How much interest is there for a modern, premium indoor range on the Westbank?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    If pricing is competitive to the area, and inventory has the right mix, I think customers would be easily persuaded to bring in their business. From all the business models I’ve seen, and actual P&L statements, retail sales are what make or break good indoor ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Oh I agree 100%. I just don’t see the market to support it on the westbank.

It's there, you just have to build it and not let it become overrun with fuddy duddy herp derps.

You'd be surprised how many people are on the West Bank that do cool guy ****, but don't go on Bayoushooter. They are on Facebook though :run:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It's there, you just have to build it and not let it become overrun with fuddy duddy herp derps.

You'd be surprised how many people are on the West Bank that do cool guy ****, but don't go on Bayoushooter. They are on Facebook though :run:

Well I’m all for any and all new ranges to do good so hopefully it works out.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Bayou Dragon... I seem to remember the ventillation not being very good. Its been a while though.

You need lots of classroom space for CCW type classes. Advanced classes are great but the money will be in the CCW classes and they associated sales.
    Getting $3MM of financing from a bank is not going to be easy either in this environment.
    I bet you could sell a lot of hi points and other cheap guns. Do you want to be 'that' gun store. There's always been one in the area (Chalmette, the one on Jefferson hwy and causeway, the one on david dr before it became shooters club...) that sold a lot of cheap guns and eventually got shut down. The location has that potential...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

I can attest to this. There are many! I get to interact with many of them on a regular basis. These two words help trim down on that at a range facility: membership only.

Last edited:

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. It was my birthday on Saturday, and I had to recover yesterday.

So if anyone is seriously interested or wants to help get the word out I have started a GoFundMe.com page. Yes I'm asking for help, but it also serves as a means of showing the interest in the idea if and when I have to go to a bank or private investors for serious money.

Last edited by a moderator:

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Bayou Dragon... I seem to remember the ventillation not being very good. Its been a while though.

You need lots of classroom space for CCW type classes. Advanced classes are great but the money will be in the CCW classes and they associated sales.
    Getting $3MM of financing from a bank is not going to be easy either in this environment.
    I bet you could sell a lot of hi points and other cheap guns. Do you want to be 'that' gun store. There's always been one in the area (Chalmette, the one on Jefferson hwy and causeway, the one on david dr before it became shooters club...) that sold a lot of cheap guns and eventually got shut down. The location has that potential...

CCW and other training would be heavily emphasized. This is not only the real money maker, but also something that I am passionate about and believe we need more of in our community.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. It was my birthday on Saturday, and I had to recover yesterday.

So if anyone is seriously interested or wants to help get the word out I have started a GoFundMe.com page. Yes I'm asking for help, but it also serves as a means of showing the interest in the idea if and when I have to go to a bank or private investors for serious money.

-

Creating a kickstarter campaign would be ideal. I would never donate money to a business without compensation.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Creating a kickstarter campaign would be ideal. I would never donate money to a business without compensation.

A donation without compensation is just that, a donation.
    If you expect compensation (in the form of goods or services received) that wouldn't be a donation. It would be a purchase.

I do see your point about using Kickstarter instead of gofundme though. He might get a better financial response with the promise of some sort of benefit if/when he opens a range.

Raising funds for a range may be considered by Kickstarter as a "prohibited item" and might not be allowed.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    A donation without compensation is just that, a donation.
    If you expect compensation (in the form of goods or services received) that wouldn't be a donation. It would be a purchase.

I do see your point about using Kickstarter instead of gofundme though. He might get a better financial response with the promise of some sort of benefit if/when he opens a range.

Raising funds for a range may be considered by Kickstarter as a "prohibited item" and might not be allowed.

Lots of folks donate to LSU athletics with compensation, but I digress :run:

Kickstarters generally work better for an upcoming business, because you can offer tiers of compensation. I wouldn't know if it's a prohibited item on Kickstarter or not, but it seems like a generally better option than just asking for start up money. That usually comes in the form of a loan...

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Lots of folks donate to LSU athletics with compensation, but I digress :run:

Kickstarters generally work better for an upcoming business, because you can offer tiers of compensation. I wouldn't know if it's a prohibited item on Kickstarter or not, but it seems like a generally better option than just asking for start up money. That usually comes in the form of a loan...

I tried setting up donation rewards on gofundme but they were removed because it violated their terms of service by raising money that could be directly used towards firearms and/or accessories etc. I state that their would be “recognition “ for medium to large donors. What I had that was removed were membership tiers for certain levels of donation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, it wasn’t Kickstarter that financed through loans, but they have no category for what I’m trying to accomplish. Indiegogo was set up that way.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm not comfortable with a GoFundMe page being broadcasted on here this early on in the phase of starting a range. Starting up an LLC is relatively inexpensive. 65k is a drop in the bucket for what it will cost to get a ball that sized rolling. I'm worried that much of it would go towards "business cell phone, laptop computer, and possibly a [...] camera." I don't think BayouShooter is the most prudent method for advertising to look for angel-investors. You should draft up a full business plan, pick out possible locations with real estate analysis conducted, and then talk with a bank or an investment company, as well as multiple attorneys. It's not an easy process and isn't something that a few bucks here and there from our members will really affect at all.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of the $65k, spread across this, though:

"My goal amount is to cover initial startup costs. This will cover the costs of starting up an LLC, research, consultant fees, and any other costs associated with initial start up. If phase one is successful then there will be more fundraising towards actually building the business."

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of the $65k, spread across this, though:

"My goal amount is to cover initial startup costs. This will cover the costs of starting up an LLC, research, consultant fees, and any other costs associated with initial start up. If phase one is successful then there will be more fundraising towards actually building the business."

I’m working on all of that and as soon as I have hard numbers they will be in an investors portfolio. If I had enough money to do it on my own I wouldn’t use gofundme. I am in contact with a local lawyer and another business consultant right now. I am scouting possible locations and researching zoning regulations. 65k is a big number but I didn’t want to start off small in my aspirations. It is relatively cheap to start an LLC, but there is a lot more to just registering a name. There is federal and state paperwork needed to be filed in order to set up business checking and savings accounts, which is where I would direct the majority of the funds once those are set up. I want to keep everything related to the business separate from my personal finances for accounting and auditing purposes. I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m embezzling money donated to the actual business.

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Then it's not the greatest of times to be asking for donations.

Look, I started this thread for ideas on the range itself. I’m not trying to be rude, but I put the link on here so people can see I’m actually trying to get this done. If you don’t want to donate you don’t have to. I’m being as honest and open as possible.

If I think something is a good idea and I can give $5-10 bucks towards it I wouldn’t ask for a full on business plan and accounting spreadsheet. Now if I was going to give 100 or more that’s a different thing. I appreciate the feedback I’ve gotten, though.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Look, I started this thread for ideas on the range itself. I’m not trying to be rude, but I put the link on here so people can see I’m actually trying to get this done. If you don’t want to donate you don’t have to. I’m being as honest and open as possible.

If I think something is a good idea and I can give $5-10 bucks towards it I wouldn’t ask for a full on business plan and accounting spreadsheet. Now if I was going to give 100 or more that’s a different thing. I appreciate the feedback I’ve gotten, though.

Oh I don't care about the link. I just think someone asking for startup money hasn't thought things through very well.

$5-10 donations are not gonna get $65k from the tiny firearms community.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom