How much food do you have put away?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Based on a 2000 calorie daily intake, how much food to you have standing by? Days, weeks, months, years?

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    MRE's have a shelf live of about 5 years if kept cool. 1 MRE is about 1200 calories. My wife and I have made it a habit of each time we go grocery shopping to pick up for the 3 of us 1 canned vegetable, 1 canned fruit, and 1 canned protein. Thats about an extra 20-25 dollars on the bill, and we make sure to buy what we usually use. We've done this for about a year. Once the habit is formed, you dont notice, it just becomes automatic. We also have the rule that if you use a can, you replace it with two.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    We usually buy extra around hurricane season if a storm looks like it might come our way. Otherwise I don't see a need for it. I don't believe allot of the doom and gloom guys that the world is going to hell and there will be mass riots, ect....

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I just went through my stores over the weekend, for food I figure I can go about 3 months without resupply, I'm shorter on water right over a month in storage if I go by one gallon per person per day. I need to store more water .

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    We usually buy extra around hurricane season if a storm looks like it might come our way. Otherwise I don't see a need for it. I don't believe allot of the doom and gloom guys that the world is going to hell and there will be mass riots, ect....

Extra food is more along the lines of a form of savings account. Its reassuring to know that my family can keep eating if I were to be out of a job for any length of time, or in the case of the highways becoming impassible for whatever reason and those walmart trucks get delayed. So you see no reason to keep a supply of extra ammunition on hand either?

peacemakr72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Im new to this forum, been kinda lurking for past month or so. But,,.... I am an avid student of news reports from around the world. There is a large group of educated economists, political scientists and socialologists that are predicting interruption of our food supplies by the middle of this year. I hope they are wrong, but in the event they are right I have followed the Morman code of preparedness..... 1 year supply for your family. I am not in their group but they have this down to a science....
    1. 60 lbs rice per adult for a year.
    2. 60 lbs pinto beans per......
    3. 60 lbs black beans per
    4. Salt, Honey.....
    5. Water or sport drinks.
    Sealed in food grade 5 gal. pails with oxygen chaser packes sealed with a rubber ring seal, stored in climate controlled environment, they should last 20 years.
    Add in some canned meat and your good to go.
    There is at most a three day food supply in stores across this nation.
    Hungry people can do crazy things.... so put your AK AR SKS close to your pantry.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Thanks for the info Paupton, have any web links for more?

www.providentliving.org is the LDS website, you can find tons of good into on there.

For the question, I've got enough to sustain my family of 5 for over a year, not including livestock and our garden. Without the fresh food, eating will be very boring.

For those of you stockpiling large quantities of beans, might I recommend the LARGEST can of Tony Chacherie's you can get your hands on.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    We probably could live for about a month without hitting the store, with exception of milk. I guess I better add some powdered milk to the back of the pantry for my son.....

We also planted a garden, it is amazingly easy using raised beds and quality soil (compost, manure, peat moss in ours) We have not had any "fruit" yet but most plants look healthy, the only plants we had to replace were cucumbers that got too cold, they didn't freeze but I did not realize they could not take temps of 35f.

We are also trying potatoes of different varieties in containers and Grow bags, let me say the vines took off like wildfire I just hope there are potatoes under the soil.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I was in Idaho last weekend. We were in a store and they were selling 50 lbs bags of powdered milk! I asked a friend who the hell needs 50 lbs of powdered milk. She explained that the Mormons use it for preparedness. These were huges sacks.. I would have no place to store them.

Top Bottom