How far does "your car is an extension of your home" go?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    During my CHP class, the instructor said your car was an extension of your home by La law, and therefore you can keep a loaded handgun there if you desire. I have a question on cars and gun free zones. If I have a weapon in my auto, can I park my car in a parking garage on a college campus? What about a work site that's fenced in and has a "no firearms" sign, but I park inside the fence every day. Can I have a weapon in my car then? I'm just curious about both these scenarios for both myself and my wife.

So all ye learned scholars of the BayouShooter collective, what do you think?

Thanks.
    BMN

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Can't speak as to "how far does it go?" but as it pertains to university's, I emailed the chief of operations of UNO PD and asked if it was legal for me to keep my gun in my car since the university is a gun-free zone. He responded by quoting a LA statute that states as long as it is it completely contained in your car in a safe manner, you are within the law. Sorry, I don't remember what statute it was exactly.

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    As long as the weapon stays in your car you should be fine. If you to take it from front seat to trunk then you would have had a gun in the property and that would be the issue. That's how my teacher covered it.

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    Also, there was a law that was recently passed in the state that employers couldn't discriminate against anyone that had a gun in there vehicle. So it is now legal to have one on your employers property, with in your vehicle, without fear of being reprimanded. There are clauses in this law though. If your employer designates certain parking lots for "guns and non-guns" you have to use it. There cant be a strictly gun only parking because this would identify gun owners vehicles. My HR person told me that the Louisiana Chemical Company Coalition(I don't know there real name but is something like that) got together to try to fight the law but failed. Our company only has one parking lot so they aren't able to make any of there own rules.

But what about schools not universities? Like picking up children from school? Anyone?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Hmm, interesting. It would seem that my wife would be free and clear as far as parking at a university / college as long as she doesn't take her weapon out from 100% inside the vehicle.

I suppose I should contact someone about my issue of parking inside an industrial facility (my job allows on site parking) versus the hourly personnel parking lot (outside the fence line). This seems unreasonable though. This basically says I can't protect myself when coming to or going from work unless I park in the hourly guys lot, which would definitely single me out, again due to my job.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Did your Instructor happen to put out what the Law is so you can read it? Who was your Instructor?

Shall I bring up the Don-Mega threads from the T-Rex era? :p

As far as defending one's self goes and concealing/carrying/storing a firearm is concerned, the phrase "Your vehicle is an extension of your home" applies in almost every single instance.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Parking lot law

Also, there was a law that was recently passed in the state that employers couldn't discriminate against anyone that had a gun in there vehicle. So it is now legal to have one on your employers property, with in your vehicle, without fear of being reprimanded. There are clauses in this law though. If your employer designates certain parking lots for "guns and non-guns" you have to use it. There cant be a strictly gun only parking because this would identify gun owners vehicles. My HR person told me that the Louisiana Chemical Company Coalition(I don't know there real name but is something like that) got together to try to fight the law but failed. Our company only has one parking lot so they aren't able to make any of there own rules.

But what about schools not universities? Like picking up children from school? Anyone?
    As long as the company has a publicly accessible parking lot you can keep it locked in your vehicle. If they require you to go inside a locked gate, or guarded gate not accessible to the public then you can't bring it in.
    I wrote and submitted the original parking lot bill and submitted it years ago ( still have original copy). My state rep ( Bobby Faucheaux ) would not sponsor it so I had to find someone else. Ernest Wooten wound up sponsoring it but in order to get it passed it had to be amended. Then we made it better after it passed. My company (star enterprise/ Motiva) fought me tooth and nail on this (they also with La Chemical Assn) they also tried to say they came under the Marsec rules so the law didn't apply to them but they were wrong and I won so they had to put out an email telling the employees they would comply with the law. It eventually cost me my job when I took a staff position and they made me retire, but it was worth the fight.. I got another job and they treat me better too.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Can't speak as to "how far does it go?" but as it pertains to university's, I emailed the chief of operations of UNO PD and asked if it was legal for me to keep my gun in my car since the university is a gun-free zone. He responded by quoting a LA statute that states as long as it is it completely contained in your car in a safe manner, you are within the law. Sorry, I don't remember what statute it was exactly.

RS 14:95.6

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow

RS: 32.292.1 I have that one commited to memory http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=630878

Now I hear the "A vehicle is an extension of your home" all the time but is that really true? Someone quote me the RS XX.XXX.XX number and I'll believe it. You can do things in your home you CAN'T do in your car. I think this is urban myth but I may be wrong?

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think they are referring to this.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Now I hear the "A vehicle is an extension of your home" all the time but is that really true? Someone quote me the RS XX.XXX.XX number and I'll believe it. You can do things in your home you CAN'T do in your car. I think this is urban myth but I may be wrong?

