Those fake certificates were made as a joke, showing how little pieces of paper don't compare to actual knowledge.

Here is the issue with all of this. He didn't say he was planning on becoming an instructor in the original post. He asked a question out of curiosity. He got a direct answer from a few people, thanked them, and that should have been the end of the thread. Instead, dawg posted a rather sarcastic and juvenile response. As stated above, this is part of why people are leaving here. Rather than a quick question and answer constructive thread, we have a sarcastic waste of server space.

Okay.

G

gunguy11

Cat. You may think dawg is a great instructor but I disagree. So what if he has the knowledge. That makes him a knowledgable instructor. But even when I pointed out he was being an ass and that is what is frowned upon by most of us here, he laughed and treated it like he is better than us. I only know of two "great" and knowledgable instructors.
    Cujo and Guate. What separates them from dawg is there attitude and character. (not saying they don't have more of you here these are just the two I can speak of).
    So cat I will have to disagree and say dawg is just a knowledgable instructor and that is all.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

Rough lol. But I did want to address one thing you talked about.
    Your attitude about instructors is exactly what I've been fighting against with some clients as a new instructor, and honestly, it's not at all unreasonable for you to feel that way (especially with all the retards with an NRA certificate out there).
    I won't say it's the Best attitude to have, given that there are really good guys who just haven't made it due to that, but I'm not sure what other attitude you can have as a consumer and not run the risk of getting fleeced. It's really up to us as instructors to overcome that through our marketing strategies.
    It's a very interesting industry where the majority of the customer base is looking for a commodity-type product (it's all the same permit to them, and at roughly the same price), and a Very vocal minority wants a measurable, qualitative instructor service.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

Apparently you still have your panties in a twist over a previous thread in which your propensity for puerile, argumentative "debating" was compared (unfavorably) to your Nola namesake.

I'm not sure who appointed you as arbiter of "sarcastic, juvenile posts," but you clearly have the requisite expertise.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Apparently you still have your panties in a twist over a previous thread in which your propensity for puerile, argumentative "debating" was compared (unfavorably) to your Nola namesake.
    Its funny you say that, especially when people get you confused with your now banned namesake. Its good to know you think im "kind of a big deal."
    I'm not sure who appointed you as arbiter of "sarcastic, juvenile posts," but you clearly have the requisite expertise.

Clearly I don't have that expertise. I have no clue as to where I would get certified and according to your friend you're probably not qualified if you don't know where to get your certification.

By the way, good job avoiding the discussion at hand and resorting to mud slinging. Speaks volumes about your character.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cat. You may think dawg is a great instructor but I disagree. So what if he has the knowledge. That makes him a knowledgable instructor. But even when I pointed out he was being an ass and that is what is frowned upon by most of us here, he laughed and treated it like he is better than us. I only know of two "great" and knowledgable instructors.
    Cujo and Guate. What separates them from dawg is there attitude and character. (not saying they don't have more of you here these are just the two I can speak of).
    So cat I will have to disagree and say dawg is just a knowledgable instructor and that is all.

And you know, to be honest… That's fine. I'm not being snide here, I thought about your comments for a little while.

A person may like an individual, or they may not. The single reason why they do not get along is all about personality. I like Dawg. I adore LSP972. But I also like a few people that left to the BOW after getting to know them. The great thing is that my friends don't have to like my other friends.

*I* might prefer Dawg's CHP class. *YOU* might prefer Cujo's. And that's perfectly cool. It's what makes the world a great place. The important thing is that we're involved in firearms. I meant it when I said this is my opinion. I don't come here with an agenda. It's why I said "okay" to Nola Jack. It's not worth the argument. His opinion is just as valid as mine. Moving on…

I'm not being sarcastic, or a smart ass, or snarky or bitchy. It's the honest truth. It's all good. :)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    But even when I pointed out he was being an ass and that is what is frowned upon by most of us here, he laughed and treated it like he is better than us.

Lemme see ................... you've been a member for less than a year, and you are speaking for "most of us here" ??

Maybe you're right, but without knowing who "us" is, I'm afraid it's hard to say if I'm better. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Lemme see ................... you've been a member for less than a year, and you are speaking for "most of us here" ??

Maybe you're right, but without knowing who "us" is, I'm afraid it's hard to say if I'm better. :rolleyes:
    This is exactly what he is talking about.

G

gunguy11

This is exactly what he is talking about.

No doubt, but he is too much of a child to pick up on it.
    His parents probably gave him everything in life and he was the class clown in high school.

G

gunguy11

I didn't know longevity played a role in being able to speak on behalf of several members who I have pm's from.
    You are a joke.
    I haven't been here a year, or even near
    As long as you but I managed to contribute to this board and donate. What have you done besides contribute childish remarks and snarle at some folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I didn't know longevity played a role in being able to speak on behalf of several members who I have pm's from.
    You are a joke.
    As long as you but I managed to contribute to this board and donate. What have you done besides contribute childish remarks and snarle at some folks.

Sorry -- didn't mean to "snarle" at you (whatever that means), but I'm still waiting for you to disclose who "most of us here" might be. :rolleyes:

G

gunguy11

If all you have to go off of is an "e" at the end of snarl while I'm using tapatalk, then you will never see the point.
    I won't disclose names out of respect. They did not consent to be named, so I won't betray their trust. Once again instead of realizing what the actual point is and taking it to become a better man you harp on something irrelevant. Have a great afternoon, this is pointless.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Sorry -- didn't mean to "snarle" at you (whatever that means), but I'm still waiting for you to disclose who "most of us here" might be. :rolleyes:
    I hope you realize your comments are self defeating. He contends you are an ass and you keep making his case.

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    You are a joke.

yea my inbox is almost full from members here saying different things about DAWG23 none good either. seems like "most of us here" would agree he is an *******.

cat and dawg lol the two of you are probably the kind of instructors im talking about. think you know it all... but foam ******** out the side of your mouth.
    neither of you are veterans. i can tell because you would know that you must give and sit through hundreds of classes in the military, and as an Infantryman all of them are weapon related...
    i cant count the classes ive given to joes. pistol, carbine, gl, mg... i still wouldnt act like an ******* infront of civilians or teach from a high horse.
    and its funny that you assume im even talking about pistols. my question was vague because i wanted a simple answer but once again people who think they know it all must always give their opinions.

real life exp. will trump 1000 classes anyday. you can practice and know everything their is to know but when someone close to you is on the ground bleeding out and dying... neutralizing a threat becomes 1000 times harder.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Well running liberty and dawg23 I'd like to hear all about your "credentials" I myself am a combat veteran with more time behind a weapon in 16 months than the both of you put together! so real life experiences is all I have to offer. Either one of you ever been in a fire fight? I never said I wanted to be an instructor. My question... As I clearly stated in my OP was one of curiosity and it's because of the instructors I've personally witnessed giving people bad information.
    No offense to your background, but that doesn't really apply to the civilian world, carrying concealed, and the laws back in the USA.

Also, it has nothing to do with whether or not you're a good teacher. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." So if you 'can' so to speak, then the norm is against you.

You ever do any private sector training recently?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mack123410
    Top Bottom