How much does your Bug Out Bag weigh?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I hate to disagree with you Goat...

You live in the city. You don't think a riot can develop quickly? Economic, race riot, etc? How about a disaster at a chemical or nuclear plant (Norco or Taft?) causing a rapid evacuation and the ensuing panic?

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Iron bars on the doors and windows on the second floor. That being said there isn't much people would want to get from me being that I am just a poor college kid, **** I might join in :squint: If there was a CBERN or HAZMAT type of emergency I don't believe there is much more I could do short of MOPP gear. lol. If I was worried about the next Chernobyl I wouldn't live in a city.
    So you could call my outlook about it as, "not likely" and I don't put much worrying into something I have limited control over. I realize that I posted that comment into the wrong section and it was both borderline rude and trolling. I do see myself crapping my pants before the next great rise of the clan or panthers or whatever.

MICLIC

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hi. I have a 3 day assault pack on the ready. Curious to know what you fellas think about the 1/4 to 1/3rd body weight carrying rule that I read about on some forums. I figure you can over pack (to a reasonable degree) what you can haul for a certain amount of time and distance, while discarding discretionary weight when needed / as you go.

Also - what is your go to " bug out " boot? Considering the situation and available options -> I have a pair of ultra light Converse boots for everyday mobility and some Danner Acadia " Hot" boots for off road. The Converse boots are comfortable, but would not last long in the bush. If the situation calls for only one pair of hush puppies & no options > it's the Danners.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I do not recall what mine weights-in at, but these are my contents. This bag would serve a get home or get out bag and would cater to me having or not having my primary and secondary firearms.
    Primary- My AR of course. Her name is Prima
    Sidearm- XD40
    I really F'd up sidearm- Colt 1911 MKIV Gold Cup

IN BAG - 100rd 5.56, 50rd .40cal, 2 mags .45acp w/ Colt 1911
    safety glasses, electronic ear muffs, belt, 100'para cord, 2 bottles water (rotate your water), 1 MREs, 2 Midland radios, Batteries (4 CR123A, 8 AAA, 4 AA in Tynergy cases) small LED maglight, large LED maglight, Green poncho, yellow poncho, water proof matches, ear plugs, magnesium fire starter, Zippo, M4 cleaning kit, 2 pair latex gloves, 2 emergency blankets, red sharpie, Hoppes oil, Hoppes solvent, 1 ammo can, pair of socks, bug bands, toothbrush, tooth paste, alcohol wipes.
    Exterior BAG - 50' climbing cord, 2 XD mags in pouch, sm trauma kit, Mechanix fastfit gloves, 6" Cutco knife, hat

This bag holds no cold weather or shelter. I have actually been using it as a quick range bag. I do have a larger bag that can fit most of the above plus a Eureka Spitfire tent and Eureka silvercity sleeping bag along with a change of clothes. I weight 138lbs, and my total weight never passes 200lbs. Bag plus PC w/rifle.

MY bag is nearly 3 years old and has been tested on hikes, single day trips, multiday trips... it has never returned from a trip and not been changed for the next trip. Gear changes, Items come and Items go. Fact is, I still am not happy with it.
    SO I too look for recommendations.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Miclic,

For boots anywhere in the south I prefer Merrel hiking shoes. Actually, I'd wear those 24/7 if I could get away with it at work!
    If you get into really mountainous terrain you might want the extra ankle support of a real boot.

Top Bottom