How hard is it to carry a full size gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    New to Carry world and would love some input.

I've got an xds should should be fine for carry but would absolutely love to carry my G17. Is this do able or should I just stick with the Xds?
    Been looking at alien gear holsters and that was gonna be my 1st shot at a IWB holster.

Thx in advance!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You are going to collect holsters like a woman with shoes, it's normal don't worry.

I carried a full size P220 for a few months when I first started before I could afford smaller guns. It is doable, plan your outfit accordingly and be mindful of your body positioning (bending over, etc).

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Appropriate clothing, a good belt and a good holster. I like something with 2 belt clips to distribute the weight some (ctac or mtac) and a thick knit cotton polo works for me.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I have a strong side IWB for my G17 that has a cant forward to help pull the grip in closer to my body so that its not sticking out.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Well you can dress to the way you carry or you can carry to the way you dress. Ive been carrying a g19 or a 27. The 19 more so. Thats not a full sized handgun but it sure isnt the smallest. I lve used a Raven Concealment iwb rig. Im confident i could carry a fullsize with this same rig.

Geezer Squid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I carried a Glock 34 a long time ago. I used a CrossBreed hybrid with horse hide leather backing. That hard leather covered the gun 100% preventing metal parts from digging into my body. That holster allowed me to carry the gun at an extreme forward cant and fairly low in relation to the belt. The forward cant worked me for me in helping to conceal the long grip. I was quite a bit heavier back then and that carry combination did not print. Well, the muzzle, being as long as it was, did print a little. But still did not look like a gun.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I carried a Glock 17 in an Eidolon for over a year. It has a ton of surface area, so it gets a little hot during the summer. I can easily carry it with just a t-shirt. For summer carry, I opt for something slightly smaller, but in light of recent events, I may switch back to my full size carry rig.

I use this picture often, and although it shows my hoodie during the winter, a non-hipster fit T-shirt covers it just fine.

22984787051_f92c6ccb38_z.jpg

Last edited:

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I carried a Glock 34 a long time ago. I used a CrossBreed hybrid with horse hide leather backing. That hard leather covered the gun 100% preventing metal parts from digging into my body. That holster allowed me to carry the gun at an extreme forward cant and fairly low in relation to the belt. The forward cant worked me for me in helping to conceal the long grip. I was quite a bit heavier back then and that carry combination did not print. Well, the muzzle, being as long as it was, did print a little. But still did not look like a gun.

I was looking at them and alien gear which I think has corrected some of cross breeds issues. I like the forward cant.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Even 3 o'clock would be better. I know a few folks that carry full size guns at 3 o'clock IWB.

I carry a G-19 in a straight drop IWB holster at 3 o'clock with no problems.
    I have carried a G-17 in a straight drop IWB holster with no problems.

I have carried in 4/4:30 also. IMO: I felt the gun was too exposed, hard to draw in a car, hits on every restaurant chair I've ever sat in and it's very hard to protect the gun in any type of force on force scenario.

Top Bottom