That phrase is not in the law b/c it's not a law. It's a phrase used to describe the striking similarities when understanding firearms and the use there of whether in your home or motor vehicle.

Of course you can do things in your home you can't in your car but were not talking about everything under the sun. We’re talking about firearms and the use there of.

In THAT context, which is the context this phrase is so often used, it is indeed quite the accurate phrase.

I don't understand why that is so hard to understand :dunno:

Barney,
    (WE) Charlie & Rock,
    have most assuredly played this game and seen it played for YEARS now.

I find your post a tad rhetorical. What gives? :dunno:

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    RS: 32.292.1 I have that one commited to memory http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=630878

I'd also like to see it. I remember it being said that be size it wasn't specifically excluded it was allowed.
    That it was an urban lmyth that just won't die

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I don't know all of the details but a couple months back an employee for marathon told me they were checking cars and if they found anything you were gone. I just texted him so hopefully he has more to mention about it. It doesn't seem legal but I don't know if the rules are the same for oil refineries. He may be full of it but it did get my attention.

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    Vigilante Sniper

My brother works at the Norco site. I think he and I may have talked about you before. If you know him, we share the same nickname which is also my user name.

I know Motiva did make there own rules that have to be followed. His truck doesnt have a locking glove box so he had to purchase a small lock-box that is cabled to his seat.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    That phrase is not in the law b/c it's not a law. It's a phrase used to describe the striking similarities when understanding firearms and the use there of whether in your home or motor vehicle.

Of course you can do things in your home you can't in your car but were not talking about everything under the sun. We’re talking about firearms and the use there of.

In THAT context, which is the context this phrase is so often used, it is indeed quite the accurate phrase.

I don't understand why that is so hard to understand :dunno:

Barney,
    (WE) Charlie & Rock,
    have most assuredly played this game and seen it played for YEARS now.

I find your post a tad rhetorical. What gives? :dunno:

What gives is that you CANNOT do the same thing in your car as your home. Now I'm not trying to go off the deep end but people that say this are well, incorrect. Thinking such can land you in trouble. We hear it all the time, and most cops believe this to be true so it works in "our" favor most of the time but there are instances where this could be an issue. A normal example would be leaving a weapon in plain sight. Ok in your home, not ok in a vehicle on company property. More deep end examples would be nudity.

Now lets keep this on track and NOT go deep sea fishing but until someone shows me the RS # the saying "A vechicle is an extension of your home" that statement is inaccurate an purely an urban myth IMO. Yes this is semantics but that is 100% what law is, semantics. I understand the intention of the pharse but does it hold legal water? If so give me the RS number not "[We] have most assuredly played this game and seen it played for YEARS now" aka it has been repeated so many times it is "Fact".

Now I may indeed be wrong and if so great but show me some law stating such. Because "my coworker said" or "I called and the guy at the police station told me" doesn't mean **** in a court of law. The only thing that matters is the laws on the books at the time of the incident. If I have legal footing that states "My vehicle is an extension of my home" then GREAT I want to know that, but I have never seen anyone produce this law.

IMO this is an "urban myth" just like AR CLIPS, ASSAULT RIFLES, and other crap the media spreads. Let's stick to facts and have accurate statements than can be legally backed up with documented law. We should all strive to be more informed gun owners and be able to pass on valid knowledge and laws not opinions to our friends, family and coworkers.

So to answer the OP's Title. It goes as far as Unicorns and Bigfoot. Everyone knows what they are but no one has ever seen them.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What gives is that you CANNOT do the same thing in your car as your home. Now I'm not trying to go off the deep end but people that say this are well, incorrect. Thinking such can land you in trouble. We hear it all the time, and most cops believe this to be true so it works in "our" favor most of the time but there are instances where this could be an issue. A normal example would be leaving a weapon in plain sight. Ok in your home, not ok in a vehicle on company property. More deep end examples would be nudity.

Now lets keep this on track and NOT go deep sea fishing but until someone shows me the RS # the saying "A vechicle is an extension of your home" that statement is inaccurate an purely an urban myth IMO. Yes this is semantics but that is 100% what law is, semantics. I understand the intention of the pharse but does it hold legal water? If so give me the RS number not "[We] have most assuredly played this game and seen it played for YEARS now" aka it has been repeated so many times it is "Fact".

You sure about that? It's ok on my companies property considering it's in my motor vehicle and most assuredly is protected if that parking lot is public access and not gated with guards right? as seen above?

Where did that 'In plain sight' phrase come from? is it in the Law?

It's not an urban myth b/c the phrase applies clearly when it comes to justifiable homicide does it not?

Don't confuse the issue with NON-firearm related topics like nudity/sex in your car etc. That's out of context with what we’re talking about.

Top Bottom