How is this legal? 40 cars stopped and 20 innocent people handcuffed...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    Well, I would not use force against someone stealing the bank's paper notes (note that I did not say "money" because it isn't). The perpetrator's would have to be threatening my person before I'd consider the use of force.

Of course, everyone is different. And to each his/her own.

i know what you mean, but im sure at some point the BG would have aimed his weapon at me, which is the threshold for danger (IMO)

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    No One but the BG was arrested....only detained, searched and questioned.

Stop and frisk Under Terry v. Ohio 392 U.S. 1 (1968), law enforcement officers are permitted to conduct a limited warrantless search on a level of suspicion less than probable cause under certain circumstances. In Terry, the Supreme Court ruled that when a police officer witnesses "unusual conduct" that leads that officer to reasonably believe "that criminal activity may be afoot", that the suspicious person has a weapon and that the person is presently dangerous to the officer or others, the officer may conduct a "pat-down search" (or "frisk") to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon. To conduct a frisk, officers must be able to point to specific and articulatory facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant their actions. A vague hunch will not do. Such a search must be temporary and questioning must be limited to the purpose of the stop (e.g., officers who stop a person because they have reasonable suspicion to believe that the person was driving a stolen car, cannot, after confirming that it is not stolen, compel the person to answer questions about anything else, such as the possession of contraband).[24]

Other than being pulled at gunpoint and it taking 2 hours, appears to be legit.......

I can't see how this has anything to do with Terry.

The "and" in the above quote means the answer is "All of the above." Not "A & B but not C." Not "B & C but not A." Or any other combination. ALL.
    "Sir/Ma'am driving thru this intersection is "unusual conduct." WTF

That removed from the equation leaves the forgotten clause of the 4th Amendment. Unreasonable seizure.

Motorcycle time.:chuckles::boink::rockon:

Last edited:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Why can't this stuff ever be discussed without it going "there"? Is there no middleground?

You are on an Internet forum based out of Louisiana. How will there ever be a moderated, civil discussion on here with just anonymous people posting emotionless text. :)

No wonder this place is better than the soaps!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Originally Posted by SpeedRacer Why can't this stuff ever be discussed without it going "there"? Is there no middleground?

In the way of a helpful explination:

I think he means " why can't this stuff ever be discussed until everyone realizes I'm right.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Right or wrong, I'm waiting to see what the court rules on this stop. After all, the judge that rules that stop was within the scope is the only opinion that really matters.

JR1572

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Right or wrong, I'm waiting to see what the court rules on this stop. After all, the judge that rules that stop was within the scope is the only opinion that really matters.

JR1572

Because judges are immune to power grabs and treason. Always...

If he rules against common sense and Common Law he should be tossed from the bench!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Because judges are immune to power grabs and treason. Always...

Read this very slowly so you can understand this:

Cry all you want, but the judge will make a decision. Whatever decision it is, the decision will stand until it gets overturned on appeal.

As usual, when something does not go your way or fit your crazy agenda, you get all silly. Please, have your usual Internet breakdown.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Originally Posted by SpeedRacer Why can't this stuff ever be discussed without it going "there"? Is there no middleground?

In the way of a helpful explination:

I think he means " why can't this stuff ever be discussed until everyone realizes I'm right.

No, I meant to the realm of lunatics vs normal people. I was genuinely trying to discuss it with an open mind, throwing both sides out there. My time would've been better spent discussing it with the oak tree in the back yard.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    No, I meant to the realm of lunatics vs normal people. I was genuinely trying to discuss it with an open mind, throwing both sides out there. My time would've been better spent discussing it with the oak tree in the back yard.

Speed, I honestly believe that a reluctance to "go there," has brought us "to here." On the verge of nowhere. I know its tiring, but the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. I stole that line from Jefferson. Are you satisfied with the state of affairs in our homeland?

I stole this one from Barry Goldwater. I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

If that qualifies me as a lunatic, I'll be pleased to bear the title.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Read this very slowly so you can understand this:

Cry all you want, but the judge will make a decision. Whatever decision it is, the decision will stand until it gets overturned on appeal.

As usual, when something does not go your way or fit your crazy agenda, you get all silly. Please, have your usual Internet breakdown.

JR1572

Oh, cry me a damned river. You defend tyranny more often than not either by omission or by refusal to "cross swords" with the system. Stalin and Hitler needed your kind as do all tin pot dictators.

Lighten up!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Oh, cry me a damned river. You defend tyranny more often than not either by omission or by refusal to "cross swords" with the system. Stalin and Hitler needed your kind as do all tin pot dictators.

Lighten up!

Policework=tyranny?

You must be working on your "Sovereign Citizen" merit badge.

JR1572

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Come on, guys. Compromise is what we need here. It's one of the 'spices of life'.

After giving this much thought, I would be willing to submit to being detained on the roadside for up to but not exceeding one half-hour (again- that's 30 minutes- NOT two hours), provided I am extended the following priviledge:

Once the actual suspect is apprehended, I reserve the right to kick him- with all my might- squarely in the balls, along with any public official who objects to this.

Otherwise, I'll have to continue believing this is overkill, out of line, and has nothing to offer me in return for the unwanted suspension of my civil rights- something I hold pretty GD dearly.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've never been a cop and only worked in a limited capacity in military law enforcement so I am honestly asking this question to LEO on this board because I really want to learn something here.

I understand WHY they did what they did. My question is, did it really need to take 2 hours of being handcuffed on the side of the road to figure out these guys/girls were not the suspect?

I'm like most people here. If a cop pulled me over and said "hey, we have a suspect that escaped and his vehicle matches yours" I'd be happy to get out and let them search my car. No harm done, get back in and I'm on my way. But like Windsorfox said above, after doing that they handcuff me and set me on the side of the road for 2 hours??? Is that really necessary?

I'm honestly trying to understand what would make that necessary and if any LEO can answer that I'd be grateful.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm still waiting on the guy who says he'd be happy being the one in cuffs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom