How much ammo is enough?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Man I haven't gone shooting in a couple years.... but i have tons of ammo, brass, primers & bullets...lolol I would like to go one day.
    So you're sponsoring the bullets. Awesome. I'll get the range fees. See RSK... Look what you're missing!

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Two Rules of thumb for me.

1. As much as you can safely and adequately store.
    2. As much as you can reasonably afford.

Using these two criteria in concert with each other, I would have an infinite amount of ammo! ;)

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    You never think you have enough ammo UNTIL you have to move it. When we moved from Lafayette to Houston it took two trips with my F150 for ammo and a third for safe, reloading gear and pew pews.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You never think you have enough ammo UNTIL you have to move it. When we moved from Lafayette to Houston it took two trips with my F150 for ammo and a third for safe, reloading gear and pew pews.

Ha ha! I feel that way when I have to move one ammo can full in my garage just to get to an electrical wall outlet!

In light of your tale of woe, I must amend my previous post to note: My rule is predicated on a person living in one place for a long, long time! :mamoru:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Its really a personal preference. My line of thinking is gun without ammo is about as useful as a car without gas. I keep about 30K on hand but that is several k per caliber I own with about 10K of that in .22.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Funny I was about to post a similar question but with also asking why one would keep as much as they do.
    Personally I keep 300 to 2000 loaded for my most popular cartridges: 9mm, 300blk, 5.56, and 308
    My reasoning has little to do with self defense or the event of ww3, but the rate I use ammo and how often I want to sit down and reload. If another bad shortage comes up I will probably have to slow down my usage given the amount I keep on hand. I would be worried if I had less than 300 rounds each of my popular cartridges and I couldn't find the components I needed to reload more. I really don't think there will be another bad shortage like after sandy hook anytime soon though because those that went crazy over ammo before probably still have enough and are still but hurt over the prices they paid.

My question would be why do some of yall keep 10 to 20k on hand and 100s of mags and such? Just because you enjoy collecting, or concern that youll actually need that much one day, or to supply others during ww3? I have no problem with anyone storing that much ammo, just curious. My thinking is if i have to shoot more than 300 rounds to defend myself and family we're all prolly gunna die anyways.. kinda jk, but kinda serious.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Someone asked John Rockefeller "How much money is enough?".
    His reply "Just a little bit more".

Yep!!

Funny I was about to post a similar question but with also asking why one would keep as much as they do.
    Personally I keep 300 to 2000 loaded for my most popular cartridges: 9mm, 300blk, 5.56, and 308
    My reasoning has little to do with self defense or the event of ww3, but the rate I use ammo and how often I want to sit down and reload. If another bad shortage comes up I will probably have to slow down my usage given the amount I keep on hand. I would be worried if I had less than 300 rounds each of my popular cartridges and I couldn't find the components I needed to reload more. I really don't think there will be another bad shortage like after sandy hook anytime soon though because those that went crazy over ammo before probably still have enough and are still but hurt over the prices they paid.

My question would be why do some of yall keep 10 to 20k on hand and 100s of mags and such? Just because you enjoy collecting, or concern that youll actually need that much one day, or to supply others during ww3? I have no problem with anyone storing that much ammo, just curious. My thinking is if i have to shoot more than 300 rounds to defend myself and family we're all prolly gunna die anyways.. kinda jk, but kinda serious.

Well, relatively speaking, mags are cheap, and those that lived through the ban in the 90s and remember $100, $200, $1,000 "pre-ban" mags and it's easy to justify buying another 20 mags at $9 each.

Same thing with ammo really. Sandy hook was just a news story and speculation, and the shelves were cleared for months. We're still living with the after effects of that. An actual law passed limiting ammo purchase, taxing ammo, etc. would be catastrophic. Having to wait in line early in the morning for a delivery truck, and having a two box limit, essentially ends the fun of going to the range on any sort of regular basis.

There are definitely guys who think the world is going to end, but I think most of us just enjoy ownership and going to the range, and don't want anything to stop that. Ammo lasts forever, why not own a lifetime's supply.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    Stocking up on mags is not a bad investment. After Sandy Hook, Pmags were going for $150. You can get them on sale from time to time for $10. Order enough and you get free shipping. I'd say that's a pretty good profit when, not if, they decide to ban them.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    It's simple really...

Buy as much as your wife can stand...

...then buy a little more. When discovered, say "oh baby, I didn't get anymore, we've had that for a while now."

It sorta works for me...I don't get the nasty looks when new guns show up in the safe anymore, just a head shake and a sigh. LOL ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom