how much water to store?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i know we all need 500,000 + .22lr rounds stored but how much water per person do they recommend?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    i know we all need 500,000 + .22lr rounds stored but how much water per person do they recommend?

depends on who "they" is.

personally im more concerned with ways to obtain or purify water sources as opposed to actually stockpiling water. During hurricanes etc I just fill the bathtubs. In my cabin I've probably got 50-60 gallons of drinking water. Water could be drinking, cooking, bathing, doing dishes, pets needs, etc. Impractical in my opinion to store as much as you'd need. Much wiser to prepare ways to obtain clean water.

Lifestraws are amazing by the way.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think the recommendation is one gallon per person per day.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    another vote for the life straw. I don't need pure water to bathe, and I've eaten off dishes done in creeks and what not, I'm most worried about the water I consume in quantities for thirst.

pet needs? my dog will drink water from the toilet my kid forget to flush after a #2 and it doesn't phase her a bit.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    another vote for the life straw. I don't need pure water to bathe, and I've eaten off dishes done in creeks and what not, I'm most worried about the water I consume in quantities for thirst.

pet needs? my dog will drink water from the toilet my kid forget to flush after a #2 and it doesn't phase her a bit.

lol i should have said "livestock", point taken.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    depends on who "they" is.

personally im more concerned with ways to obtain or purify water sources as opposed to actually stockpiling water. During hurricanes etc I just fill the bathtubs. In my cabin I've probably got 50-60 gallons of drinking water. Water could be drinking, cooking, bathing, doing dishes, pets needs, etc. Impractical in my opinion to store as much as you'd need. Much wiser to prepare ways to obtain clean water.

Lifestraws are amazing by the way.
    This is correct, depending on the senerio you cannot store enough. Purify is the way to go.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'm with the rest of the guys here. Purification is the way to go. Get a good filter and store a few gallons on the side for immediate use and call it a day. A good reputable company to check out is Berkey.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

That being said, where I am I always have access to non potable water that I can filter and drink. If you have absolutely no water sources available then storing may be the only way to go. I have a friend in AZ that has no ground water what so ever so he uses huge tanks on his property to store rain water then filters that if needed.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    One thing I have thought long and hard about in the area we are not lacking in water... and if your circumstances warrant you to be on the run, then by all means a live straw or one of the many choices out there of portable water filters..
    On the other hand, if you are just wanting to have peace of mind, Why not buy a bag of pool shock, the bleach only form.. not the anti algi combined with it..
    One small bag will make 10,000 gallons of water safe to drink.. usually one small bag is around 1 pound..

Remember hygiene is also a very high priority with any type of cataclysmic event and 10 % bleach concentration kills anything.. so, you can make strong bleach with the pool shock, treat your drinking water, cleaning water and bath water... from one source. the bleach bottle... remember bleach DOES lose its efficacy in short time, so pre made bleach is not a good idea to store..

Oh, and Dont mix up the drinking water, and bath water..

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Went through this a while back. We have a DEEP water well, down bore water pump, and a 500 gal tank. After calculating how much generator and fuel it would take just to pressure up the tank when needed I decided a good hand pump would be far better to have. I invested in a good one because I only want to deal with it once, and I don't want to have to remember to maintain seals, etc. Got a Bison (http://bisonpumps.com/shallow-well-hand-pump/). Expensive, but one hell of a nice pump. I plumbed it into the wellhead with a cutoff valve so that the electric pump works normally. If you want to hand pump you just turn the valve. YOU DO HAVE TO REMEMBER to pull the breaker when the valve is closed to the electric pump though or it will kick on and blow the whole works off.

I found the pump will fill a 5 gal bucket in 5-6 strokes, and since the spout has a normal hose bib I can use a normal hose to pump water to an RV, water gardens, fill containers, etc. Once the pump is primed good, if I leave the pump handle in the up position I can use my solar powered pump if I want to move alot of water. Works very well. I even have a couple of 50 gal drums on the roof of my barn painted black so I can store hot water for a shower when needed.

Top Bottom