How many magazines per gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildmanleblanc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Batchelor Louisiana
    Had 3 tours in VietNam, carried 7 Mags for my M-16 (20 Round Mags) and 3 Mags for my 1911. managed to stay alive,if you don't **** off your ammo, 140 rounds will go a long way.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I look at it like this, Its ALOT faster to load a new mag into the gun, than it is to load the mag then load the gun. I think more is better, to a point.
    50 ar mags would be very heavy to tote around.
    I feel for your main battle rifle you should have at least 50, with the ability to carry around 5 on your person, and have at least 10 for each other rifle.
    As for your sidearm, I feel 1 or 2 extra mags on your person is more than enough, and have at least 5 total, per handgun.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Had 3 tours in VietNam, carried 7 Mags for my M-16 (20 Round Mags) and 3 Mags for my 1911. managed to stay alive,if you don't **** off your ammo, 140 rounds will go a long way.

I've always heard standard load-out was 7 USGI mags. Think that's still the standard with 30-rounders. If you plan on burning through 50 mags in a firefight, chances are you're not going to be alive to see half of that get used and you're damn sure not going to carry it in a rush bug-out-bag.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Mag's???? Huh?

One for each bullet.

I shoot a weapon with no clips or mags so uh ZERO

oyhjpl6fupxqesjdt50.jpg

0o1p0kob4v9k1bf9nakn.jpg

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    The "standard load out", to me only applies to military/police. If we went on patrol and a mag was damaged we just traded it in for a new one and went on about life. If we, as civilians, are stuck with what we have and there is no resupply should a mag get damaged then I think the more the merrier should be in your safe. If I have 7 and one gets messed up I only have 6 now. If I have 25 and one gets messed up I'm not as worried.

I read the OP to mean how many total should you have and not how many you should carry. If I'm wrong then I agree that 7 on your person I more than enough.

Top Bottom