how many rounds is a glock 19 good for?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lefty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hattiesburg, MS
    speaking of glocks, i shot one for the first time today, i really liked the trigger but after the first 50 rounds i was ready to throw that thing into the burm. every 3 rounds or so i would get a fte. somewhere between round 150 and 200 i got it worked out to only doing once every 2 or 3 magazines. never had any problems shooting with my 1911 or xd. got any tips because i really want to buy a g19 and am going to continue practicing with the platform to be proficient with it before i buy one.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    speaking of glocks, i shot one for the first time today, i really liked the trigger but after the first 50 rounds i was ready to throw that thing into the burm. every 3 rounds or so i would get a fte. somewhere between round 150 and 200 i got it worked out to only doing once every 2 or 3 magazines. never had any problems shooting with my 1911 or xd. got any tips because i really want to buy a g19 and am going to continue practicing with the platform to be proficient with it before i buy one.

fact is you have the glock and 1911 mixed up. fact. good troll post but we seen it all and glock never lost one sale cause of them.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i tried many times to limp wrist my glock 19. i held the thing so lightly i dropped it(before shooting). i even held it very lightly upside down. never had a limp wrist or any kind of malfunction.

limp wrist myth?

i have mags that been loaded since the early 90s. they where unloaded and loaded at the range quite a bit. no problems yet.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    i tried many times to limp wrist my glock 19. i held the thing so lightly i dropped it(before shooting). i even held it very lightly upside down. never had a limp wrist or any kind of malfunction.

limp wrist myth?

i have mags that been loaded since the early 90s. they where unloaded and loaded at the range quite a bit. no problems yet.

[YOUTUBE]fsewsolPyBU[/YOUTUBE]

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    To answer the OP question, I've been looking at a lot of opinion and hard data in terms of barrel life, coming across overall functional life in the process. Most of the info I was interested in had to do with rifles, but I found the same type of info for pistols in the process.

In terms of rifle barrels, the heavier and hotter loads cause throat erosion faster than the lighter loads. As pistol cartridges do not manage these high pressures, their barrels last longer by default.

Cleaning practices also come into play, more in terms of copper and lead fouling than carbon. More importantly, poor cleaning techniques that damage the lans and especially the crown will wreck a barrel faster than shooting.

Heat is the primary factor for erosion. In terms of rifle barrels, the baseline "least damaging" rate of fire is one round per minute. The data that I've read seems to say that anything between that and 1 round every five-ten seconds is about the same, with a round or more every second being far worse and burst or fully automatic fire being devastating. Again, this is in reference to rifle cartridges, so you can probably scale that number back for the less-potent pistol rounds in question.

Finally, the fact that a Glock barrel is not rifled in the traditional sense leads to longer life. I don't recall the details, but the octagonal barrel doesn't suffer wear at the same rate as a standard rifled barrel.

Basically, as others have pointed out, they last a long, long time. If you're concerned with the guide rods (which seem to be the quoted "weakest" point, although nothing I've found online supports the claim that they break easily), there are multiple, affordable replacement options in stainless steel, titanium or even tungsten.

On top of all that, ponder this. What may be unsuitable for match shooting can easily be more than adequate for plinking or self defense/combat purposes. In other words, it's all relative. How long will the Glock function? Probably longer than you will.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    That little video is a great example of nothing...I can fire any of those pistols with just thumb and trigger finger and get them to go bang &/or I can fire every one of them and get them to fail to extract/fail to eject pretty much on demand.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    anyone ever recorded how many rounds through a glock 19 they shot before its useless? or have they never found the limits to glock perfection?

With my G17, I can shoot 17 rds, or 17+1 before it is useless and I have to reload. Then I get 17 more. It will pretty much continue in that same fashion pretty much forever. I'll get tired of shooting before it will.

dukeryder

RedRyder Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2007
    New Orleans

limp wrist myth?

I know it's not a myth.

I put 1000 rounds or so through both a 17 and 22 with never a problem. EVERYTIME I let my girlfriend shoot either gun she'd have problems with them stovepiping and IIRC feeding problems. It was all 'cause of the limp grip. My SigSauer never had a limp wrist failure though with her shooting it same with the CZ75

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know it's not a myth.

I put 1000 rounds or so through both a 17 and 22 with never a problem. EVERYTIME I let my girlfriend shoot either gun she'd have problems with them stovepiping and IIRC feeding problems. It was all 'cause of the limp grip. My SigSauer never had a limp wrist failure though with her shooting it same with the CZ75

Heavier guns with less muzzle flip and felt recoil.

Top Bottom