How much ammo is enough?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Holliday38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I only got 200 rounds of .38 special +p ammo on hand and with everything going down lately with those people "misunderstanding" their "peaceful" religion and Obama & the liberals talking gun control, I'm thinking I need lots more. So how much ammo is enough?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If you haven't gotten it already your too late panic buying rounds for a revolver is over rated.

Those that feed into this will likely be buying ar/ak mags and rounds of either .223/5. 56 or 7.62

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've got about 3500 rounds of 9mm currently and my dad just placed a big order and said I have 10k additional rounds coming to me.

I need to go to the range soon.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I try for 5-10k depending on caliber. but with the last ammo scare, I've just been burning through my ammo and not buying more.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I found 5k for the rifle to fit nicely in the space I had (stored in Berry's Boxes). But like noob, I've been sending more downrange than buying the past year or so. Still trying to hold out for those great deals, but sadly I don't think the prices I remember are coming back.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've got a large supply of lead, the ability to make my own powder and primers and enough brass to last me centuries.

Combine that with the commercially available materials manufacture over 20K rounds of various calibers and probably 5K loaded, and I feel pretty comfortable that I've got the situation in hand.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    500-1000 rounds per caliber for me.
    :)

This + a half dozen magazines loaded per caliber/firearm.

I don't stockpile tens of thousands of rounds unless it's a really good deal and I plan on shooting it all very soon. I've been known to burn through 500 rounds in a days trip to the range, and that's not just plinking a plate.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Several thousand Carry/Defensive rounds and a good supply of quality range ammunition. I supplied thousands of rounds to people in need during the last dry spell at cost or below with
    No Price Gouging.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    5 years worth of normal shooting.
    I shoot my fathers .30-30 and my grandfathers .22 magnum about 10 rounds a year and ( I don't need 2K for those rifles). I shoot my pistols quite often so I have considerably more ammo for them.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Anger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    Ruston, LA
    I only got 200 rounds of .38 special +p ammo on hand and with everything going down lately with those people "misunderstanding" their "peaceful" religion and Obama & the liberals talking gun control, I'm thinking I need lots more. So how much ammo is enough?

For your revolver, I'd have 500 to 1000 on hand if I were you, and then get into reloading when you shoot down to the 500 loaded point. Revolvers are mighty easy on brass and the brass lasts a long long time.

Rifles are a different animal, I'd add a zero onto the nubmers above.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    What's everyones reasons for their stockpiling? I do have at least 1,000 of .223 and 9mm, and a good bit more of .22. Not sure I need anymore than that? (I don't get to shoot nearly as much as most of you, I at least like to put a couple mags through my carry piece every couple months or so)

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I would really like to have a base line of 5k for each of the calibers I shoot in any significant number. That would be 9mm, .45, .22lr, and 5.56. In truth 10k in 9mm would be better as I shoot it up way faster than anything else. If you take any courses a 2 day'er can toast 1,000 rounds quick.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What's everyones reasons for their stockpiling? I do have at least 1,000 of .223 and 9mm, and a good bit more of .22. Not sure I need anymore than that? (I don't get to shoot nearly as much as most of you, I at least like to put a couple mags through my carry piece every couple months or so)

For me personally, I keep 1000's due to me buying them in 1000's. I used to shoot twice a week, so 150-250 rounds per trip. I can shoot 500 a week (lately I've only been making 1 trip a week to every other week but that's due to job change and baby being born).

So I buy it when it's on sale, and like to buy a couple thousand rounds. I'll burn through it eventually. And want a little more for when prices go up or ammo gets scarce. I should reload, but the wife won't let me put a reloading bench in one of the bedrooms (we have off white carpet).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom